Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help needed with HR10-250

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   magyar01

magyar01

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:12 AM

I just installed a HR10-250. I want to use the dual tuner function but I only have 1 satellite feed on that side of the house. I have tried a RF splitter, that didn't work. I called DirecTv and they told me to get a digital splitter from Best Buy. I tried that but it passed no signals thru to the 250, at least I got some signal with the cheapie splitter. Running a second feed from my 4X8 switch in the basement in not an option on this side of the house(Slab floor, Cathedral ceiling, etc.) I would appreciate any help

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,169 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:31 AM

If all your dish lines are already going to a multiswitch, then you don't have any other option. You are going to have to run another line from the multiswitch.
-
Or, you could install a second dish and run two lines to your dvr from that.
-
Carl

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:13 AM

Or you can install a Multiswitch outside (obviously one rated to be exposed to the weather) so that you can have 8 feeds OUTSIDE (4 from the switch to your existing switch), and then the other to your area with the HR10-250.

Stacking technology (at least the relative cheap ones... $300 for the set) are only for the 101 sat, thus that would block out MOST of the DirecTV HD content.

See... www.tivocommunity.com for a forum dedicated to the HR10-250 (well pretty much dedicateD)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   aandjw

aandjw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

You can stack the signal after the multiswitch and destack at the receiver to use only one cable and both tuners on the HR10-250. This will give you regular D* programming but no HD (and maybe no locals depending on where you live).....it only works on the 101 satellite signal. I convinced D* that I couldn't run a 2nd cable to this type of location on my house and they installed (for free) a 2nd AT9 dish on the other side of my house so I could have 2 cables run to the HR10-250 (and soon to the HR20 - HA!).

#5 OFFLINE   jdknocks

jdknocks

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:34 PM

I just installed a HR10-250. I want to use the dual tuner function but I only have 1 satellite feed on that side of the house. I have tried a RF splitter, that didn't work. I called DirecTv and they told me to get a digital splitter from Best Buy. I tried that but it passed no signals thru to the 250, at least I got some signal with the cheapie splitter. Running a second feed from my 4X8 switch in the basement in not an option on this side of the house(Slab floor, Cathedral ceiling, etc.) I would appreciate any help

Thanks

If you have two sat feeds going to your switch you can use a diplexer. A diplexer will carry to feeds through one line, then use another diplexer at the DVR end to split into two. It works, I am doing it. It must be a diplexer not a splitter.

#6 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

A diplexer will only work with a sat line and an OTA antenna or cableTV line. It cannot be used with 2 sat lines.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...