Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New to OTA HD - Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WhoDey

WhoDey

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

I am in Dayton, OH. I pick up channels 2 (NBC) and 7 (CBS) no problem in HD. I can't seem to get FOX or ABC, and they are almost in the exact same physical location in Dayton.

I have a CM 4228 antenna.

Do I have a hook-up issue?

We are by an airport, but still less then 15 miles from the tower.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Proc

Proc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:04 PM

I am in Dayton, OH. I pick up channels 2 (NBC) and 7 (CBS) no problem in HD. I can't seem to get FOX or ABC, and they are almost in the exact same physical location in Dayton.

I have a CM 4228 antenna.

Do I have a hook-up issue?

We are by an airport, but still less then 15 miles from the tower.

Thanks

Which receiver are you hooking the antenna up to? I used to have problems with OTA with the H10 (and I am about the same distance from the towers too, but north of you in Detroit), but not with the H20, which is very good for OTA.

#3 OFFLINE   WhoDey

WhoDey

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

Which receiver are you hooking the antenna up to? I used to have problems with OTA with the H10 (and I am about the same distance from the towers too, but north of you in Detroit), but not with the H20, which is very good for OTA.

Yes, I have the H10...
The cable is going into a diplex???? with the other feed coming off the satelite. I have one cable not going anywhere from the satelite

#4 OFFLINE   Proc

Proc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:11 AM

Yes, I have the H10...
The cable is going into a diplex???? with the other feed coming off the satelite. I have one cable not going anywhere from the satelite

When I had the H10, the installer originally had the antenna diplexed before the coax went into the house. Once I removed the diplexers and ran the antenna directly into the H10 (I ran it inside the house into a grounding strip, then to the TV), then the OTA signals were fine.

Get rid of the diplexer and you will see a marked difference.

I will still say though, the H20 is a far superior OTA receiver than the H10.

#5 OFFLINE   mssturgeon

mssturgeon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:45 AM

Does your set have a built-in digital tuner? If so you may want to temporarily bypass your H10 and go direct to your TV just to see if the H10 is, in fact, the issue.

- Shane (fellow Daytonian and Bengal fan)
Publisher, HDTV Magazine
Your Guide to High Definition Television

#6 OFFLINE   WhoDey

WhoDey

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:28 AM

Thanks, I will try going direct. It's weird that I can pick up numerous channels inside with simple rabbit ears, yet nothing with this outside large antenna.

#7 OFFLINE   TVSaurus

TVSaurus

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:53 AM

I am using a 4228 and H10 also and have found the H10 has a weaker signal than if I were to bypass the H10 directly to my TV. Sometimes I can watch a direct signal and receive nothing via the H10. So I also recommend bypassing the D* receiver and checking it that way also.

spam firewall