Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Moving" to get locals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   btownsend

btownsend

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:19 PM

I am new at this so how do I move to get my locals. I want the Atlanta locals and have relatives there that I can use as my mailing address if need be. MY zip code is 39567 and am located near biloxi ms. I also want to know if it is illegal and if directv can have me fined for doing it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,913 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:43 PM

I don't think you would be able to do it. Locals are transmitted on what are called "spot beams" that only cover a limited geographic area. They are limited to something in the general area of 100 to maybe 150 miles. So you would be too far away to be able to even see the Atlanta spot beams.

As to legality, I believe it is contrary to federal regulations that govern television coverage to various markets. DirecTV won't do it knowingly.

While it is not a solution for high volume, or high quality, viewing, you might look into a device called Slingbox. Put a slingbox at your parents house - you can watch it on your pc wherever you are. You would need a high speed internet connection at both ends.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:18 PM

You would have check transponder 26 of the 101 satellite and see how strong it is. Atlanta locals are on that transponder. However, so are the San Antonio locals.

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:14 PM

Even if you get a signal from the transponder, that doesn't mean you are getting a signal from the Atlanta spot beam. The odds are that Biloxi, MS is out of range from Atlanta's beam.

#5 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:14 PM

This is a site I found awhile ago. According to it, the Atlanta spot is #22 which you could get from NC but you will not get from MS.

#6 OFFLINE   ADent

ADent

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:42 AM

If you take your receiver to your relatives house you need to call DirecTV and tell them your new service address. You can still leave your billing address at your house.

When you get home you are supposed to call again and reset your service address.

#7 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for posting this btownsend. For some time now I’ve been advocating letting people like you have access to the TV stations of cities other than the one they’re in and more often than not people here reply with claims that nobody is interested. This in the face of high dollar business start-ups such as Sling Box, expanded services by existing companies such as TiVo to Go and posts on discussion boards by people like you. This only proves there is a demand for distant city local TV.

By way of background, the reason we cannot currently watch TV stations from other cities has to do with protecting the market exclusive copyrights of the city you’re in. For example, Channel 25 in Gulf Port wants to be the ONLY TV station where you can watch the Superbowl. If anyone could watch any TV station in the country they want it would be difficult for home town TV stations to get ratings and thus the commercial revenue needed to continue to earn profits and operate as half of America would gravitate to the New York and Los Angeles stations if permitted. This is a valid concern for local TV stations.

Long story made short, the local TV lobby has ridden the satellite TV’s growth in the courts, in congress and in behind closed door negotiations that has created legal restrictions as well as a culture of deterrence to anyone who wants access to out of town local TV stations. In my humble opinion the industry has taken a wrong approach that will in the end cause overwhelming harm to local TV stations and some degree of injury to the satellite TV industry for 2 reasons: you can’t stop technology and in business you always give the customers what they want. A better approach is to come up with a formula whereby customers who want distant market programming can pay for it that compensates all affected parties especially your local TV stations for having to share copyrighted material. Since this is not what’s happening people are circumventing the barriers and the people who would otherwise be entitled to just compensation are being left out.

• Networks are offering their programs on the Internet
• Cable TV is offering pay-per-view on demand network programs commercial free.
• DVRs are steadily destroying the commercial break revenue business model local TV stations live by since hardly anyone will sit through and watch commercials if they can press a couple of buttons on their remote and skip right past them.
• Sling Box is giving people easy access to any market in the country via the Internet

These are all only a start. I think its only a matter of time before people will be allowed to subscribe to commercial free HD national network programming at the highest quality via cable and on demand as the traditional local TV industry digs in their heels and holds on to the past.

Anyway, enough of my soapboxing :-). Based on the circumstances of where you are now is it possible that you’re doing temporary hurricane reconstruction work? If so on DISH Network (not DirecTV) the 4 Atlanta Nework stations:

-WSB ABC-2
-WXIA NBC-11
-WAGA FOX-5
-WGNX CBS-46

are on national feeds for specific customers. By national feeds (aka CONUS) they are not subject to reception within a spotbeam footprint but are available anywhere in North America. Those customers include people who own RVs. If you don’t mind buying or leasing an RV to live in while you’re in Mississippi you can legally subscribe to these stations with DISH Network. Of course, check first to be sure before you make any major step like getting an RV but it might make sense if you're a young single guy only in MS for a while, are living out of a suitcase anyway and want to have the Atlanta channels. With an RV you can rent space at a campground and hook up it utilities and when the gig is up, sell it to someone.

#8 OFFLINE   crowtoo

crowtoo

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:29 PM

By way of background, the reason we cannot currently watch TV stations from other cities has to do with protecting the market exclusive copyrights of the city you’re in. For example, Channel 25 in Gulf Port wants to be the ONLY TV station where you can watch the Superbowl. If anyone could watch any TV station in the country they want it would be difficult for home town TV stations to get ratings and thus the commercial revenue needed to continue to earn profits and operate as half of America would gravitate to the New York and Los Angeles stations if permitted. This is a valid concern for local TV stations.

Thanks for explaining this to all of us. I was under the assumption that this is how it all works but it is nice to read it all spelled out.

In my opinion there is a major flaw in this logic. I have D* and get the local channels package and I live in Maryland. The only thing they are getting from me is the $5.99 local fee. Just because I am paying for "local" channels doesn't mean I will be watching them. There is no guarantee that their "local" commercials they air will get viewed by a single person who subscribes to their local channels on sat. Therefore as long as I am willing to keep paying the fee for my local network channels I should be able to pay an extra $6 for any other cities local channels that I desire (spot beam issues not withstanding).

The current setup frustates me for several reasons. Where I live I am approx 35 miles from Baltimore and I'm the same distance from DC, literally within a mile or two. Why can't I get both cities local stations? If I use an antenna, I can recieve both cites stations with no problems, if I subscribe to cable (Adelphia) I can get both cities stations in my basic package, but with D* I don't even have the OPTION to PAY EXTRA for DC stations. Another issue is that they do goofy things with the DMA's and my friend who is 10-15 miles farther from DC has DC locals as his only choice. What sense does all that make? And it wasn't too long ago that the DC & Baltimore areas were considered a single DMA. Who decided it would a good idea to break them up? Someone who stood to make more money on the deal somehow, I'm sure.

Also there are times when I am too busy on a particular day/night and I would love to have the option to watch regualr priemtime programming on a 2 or 3 hour delayed basis. As long as they get my fee for my own locals why can't I also pay for Los Angeles local stations for just this purpose if I wish?

This is a policy that needs to be changed, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Chris

#9 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:39 PM

They will likely change the DC/Baltimore thing once they get around to launching the Neighboring Signifigantly Viewed channels service. Also the locals are only $3 on D*, not $5.99

#10 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:38 PM

Thanks crowtoo. I sometimes fear that I'm being a pain about this but its someting I care about and not only do I get to share are learn about this with satellite TV's insiders here, everytime somebody googles "distant market TV" it could point them to one of my posts here. In fact I just did to see what came up and it and one of my posts here was the first result!!! You know, I ought to come up with a signature that makes no sense but draws people who care about this together. LOL

Anyway, hang in there. The squeeky wheel gets the grease. Make noise. Contact the TV stations in the markets you want to see. Write your congressman and senators. Write D* and E*. I've seen posts of mine make it to the satellite channel line ups twice. Coincindence? maybe, maybe not. And feel free to use my suggestions:

1. offering distant market TV when the local news is on (on a schedulle or embed an "open the channel sensor" only when local news is on originating at the local station via one of the unused closed captioning subcarriers) as to protect home market station copyrights on national programs.

or

2. Allow satellite subscribers to pay a royalty to their local affiliate equivalent to the annual revenue that household reprsents to the station alllowing him to buy out of market exclusivity and see stations of that network from other cities (subscription to NFL ST also required to get CBS and FOX stations in other markets... I know someone was going to think football makes is impossible).

Most of what I learned about this subject I learned here especially from Greg Brimson. He doesn't see eye to eye with me on most of this but he took the time to explain why the rules are as they are. Others have helped too.

#11 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

If I use an antenna, I can recieve both cites stations with no problems

Use the antenna then.

Also there are times when I am too busy on a particular day/night and I would love to have the option to watch regualr priemtime programming on a 2 or 3 hour delayed basis. As long as they get my fee for my own locals why can't I also pay for Los Angeles local stations for just this purpose if I wish?

Get a DVR. That's exactly the kind of thing they are good for.

I don't see why D*, FCC, FTC or whoever is involved would need to change to accommodate things like that when there are already viable alternatives and trying to make those changes would take huge investment - especially compared to the number of people who are likely to go to that extreme. I'd like to see the response of those who would never utilize that kind of thing when their rates went through the roof passing on that kind of cost.

Would it be nice if that could happen? Probably. Is it reasonable to be angry that it's not happening? Maybe, but I just don't see it.

I still remember when all we had was rabbit ears. I don't think that damaged anybody.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...