Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What if my locals look great on OTA?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Marino13

Marino13

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:48 PM

I have an OTA in the attic that works excellent. I get a great HD signal on all of my local channels. Do I need the new dish if I want to go HD through Directv or can I use my current 3 LNB dish? I have read that the new mpeg4 channels are only HD locals. They have not been released in my area yet (St. Louis) but I figure the quality can't be any better than my OTA. Am I right? Are all of the HD channels that Directv offers right now on mpeg2 besides the locals? Are they going to put other HD channels besides the locals on the new mpeg4 satellites? Thank you in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:33 PM

I have an OTA in the attic that works excellent. I get a great HD signal on all of my local channels. Do I need the new dish if I want to go HD through Directv or can I use my current 3 LNB dish? I have read that the new mpeg4 channels are only HD locals. They have not been released in my area yet (St. Louis) but I figure the quality can't be any better than my OTA. Am I right? Are all of the HD channels that Directv offers right now on mpeg2 besides the locals? Are they going to put other HD channels besides the locals on the new mpeg4 satellites? Thank you in advance.

The OTA signal is as good as you will get. The reason to consider additional DBS hardware for satellite reception of the HD locals is DVR capability. At some point, they'll want to sell you PPV movies and the MPEG4 DVR will be needed for that.

#3 OFFLINE   Marino13

Marino13

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

The OTA signal is as good as you will get. The reason to consider additional DBS hardware for satellite reception of the HD locals is DVR capability. At some point, they'll want to sell you PPV movies and the MPEG4 DVR will be needed for that.

But the current and future dvr are both able to record OTA HD locals, right? What about 5.1 surround sound? If I record a HD local that has surround will it actually record the surround or downmix it to stereo?

#4 OFFLINE   f300v10

f300v10

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:15 PM

The current HR10-250 records 5.1 from OTA, and I can only assume the HR20 will as well.

Directv is eventually moving all HD content to the new KA/MPEG4 sats, and reception from those sats requires the new 5LNB dish. That switch will not take place until some time in 2007. All current national HD will work with your current 3LNB dish. So I don't see why you would upgrade until national HD is on the KA sats.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...