Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

UPN, WB to combine to form new network

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

UPN, WB to combine to form new network

http://www.businessw...me_down&chan=db
Bill R

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,159 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:31 PM

Interesting, I wonder what they'll do in markets that have both networks. Which channel gets to broadcast the new network?

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   Wayne

Wayne

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:51 PM

From Yahoo! Finance:

"The combination of Tribune's 16 major market stations and the 12 CBS-owned UPN major market affiliates give The CW instant coverage in 48% of the country. The remainder of the network's distribution system will be a combination of selected current UPN and The WB stations. The full distribution of the new network is expected to exceed 95% of the country."

http://biz.yahoo.com...u143.html?.v=43

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:54 PM

I wonder if we will lose our ATSC UPN sub-channel in favor of the LP NTSC station.
That would be my guess. (South Bend IN Market)

#5 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:58 PM

Interesting, I wonder what they'll do in markets that have both networks. Which channel gets to broadcast the new network?

here is what we know so far from the press release

The 16 Tribune affiliated stations will include New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Washington, D.C., Houston, Miami, Denver, St. Louis, Portland, Indianapolis, San Diego, Hartford, New Orleans and Albany. The 12 CBS Station Group television markets will include Philadelphia, San Francisco, Atlanta, Detroit, Tampa, Seattle, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, West Palm Beach, Norfolk, Oklahoma City and Providence. Together, these top two station groups cover the top 13 television markets, 20 of the top 25 television markets and have a total coverage area of more than 48% of the country.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#6 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,585 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:00 PM

Hmmm... In my neck of the woods, the UPN affiliate has been around for many years longer than the WB affiliate. Way back in the day, our UPN was the NBC affiliate.

However, both WB and UPN in my area are owned by Sinclair Broadcasting... and it is the WB station that carries their national news and has been upgraded to HD. My UPN is digital, but has not been HD.

So if I'm guessing, for my area, the UPN station would get somehow merged into the WB and the WB station would be the one to survive... unless Sinclair decided to sell the UPN station and it became an independent station... I would guess that it will just fade away.

Interesting news.

#7 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:01 PM

In our market (Cincinnati) WB is on a full power station and UPN is on a low power station (a station that DISH Network doesn't carry and Time Warner only carries part time). There is no question in this market that the new network will be on the full power station (WSTR, ch. 64). I suspect that the LP station (WBQC, ch. 38) will become an independent. At one time they were the WB affiliate (they even changed their call letters to reflect that) but became UPN when WB moved to the other station because the other station was carried full time by the local cable companies.
Bill R

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

The affilliate issues will iron themselves out over the next few months. In markets where one affiliate owns both it's an easy solution ... they just have to figure out what to do with the extra channel (they will find something). In other markets there may be an affiliate with a longer contract or better signal. Today is day one ... plenty of time for this to shake out.

#9 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:59 PM

Maybe the stations losing WB or UPN affiliation can strike a deal to carry Lifetime programming!!!!!!!!

#10 OFFLINE   Wayne

Wayne

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:57 PM

I feel sorry for Tony when he has to update the Dish Channel Chart this fall to reflect stations going from UPN or The WB to The CW or to Independent status. Also some stations may also change call letters.

#11 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:32 PM

Maybe the stations losing WB or UPN affiliation can strike a deal to carry Lifetime programming!!!!!!!!

Or they could strike deals with ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX. Some of them could become independents, and others could go on public assistance (PBS).
Gun control is racist.

#12 OFFLINE   DTC mac

DTC mac

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:46 PM

Sadly between the two entities they do not have even half a network's worth of shows any intelligent person would admit to watching.

#13 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:19 PM

Or they could strike deals with ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX. Some of them could become independents, and others could go on public assistance (PBS).

Or a smaller network like Urban America TV or America One could use this opportunity to expand to bigger areas.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

It will certainly give "the CW" the SAME STATUS as ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX when it comes to being offered as distant networks (and requiring waivers from the local CW station to get a distant CW station).

E* was warming up WB "national" channels for east and west. (IIRC D* already has them?) These could easily become the new CW network channels.

And if the 5th network is good enough we'll see it in HD via E* along with the other four they plan on carrying in each market.

#15 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,273 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:52 PM

This is a classic study of two programming failures being combined to create one larger programming failure -- two sinking life rafts lashed together, as it were.

CW = Can't Work

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#16 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

Right now, the classic way to see how Fox will operate their UPN stations (WWOR NY, KCOP LA, WPWR Chicago, WDCA Washington) is to look no further than the Dallas station KDFI. Fox has owned this independent station for a few years now, and it is still thriving.

#17 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,585 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:22 PM

I only watch one WB show... and no UPN shows... I don't think I ever watched more than 1 or 2 per network and that was when there were shows that had spinoffs also on (like Buffy/Angel and the Star Treks of recent years)... so my viewing patterns don't change with the merger.

However, it is at least possible that the two combined have a better chance at being a solid 5th network OTA, vs being fledgling 5th and 6th separately.

One thing that really propelled FOX was back when they bid for the NFC football games many years ago, and next year they are going to have the BCS college football championship game... so the new "CW" station could learn perhaps from that and get themselves in the bidding wars for some of the popular passtimes when they come up for bids.

To be fair and not slam WB/UPN too much... I really don't watch anything on NBC. FOX I watch only a couple of shows, can't think of anything besides sports that I watch on ABC... and CBS is for sports and a couple of shows... so to be fair, they don't have to come too far to get about the same percentage of my viewing time as the biggies do.

#18 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:27 PM

Buffy and Enterprise were the only UPN shows I watched. When they killed Star Trek, I swore them off. I haven't seen a UPN show since.

The WB has a few good shows, Smallville, Charmed, and even Beauty and the Geek 2 is watchable.... The rest of the teen angst shows I can do without......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#19 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,273 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:40 PM

CW = See Dubya?

:D

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

Carrier Wave ... The most exciting thing they can put on the air.

I wonder if Leno will crack the joke ... "Now NBC can be the FIFTH place network".

Protected By... spam firewall...And...