Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ASK DBS: Need help setting up for OTA broadcasts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ptamlptmch

ptamlptmch

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:46 PM

I have my antenna installed (Terk HDTVo) and when I connect directly to my tv I receive local analog stations, so I at least know it works. Now I'm having problems when I connect to the 8VSB port on the 921 receiver. I do a scan for both ATV and DTV channels and it continues to say processing, but the yellow channel bar never actually moves. Can anyone please help me?! I want to get the major networks in HD and should be within the necessary range. Also, the HD channels end in .1, so how do I get the .1 extension entered?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:22 PM

I have my antenna installed (Terk HDTVo) and when I connect directly to my tv I receive local analog stations, so I at least know it works. Now I'm having problems when I connect to the 8VSB port on the 921 receiver. I do a scan for both ATV and DTV channels and it continues to say processing, but the yellow channel bar never actually moves. Can anyone please help me?! I want to get the major networks in HD and should be within the necessary range. Also, the HD channels end in .1, so how do I get the .1 extension entered?

Sounds like a bad 8vsb tuner.

As far as getting in the HD stations. You only need to tune in the primary Digital channel, and it will detect all the sub channels (one or more) that exist.

e.g WABC 7 in NY broadcast as WABC-dt on channel 45. If you manually tune and lock 45, channels 7.1, 7.2 and 73 end up being added.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#3 OFFLINE   ptamlptmch

ptamlptmch

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:14 PM

Finally got it somewhat working. After scanning analog stations again quite a few came up and the major networks are very clear. But now I don't understand why the digital scan yields nothing, since antennaweb.org shows those stations as having the same compass orientation. Any ideas?

#4 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:13 PM

How far away are you form the transmitters? It's possible that you can get the analog stations but not their digital counterparts. There are a couple of stations in my area where I have that very same problem. These stations are running extremely low power on their digital transmitters, only the closest receivers get a lock. Fortunately I live in "ground zero" for the majority of the stations in my DMA, it's only the "Rim Shots" (stations outside the central area of the DMA with transmitters located in the outer reaches of the DMA) that give me problems. I get 2 "Rim Shot" stations (~25 miles away), but only by putting an A/B switch on my antenna set-up. A 3rd Rim Shot fromt he same general area is not locking, I hear that they are running at only 1KW. One other 1KW transmitter is close enough that an antenna adjustment gets that station, but I just barely get it - at 3.5 miles away :eek:
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#5 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:20 PM

Finally got it somewhat working. After scanning analog stations again quite a few came up and the major networks are very clear. But now I don't understand why the digital scan yields nothing, since antennaweb.org shows those stations as having the same compass orientation. Any ideas?

Specify you DMA and approximate distance and direction from you stations antennas.

In general if you get analog you should be able to get your digital stations, but.... Lots of exceptions. Low powered diigital. Some locations that get to much multipath, etc.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#6 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:31 AM

did you try to add chan manualy and see what signal you get on each one.

spam firewall