Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I am making a mistake getting Direct TV?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mantronix

Mantronix

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:28 PM

Hi everyone. This is my 1st post here and sorry to sound like a noob. My girlfriend and I are together moving into the New Olreans area soon. The cable provider is Cox cable within that area. In all honestly I'm not too happy about Cox cable but it's not the devil in my eyes. I can tolerate it. She has experiece with Direct TV and she swears by it. She suggested we shoul dget Direct TV. Where I'm currently living I have Time Warner cable company with HD receiver and HD package. I love HD!!! From the package deals, reception, channel listing is a better deal to get Direct TV opposed to cable? I know this is a Direct TV forum and the opinions may be biased but if anyone should know the pros and cons it would be here. I just want an honest unbiased opinion before we get into this. Any info would help. Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Larry_Rymal

Larry_Rymal

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

I'm new here, as well.

Ok, that's a toughie. I have had DirecTV since 1995, having had purchased it after protesting my local experiences with the cable company. I think doing that revealed my inner character on this stuff. I hate FM radio, so have satellite radio in my truck. And, if I had a wind-generator, I would get rid of my utility service with the electric company!!!!

So, I think I'm biased....

BUT, at this point in time, I think HDTV is in extreme transition and ***IF*** the local cable company has a matured implimentaton of HDTV on its service, then it probably has the better HDTV---for now. These next three years are going to be really interesting for HDTV.

So, if New Orleans cable HDTV is really good, and this is familiar territory for you, well, it is a no-brainer. With the post-hurricane reconstruction there, I have to speculate that they are removing all legacy stuff and developing a new infrastructure from scratch. That could really be a good thing.

HOWEVER, you are talking about keeping the girl friend happy. Now, we are treading into an area that "angels fear to tread". You had really better think beyond logic here!!!

#3 OFFLINE   Mantronix

Mantronix

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:45 PM

Hahah well she won't put me in the doghouse if we go with cable. I've been reading up on Direct TV for the past few days because within the next week I will make my decision on what to get. I've spoken with friends who own DT and they say the picture is better than your cable company. BestBuy has a special going on where if your purchase a Direct TV HD H20 receiver you get a $200.00 mail in rebate for it. That is practically a free receiver.

On a side note if I do get this receiver should I go with the HDMI cables or stick with component? I'm not sure if the picture quality will be that noticable.

#4 OFFLINE   jharper04

jharper04

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:22 PM

Hahah well she won't put me in the doghouse if we go with cable. I've been reading up on Direct TV for the past few days because within the next week I will make my decision on what to get. I've spoken with friends who own DT and they say the picture is better than your cable company. BestBuy has a special going on where if your purchase a Direct TV HD H20 receiver you get a $200.00 mail in rebate for it. That is practically a free receiver.

On a side note if I do get this receiver should I go with the HDMI cables or stick with component? I'm not sure if the picture quality will be that noticable.

Big warning DTV HD programming offering is pitiful. Check carefully what you would be getting. SD DVR recievers would be free if I remember correctly. At leastv through 2/28.

Also, be aware od 3/1 rumored price increases of 3-4 per package so a lot depends on the optioin in your area.

#5 OFFLINE   Larry_Rymal

Larry_Rymal

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:23 PM

Hahah well she won't put me in the doghouse if we go with cable. ...On a side note if I do get this receiver should I go with the HDMI cables or stick with component? I'm not sure if the picture quality will be that noticable.

You are far braver than I ever would be :nono2:

I can't answer about the HDMI cables, other than what you already have in possession and what the ultimate cost would be. I would just start off slowly and if need be, go HDMI only if you have to.

#6 OFFLINE   BretM

BretM

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:00 PM

There was a story on the News about 2 weeks ago that New Orleans is getting lots Fiber from your local Telco (Bell South or SBC - now AT&T). I'd be concerned about commitments to DirecTv when the better deal may be Fiber TV. At least with Cable, you can keep your options open for a while.

#7 OFFLINE   rabit ears

rabit ears

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

I've subscribed to DTV since 1995. The first few years were interesting and the picture quality was outstanding. The interesting parts were fighting the local building code to mount my dish and then the local outlets to get network channels.

I could tell you a very long story about my relationship with DTV, but my best advice would be to tell you to stay as far away from them as you can. Since Fox purchased a 1/3rd interest, the business model has become draconian and the product quality really sucks.

I have no love for the Cox sisters and their communications empire, but they can't be nearly as bad as DTV. Basically, if you go with DTV, you'll have a long term commitment, you'll have a heavy upfront investment in equipment, and you'll be dealing with some of the worst low life scum on the planet in their installers.

I plan on moving in the next six months and at that time I'll drop DTV, pay their separation fee and never again have anything to do with them. In the mean time, I'll hang around these boards telling people to stay away, doing business with DirecTV is a real nightmare.

#8 OFFLINE   Larry_Rymal

Larry_Rymal

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:30 PM

Weird.... likewise, since 1995 for me. I have had a great relationship with DirecTV. Admittedly, I use DirecTV and watch the tube. Don't fool around with it much more than that.

The local cable company is horrendous which is the reason I went with DirecTV back in '95. I don't know anything about their business model, or the sisters, or whatever. Maybe ignorance is bliss.....

#9 OFFLINE   Captain TV

Captain TV

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:52 PM

Don't subscribe to Directv. I' ve been a subscriber since the Directv/USSB days and I'll be bailing shortly myself. The HD offering is poor, the only channels they have added are either shopping, religous, gay or the Al Bore channel. The picture quality has dropped and all you get from customer service is lip service. Run don't walk to your cable co. or Dish network. Good luck.

#10 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:03 PM

But they do have Sunday Ticket. The reason I keep staying!!!!

If you're a sports fan, DTV is your ONLY option.

Actually, I haven't noticed PQ problems and when I've called CS I haven't had problems. Everyone has their own stories!

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,992 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:43 AM

Since you say you're interested in HD then I'd recommend trying Cox to begin with and then if you're unhappy give D* a try. I'm a D* customers that's just had Comcast installed because ot D*'s limited HD offering's and even the HD channel that provide have had their resolution downconverted and bandwidth limited due to bandwidth constraints. If you go with new D* hardware you'll be making a 2 year commitment where you either have to return the hardware or pay a prorated termination charge. D*'s also supposed to be moving to a leased hardware only system starting 3/1 so you might want to see how all that's going to fall out.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#12 OFFLINE   pudge44

pudge44

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:16 PM

I've been a DTV subscriber since 1999. I'm jumping to HD this week and sticking with them for one reason: NFL Sunday Ticket.

Don't get me wrong, my DTV experience has been a positive one. No CS complaints, no equipment failures, etc. But at this point, I think the HD offerings are probably better with cable, but that could change in the next few years.

However, if you're like me a big NFL fan that roots for an out-of-town team, there's really no choice. As long as DTV keeps ponying up for the exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket, I'll be a subscriber. If not for that, I'd probably at least explore cable.

#13 OFFLINE   kayzersoze

kayzersoze

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:40 AM

Don't subscribe to Directv. I' ve been a subscriber since the Directv/USSB days and I'll be bailing shortly myself. The HD offering is poor, the only channels they have added are either shopping, religous, gay or the Al Bore channel. The picture quality has dropped and all you get from customer service is lip service. Run don't walk to your cable co. or Dish network. Good luck.

How can you say the picture quality has dropped? The broadcast tech has not changed since they began. The only change is the current move to mpeg4 for hd.

#14 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,992 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:14 AM

How can you say the picture quality has dropped? The broadcast tech has not changed since they began. The only change is the current move to mpeg4 for hd.

When they first started they has less channels per transponder so they had a less compression. As they've added locals and more national channels they increased the compression to fit more channels on a transponder, lowering picture quality.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#15 OFFLINE   EIngalls

EIngalls

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:36 PM

Here is my experience with Directv.
Decided to go with the Qwest bundle. Went through the ordering process with the CSR; 2 TV's, 1 - HD DVR, 1 - Regular reciever,,, X bundle price. I asked about HD pricing and the Sports pkg pricing and was told I'd need to work with Directv on that. I asked how they could quote me a bundle price then and was told the bundle price was for base service, additional charges would apply for extra service,,, ok,, I can understand that. $200.00 for the HD DVR and was told I would be eligible for the $200.00 rebate. Seemed pretty good. 8 days before the installer could be out to the house.
Installer shows up with a regular reciever and an HD reciever, no HD DVR. I explain to him that is not what I ordered. He says, "I'm just an installer and this is my work order, you'll need to take it up with sales. Once I activate the box, you own it and won't be able to get it changed." So, I get on the phone with Qwest 'cause that's who I purchased from right? Wrong,,, Qwest tells me I have to deal with Directv for they are the provider. I escalate to the CSR's mgr and get the same story. I ask them why I even bothered to place the order through them then since they can't help me with service and couldn't really give me a true price. So I call Directv and explain the situation. The CSR tells me it's not there fault because I ordered through Qwest. The $200 I paid is for an HD receiver, if I wanted an HD DVR it would be another $100, he would cancel this WO and reschedule my installation. (I took the day off of work because of the "between 10am and 4pm window) I ask to speak to a supervisor or mgr and he tells me "you can talk to whoever you want your going to get the same story, either buy the service or don't." I again ask to speak to a supervisor, he agrees and puts me on hold. About 7 minutes goes by, then click & dial tone. So, I call back in. Speak to another CSR who is nicer but feeds me the same line. Qwest screwed up the order, I paid $200 for an HD reciever. He feeds me a line about giving me all the HBO's and HD service for 3 months free for compensation. I say, aren't I supposed to get that anyway as a new customer? Oh yeah he says.
So, I go ahead with the install. I try not to get on the installer to much. He continues to reply that he's just an installer and has nothing to do with anything else. He's a sub-contracter etc,, etc,, etc,,.
Boxes installed, call to activate, select my programming. He can quote thier pricing but doens't know if/how it will be discounted if at all through Qwest. PQ looks pretty good.
14 days later, my H20 box poops out. The resolution lights flash in progression, green, yellow, red, over and over. Start up screen locks, then the box reboots. Same process over and over. I reset, unplug etc with no avail. I'm not using an OTA. So another call to Directv, talke to 3 dept's, 35 minutes later they say they will ship out a replacement in 2 - 5 days. I ask about compensation and am told I will not pay any programming fees for the time I don't have the box. 3 days later I get home and the replacement in on my front step, except it's an R10.
Another call and this takes forever due to thier systems being down so they can't see my file history. Finally the CSR says he sent an email to his supervisior to place the order to replace the replacement. He can't give me a confirmation number though cause the system is down. He gives me a direct phone number to the dept and tells me it might be good if I call back tomorrow to make sure the order was placed. Why did I just spend 45 minutes with you then?? No reply.
I call the first thing next morning and guess what, no record of me calling last night so I have to go through the whole story again (Wednesday morning). I ask for compensation and am told I already recieve the premiums for free for 3 months plus HD and am getting credited the days I'm without the H20. There is nothing else they can do. I'm expecting the replacement to be delivered today, but I'm thinking it's not going to be there.
At this point I'm ready to box all this crap up and send it back. I'm frustrated enough that I'll eat the money I've paid out just to get rid of the headache. I was previously a cable subscriber for 12 yrs. They just rolled out DVR and On-Demand in our area and only provide locals HD but,,,,,,,,,, never had a problem with viewing or service, and I can go right to the local office and talk to people in person if need be.

Just my 20 cents worth.

Earl
Longmont, CO

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,118 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:13 PM

Here is my experience with Directv.
Decided to go with the Qwest bundle. Went through the ordering process with the CSR; 2 TV's, 1 - HD DVR, 1 - Regular reciever,,, X bundle price. I asked about HD pricing and the Sports pkg pricing and was told I'd need to work with Directv on that. I asked how they could quote me a bundle price then and was told the bundle price was for base service, additional charges would apply for extra service,,, ok,, I can understand that. $200.00 for the HD DVR and was told I would be eligible for the $200.00 rebate. Seemed pretty good. 8 days before the installer could be out to the house.
Installer shows up with a regular reciever and an HD reciever, no HD DVR. I explain to him that is not what I ordered. He says, "I'm just an installer and this is my work order, you'll need to take it up with sales. Once I activate the box, you own it and won't be able to get it changed." So, I get on the phone with Qwest 'cause that's who I purchased from right? Wrong,,, Qwest tells me I have to deal with Directv for they are the provider. I escalate to the CSR's mgr and get the same story. I ask them why I even bothered to place the order through them then since they can't help me with service and couldn't really give me a true price. So I call Directv and explain the situation. The CSR tells me it's not there fault because I ordered through Qwest. The $200 I paid is for an HD receiver, if I wanted an HD DVR it would be another $100, he would cancel this WO and reschedule my installation. (I took the day off of work because of the "between 10am and 4pm window) I ask to speak to a supervisor or mgr and he tells me "you can talk to whoever you want your going to get the same story, either buy the service or don't." I again ask to speak to a supervisor, he agrees and puts me on hold. About 7 minutes goes by, then click & dial tone. So, I call back in. Speak to another CSR who is nicer but feeds me the same line. Qwest screwed up the order, I paid $200 for an HD reciever. He feeds me a line about giving me all the HBO's and HD service for 3 months free for compensation. I say, aren't I supposed to get that anyway as a new customer? Oh yeah he says.
So, I go ahead with the install. I try not to get on the installer to much. He continues to reply that he's just an installer and has nothing to do with anything else. He's a sub-contracter etc,, etc,, etc,,.
Boxes installed, call to activate, select my programming. He can quote thier pricing but doens't know if/how it will be discounted if at all through Qwest. PQ looks pretty good.
14 days later, my H20 box poops out. The resolution lights flash in progression, green, yellow, red, over and over. Start up screen locks, then the box reboots. Same process over and over. I reset, unplug etc with no avail. I'm not using an OTA. So another call to Directv, talke to 3 dept's, 35 minutes later they say they will ship out a replacement in 2 - 5 days. I ask about compensation and am told I will not pay any programming fees for the time I don't have the box. 3 days later I get home and the replacement in on my front step, except it's an R10.
Another call and this takes forever due to thier systems being down so they can't see my file history. Finally the CSR says he sent an email to his supervisior to place the order to replace the replacement. He can't give me a confirmation number though cause the system is down. He gives me a direct phone number to the dept and tells me it might be good if I call back tomorrow to make sure the order was placed. Why did I just spend 45 minutes with you then?? No reply.
I call the first thing next morning and guess what, no record of me calling last night so I have to go through the whole story again (Wednesday morning). I ask for compensation and am told I already recieve the premiums for free for 3 months plus HD and am getting credited the days I'm without the H20. There is nothing else they can do. I'm expecting the replacement to be delivered today, but I'm thinking it's not going to be there.
At this point I'm ready to box all this crap up and send it back. I'm frustrated enough that I'll eat the money I've paid out just to get rid of the headache. I was previously a cable subscriber for 12 yrs. They just rolled out DVR and On-Demand in our area and only provide locals HD but,,,,,,,,,, never had a problem with viewing or service, and I can go right to the local office and talk to people in person if need be.

Just my 20 cents worth.

Earl
Longmont, CO

Use a coathanger. I had Direcvgarbage & they screwed Me. i threw my HD set out on the street. HD is a SCAM!!!!!!!!!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#17 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:38 PM

Wow so I just spent over $2K on an HD set and it's a scam? :)

Didn't you also say once satellite radio was a scam?

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, I love HD, but just got my first HDTV, but DirecTVs channel selection is really poor, plus I'm not too thrilled about 'HD Lite'. I'm getting cable installed Wednesday, I've wanted cable for a while now, but this is a perfect excuse. TW here has 14 channels in HD, we don't have Universal HD or ESPN 2 HD, but it looks like some TW systems across the country are just getting UHD, I'd rather have ESPN 2 HD, but I'll take whatever. The bulk of my regular viewing is network programming, I watch/record 14 network shows a week. Working nights I don't watching anything live. Cable only makes logical sence (and cents) for me.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...