Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FF and Rewind Feature = horrible

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   netPOSER

netPOSER

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:09 AM

What's the deal with this?

On TiVo you have the 'snap back' feature and on my old Dish DVR I had 30-second skip.

This R15 is the worst. After 3 weeks with this unit I'm still unable to FF or Rewind to where I want to be.

I've noticed a tip about hitting the pause button but even that is a pain.
If anyone has any tips please post here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:29 AM

You can try using the jump back button instead of play, or pause (but sometimes it jumps to the end even thought your hitting jump back). Also don't FF or Rewind over x2 or theres no telling where it will stop.

#3 OFFLINE   netPOSER

netPOSER

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:06 AM

You can try using the jump back button instead of play, or pause (but sometimes it jumps to the end even thought your hitting jump back). Also don't FF or Rewind over x2 or theres no telling where it will stop.

Yeah, it's all messed up. I'm assuming they will fix this in a future update?

#4 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:19 AM

Yeah, it's all messed up. I'm assuming they will fix this in a future update?

That's the hope, I know they have lots to fix. Not sure if they'll fix everything in this update thought. But they are working on it.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:34 AM

Just remember that the snap back feature as it is on a Tivo based box will never be implemented because its patented by Tivo, noone else can use it without paying Tivo's going rate for the royalties....

#6 OFFLINE   donnaml98

donnaml98

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

I use the replay button. Sometimes after using the replay button, I notice I may not have pushed in time, so I just hit the button maybe once or twice more. Works great.
Donna
Got fish? Visit www.nlpublish.com

#7 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:04 PM

Like someone above said anything faster than 2x FF and it can lead to problems. I rarely have any problems with 2xFF and the replay button to stop. I only use the 3-4xFF when I dont care where it stops and just want to FF.

#8 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:11 PM

Just remember that the snap back feature as it is on a Tivo based box will never be implemented because its patented by Tivo, noone else can use it without paying Tivo's going rate for the royalties....

I'm pretty sure my UTV did this. I'd hit play it would go back a little bit before where i hit play. Never had problem like i do with the R15.

#9 OFFLINE   DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:59 PM

I'm pretty sure my UTV did this. I'd hit play it would go back a little bit before where i hit play. Never had problem like i do with the R15.

It most certainly did. As does every DVD player I own. All this "TiVo owns the patent to the world, no one can breathe in it without paying them licensing fees" is such BS. Sure, TiVo has some huge, broad patents, but they have stopped no one to date.

Ricky

#10 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:26 PM

It most certainly did. As does every DVD player I own. All this "TiVo owns the patent to the world, no one can breathe in it without paying them licensing fees" is such BS. Sure, TiVo has some huge, broad patents, but they have stopped no one to date.

Ricky

That's what i thought. I've just hear people claim this before too and wasn't sure what there talking about. The only issue I ever had with the UTV was FF and Rewind getting stuck. I loved that it did the autocorrect, I very rarely had to use the skip back button.

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:16 PM

Ricky

But... what it boils down to is this:

1) They have the patten (and for this one, AutoCorrection), and that patten covers about 6 different ways to account for it.

2) Other people need to investigate if they can figure out another way, and if not...

3) Have their lawyers basically give them a risk assesment on the probability of TiVo winning a case, if TiVo decides to go that route..

It is not as simple as... Well TiVo has never sued anyone yet and one... So we are good to go to violate their Pattens....

This particular one, IMHO, is borderline as too "whom" first created auto-correction. Things like WishList and Suggestions, a little more TiVo specific.

Any ideas on what could happen by going ahead and using a patent technology... just take a quick look at what is happening to Blackberry right now...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:25 PM

I'm fully aware of all the legal implications and sticky ways of dealing with sticky subjects. But the FACT is that there are several different products with auto-correct. And there will be many more. TiVo lovers love to point to EVERY feature and say no one has ever had it, and no one ever will, because TiVo has a patent on it. It's BS.

Ricky

#13 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:25 PM

You (Earl) say this as though their only choices were to do without the feature or to implement it and hope for the best. I'm sure TiVo would entertain a reasonable royalty offer.

Hell, since they're so confident people don't want the feature (see also: Pontual, Romulo), maybe they could have made it an option and only paid TiVo for the customers who enable it. That would be pretty much nobody, right, Romulo? ;)

#14 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

But... what it boils down to is this:

1) They have the patten (and for this one, AutoCorrection), and that patten covers about 6 different ways to account for it.

2) Other people need to investigate if they can figure out another way, and if not...

3) Have their lawyers basically give them a risk assesment on the probability of TiVo winning a case, if TiVo decides to go that route..

It is not as simple as... Well TiVo has never sued anyone yet and one... So we are good to go to violate their Pattens....

This particular one, IMHO, is borderline as too "whom" first created auto-correction. Things like WishList and Suggestions, a little more TiVo specific.

Any ideas on what could happen by going ahead and using a patent technology... just take a quick look at what is happening to Blackberry right now...

Earl, I'm confused how did UTV get around this?

#15 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:17 PM

Earl, I'm confused how did UTV get around this?

They probably didn't... they are probably using one of the methods TiVo has a "patent" on... and TiVo just hasn't decided to go after a product that is now defunct.

Either way, it isn't there on the R15... I agree that I would like it to be there (I am not debating that one).

And yes, I saw the USA Today article where that quote was from...
Not sure if it was taken out of context or what, but needless to say the feature isn't there... and it is a desired one.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:20 PM

You (Earl) say this as though their only choices were to do without the feature or to implement it and hope for the best. I'm sure TiVo would entertain a reasonable royalty offer.

Hell, since they're so confident people don't want the feature (see also: Pontual, Romulo), maybe they could have made it an option and only paid TiVo for the customers who enable it. That would be pretty much nobody, right, Romulo? ;)

I concure that TiVo "could" ofter a royalty offer... But until I get a seat at the table for those negotiations... maybe they "didn't" offer one, or offered one that was so crazy high.

Or maybe DirecTV simply underestimated the importance of that feature.

I am not trying to defend DirecTVs decision to not have it... not my job.
I am just trying to throw out a "plausable" reason on why it isn't there...

Same reason why "Suggestions" aren't there....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#17 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

I'm fully aware of all the legal implications and sticky ways of dealing with sticky subjects. But the FACT is that there are several different products with auto-correct. And there will be many more. TiVo lovers love to point to EVERY feature and say no one has ever had it, and no one ever will, because TiVo has a patent on it. It's BS.

Ricky

I agree that there are dozens if not hundreds of products that have auto-correct features... It just get's narrowed down to when you are talking about DVRs...

Hence why you read some of TiVo's patents you have to laugh. Like TiVo was the first to have a status bar on the bottom of the screen. Or Pause ability. We all know that is not true.

Nor could they patten something like "Schedule a Recording"... that is too "broad".

Take a look at the patten for the auto correct. Now... I have exhausted my brain into it, but.. while reading it... I kept saying... Well why not this way... nope, it was in the paten... well why not this way... nope, it was in there.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#18 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

I doubt there will be any changes to FF or the addition of a 30 sec skip in DTV's plans. Keep in mind that DTV's future plans are to "enhance the Live TV experience". Why would they need to adjust the FF function or add a 30 second skip function to their DVRs? :D

#19 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:00 PM

I for one dont care about the auto correcting feature and in fact dont like it on my DirecTiVo. I always stop where I want and it backs up making me have to FF all over again, no thanks. With the R-15, I stop it where I want and FF or RW myself if I dont like where its at.

We are all frustrated with the R-15 for one reason or another but the R-15 has certain features and functions a certain way. If you dont like what it offers then return it, sell it on Ebay, stop using it OR use it as it is and accept it works a certain way and has the features it has.

#20 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

I for one dont care about the auto correcting feature and in fact dont like it on my DirecTiVo. I always stop where I want and it backs up making me have to FF all over again, no thanks. With the R-15, I stop it where I want and FF or RW myself if I dont like where its at.

We are all frustrated with the R-15 for one reason or another but the R-15 has certain features and functions a certain way. If you dont like what it offers then return it, sell it on Ebay, stop using it OR use it as it is and accept it works a certain way and has the features it has.

Or...wait for the updates from DTV that will fix many of these problems. Just another option, right Bobman?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...