Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New D* Customer Here...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:15 AM

Just called yesterday and ordered the system, free DVR with a second receiver and TC Premier for $48.99 a month for the first 3 months...

My question is, which DVR will I be getting? I've seen debates here over the two different versions currently available, and was wondering if anyone knows which one goes out with the free DVR offer...

Also, is it possible to connect the DVR to an ethernet network rather than use a phone line to order PPV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fancydancy

fancydancy

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:35 AM

There's no way to know what DVR you'll be getting from the installer -- at this point the R15 is probably likely, but it really can depend on what the installer's previous inventory was like, etc.

No DTV DVR can connect via ethernet for PPV, it has to be a phone line.

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:31 AM

Also, is it possible to connect the DVR to an ethernet network rather than use a phone line to order PPV?

I have not done it this way myself (my receivers are connected by phone lines and I order PPV via remote), but my understanding is that you can order PPVs on-line through the DirecTV.com web site if you are not connected by a phone line. You log into your account (must be registered) and there is a link through which you can order PPV movies or events. There is no additional "assistance" fee for ordering on the web. All done through your regular web browser.

#4 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the help, guys! I just hope that DTV picks up the new Mets network (SportsNet NY) when it launches in March. I'm a huge Mets fan and that's the main reason I switched (even though there isn't a carriage agreement yet, I'm out of the NYC metro area and there's no way I'd be getting it through cable)...

#5 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:03 PM

A little warning there matty. If DTV does pick up SportsNet NY I'm sure that will be considered a Regional Sports Network. You will have to pay extra $$$ to get your local RSN (I think) and even more if you want RSNs out of your area. Plus, with any pro sports team that DTV already has a package for (in this case MLB Extra Innings) games on RSNs will not be available (blacked out) to customers out of the RSN broadcast area.

Kinda complicated. But if you are not in the SportsNet NY region the only way you will see the Mets games is to purchase Extra Innings.

I live in Phoenix and have all the RSNs including Fox Sports Detroit. But any Red Wings games are blacked out for me since I'm out of that area. They expect me to purchase Center Ice to view those games.

Just want to make sure you're clear on this so you don't get your hopes dashed down the road.

#6 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:08 PM

Yep, I already knew that - but even though I'm in PA, I am in the "home area" for the Mets, so I don't need to worry about the games being blacked out as far as I can see...

#7 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:35 AM

There's no way to know what DVR you'll be getting from the installer -- at this point the R15 is probably likely, but it really can depend on what the installer's previous inventory was like, etc.

No DTV DVR can connect via ethernet for PPV, it has to be a phone line.

Is there any way I can call and request an R10? Based on all the problems I've seen with the R15, I'm a little worried...

#8 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:49 AM

Nope. You can call and request one but you'll get whatever the installer has on the truck. Some folks want the R10 some want the R15, they end up getting what they get. Only way to get around that is to go with a retailer that has a R10.

#9 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:16 PM

Nope. You can call and request one but you'll get whatever the installer has on the truck. Some folks want the R10 some want the R15, they end up getting what they get. Only way to get around that is to go with a retailer that has a R10.

In that case, does the rebate only apply to the first DVR or could I go to Walmart, get an R10, and still get another rebate (thus getting another DVR for free)?

#10 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

In that case, does the rebate only apply to the first DVR or could I go to Walmart, get an R10, and still get another rebate (thus getting another DVR for free)?

1 REBATE per customer per year......:)

#11 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

OK then, here's yet ANOTHER question - if I get an R15, can I return it to DTV and go to my local Walmart which still has some of the R10s left and still get the rebate?

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:10 AM

OK then, here's yet ANOTHER question - if I get an R15, can I return it to DTV and go to my local Walmart which still has some of the R10s left and still get the rebate?

I'm just speculating, but...

You might have a problem doing that, because if you order the system from D* initially they are giving you the dvr which "uses up" the rebate. If you return it and subsequently buy an R10 elsewhere and try to submit the rebate, their system might not recognize the return. You would probably have to end up battling your way through a couple of levels of CSR's to accomplish that, if you succeed at all.

I have two R15's and one R10. I personally prefer the R15 to the R10. There are some problems with it, which will be corrected, but at least for me it is recording what I tell it to, when I tell it to, and overall works just fine.

Keep in mind that you will typically see only reports from people who are having problems, and you normally won't see people who are doing just fine log onto a forum like this just to say "Hey, it works great for me."

Good luck whatever way you choose to go.

Carl

spam firewall