Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any reviews/beta testers for 622?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

Be nice to actually read some reviews (from actual installed units, not just show displays) before many of us order the item come Feb 1st.

I know Dish has a history of releasing products that only become really functional a year or so out and first responders are the true "beta" testers. But usually (like with the 942) we at least got to see some "alpha" testers such as Mark giving reviews before the general public got their devices. Is that not going to be the case this time?
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:28 PM

I do know this, this unit has gone through a vigorous testing program. I have a feeling the 622 will be a very stable and enjoyable unit.

#3 OFFLINE   spykedvodka

spykedvodka

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:15 PM

942 rocks. so hopefully this unit will be good too

#4 OFFLINE   tegage

tegage

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:13 AM

It seems to me that the 622 is pretty much a 942 with mpeg 4. If that assumption is true, I don't see why it won't be a stable unit.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:26 AM

If anyone from you have been in developing embedded software, then you'll tell us using much minor tone. New chip was always a challenge.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:50 AM

The units are different enough that it isn't a trivial change.
It looks like they started with a 942 and said let's make an MPEG4 box that can do that and more.

It's like Microsoft looking at Macintosh and saying "we can do a GUI" or having an artist paint a portrait of a portrait. Development starts near scratch with just a good idea. (Although they do have a sound unit and software to look at and no further royalty problems that looking at someone else's work would bring).

#7 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:52 PM

Actually James I dont' think that analogy is too accurate with the 942. P. Smith is correct that it is not a trivial as one would think. Changing out a hardware component on a system is not a trivial task. It is easier if it is pin by pin compatible, but even then there are timing issues and other gotchas that pop us.

Yes the 622 is based of the 942 code base and it is very easy to look at UIs that look the same and come to the conclusion that not a lot of work was needed. Great example of this is the new Mac on the intel. I am sure there was a ton of work just to get the Mac UI running on the Intel platform. I would consider this a better analogy although the 942 to 622 transition in my guess is in a smaller scale. The microsoft analogy is more of taking idea and starting from scratch.

So what does this mean in terms of stability. You have an excellent foundation to work from (the 942). You have built up experience 721, 522, 921, 942 and now the 622. Lot of lessons learned. Time will tell how good the 622 does and hopefully we will see soon what people think of it.

Danny... I understand the need for information and experience on the 622. Hopefully information will start to flow in.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#8 OFFLINE   spaceopera

spaceopera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:15 AM

omg the people that think the 942 is a good piece of hardware are really drinking the cool aid. The fact of the matter is if the 942 was released to the mass market like a vcr the company would be out of business. The only and I mean the only reason it is not is because there is no competition. If you want a tri-tuner with the ability to record a very modest amount of hd programming then that is want you will get. The ui is awful and there are software bugs and hardware bugs like the one where my hdmi goes black every 45-90min for 2-3 seconds. The 622 may have fixed these and many other issues I sure hope so but they may not have. But make not mistake about it you are buying a 622 you are buying early adopter hardware and poorly made software and if you want dish hd you have no choice you will have to live with it. Trust me I curse this box almost nightly. But, what are you going to do? P.S. I think it is really sucks that we have to wait till april to get upgrade.

-Gene

#9 OFFLINE   tegage

tegage

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:33 AM

omg the people that think the 942 is a good piece of hardware are really drinking the cool aid. The fact of the matter is if the 942 was released to the mass market like a vcr the company would be out of business. The only and I mean the only reason it is not is because there is no competition. If you want a tri-tuner with the ability to record a very modest amount of hd programming then that is want you will get. The ui is awful and there are software bugs and hardware bugs like the one where my hdmi goes black every 45-90min for 2-3 seconds. The 622 may have fixed these and many other issues I sure hope so but they may not have. But make not mistake about it you are buying a 622 you are buying early adopter hardware and poorly made software and if you want dish hd you have no choice you will have to live with it. Trust me I curse this box almost nightly. But, what are you going to do? P.S. I think it is really sucks that we have to wait till april to get upgrade.

-Gene

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. I love my 942. I find it easy to use and it works flawlessly. It was my favorite purchase of 2005.

#10 OFFLINE   Patriot12

Patriot12

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:19 AM

I would love to have these questions answered by someone who has one of these:

1. Are the HDMI and Component outputs for TV1 both hot (active) at the same time?
2. Does the HDMI output carry digital audio?
3. Will the TV2 Remote be able to change TV1 channels?
4. When it down-converts HD shows to TV2, are they still in a 16:9 format?
5. Does it work with VOIP telephone service?
6. What is the Ethernet connection going to be used for?
7. Can you buy this and subscribe to ala carte programming (i.e. just HD)

#11 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:21 AM

Many of those are excellent questions, Patriot12.

I'd also like to see someone comment on what actually comes in the production version of the box, particularly in terms of cables (DVI-D to HDMI cable, for example, or HDMI to HDMI cable?).

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

I would love to have these questions answered by someone who has one of these:

1. Are the HDMI and Component outputs for TV1 both hot (active) at the same time?
2. Does the HDMI output carry digital audio?
3. Will the TV2 Remote be able to change TV1 channels?
4. When it down-converts HD shows to TV2, are they still in a 16:9 format?
5. Does it work with VOIP telephone service?
6. What is the Ethernet connection going to be used for?
7. Can you buy this and subscribe to ala carte programming (i.e. just HD)

Based on the very similar 211 and comments made:
1) Yes - All outputs always active.
2) Yes - Audio is present
3) Yes - In single mode
4) SD can be letterbox or full screen
5) Yes - If your VOIP is good
6) E* doesn't know yet
7) If you can find someone to sell it to you - There is a $6 fee for not having a basic pack and a $5.99(?) charge for locals (if you want EPG for OTA) that apply. They need an HD only package that bundles it - perhaps for $29.99.

#13 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:36 AM

I was a beta tester for Webtv on the Dish player. Any beta tester who is dumb enough to tell you his or her expereince with the unit is leaving themselfs open to
alot of law suits.. Whenever you agree to Beta Test a unit the company have you sign a confidently agreement.
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:41 AM

That's why I my comments are based on the 211 and the descriptions E* has provided on their website and through press releases. There isn't any answer there that can't be found with a 'search' of DBSTalk.

#15 OFFLINE   spaceopera

spaceopera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:14 PM

tegage,
you can respect my opinion and disagree but the fact of the matter is the box is flaky and the software is poorly designed to not let someone who is thinking about buying a box and investing 1k+ with lease and everything is irresponsible. The person requested information about the 622 and a few people mentioned that they have had no problems with there 942 which is basis for the 622. There are many well documented issues with the 942 just because you have not come across them in the usage of you 942 does not make the issues any less real. If I had know of all the issues before I plunked down my money I probably would have gone the d*tv root I would have know what I getting into being that is a Tivo which is by and far a superior interface.

-Gene

#16 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:39 PM

Ok guys.. This is the support area and as such no bashing is allowed. This area is designed to discuss issues in a positive light. If you want to discuss your opinions on how flaky, how poorly designed the software is or whose interface is suprior please do so in the general forums.

Lets keep it positive here and and any posts that the moderators consider fall into the rock throwing bucket will not be tolertated here and posts containing such rocks will either edited or removed without warning.

I will let you guys clean up your posts if you like, otherwise at the end of the day I will remove the rocks.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:44 PM

Great example of this is the new Mac on the intel. I am sure there was a ton of work just to get the Mac UI running on the Intel platform.

I disagree. In a relatively modular platform like the Unix based Mac, the conversion may just be a matter of firing the UI code up on a new platform. The Unix side provides all of the hardware services and the UI uses them abstractly. The code was more than likely written in a higher level language (as opposed to PowerPC assembly language) making it significantly more portable than Pee Cee software that goes around DirectX.

It is typically a priority with device designers to maintain a substantial level of compatibility with previous generations and since the differences are strictly in the decoding engine, I would imagine that the devices are nearly pin compatible. Aside from some unique features like VoD, I would imagine that the code base is the same as the 942.

#18 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:51 PM

That has not been my experience within the companies I have worked for when hardware changes occurred, but I am sure it depends a lot on the hardware changes themselves.

Since I don't work for Dish or Apple I am not sure how much code differences there are so you might be correct. I was mainly using the Apple example because it was a it is migration to another hardware plateform and personally I doubt it was just the fact of firing up the UI. If it was, kudos to the MAC team.

#19 OFFLINE   Patriot12

Patriot12

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:09 PM

Based on the very similar 211 and comments made:
1) Yes - All outputs always active.
2) Yes - Audio is present
3) Yes - In single mode
4) SD can be letterbox or full screen
5) Yes - If your VOIP is good
6) E* doesn't know yet
7) If you can find someone to sell it to you - There is a $6 fee for not having a basic pack and a $5.99(?) charge for locals (if you want EPG for OTA) that apply. They need an HD only package that bundles it - perhaps for $29.99.

3) If TV2 remote can't change TV1 channels, then why are they even bothering putting both TVs on the modulated output. Not much good if you have to go to the receiver to change TV1 channel.
7) Are ala carte people getting the extra channels when Dish adds them with no price increase? I imagine there will be alot of HD channels coming our way soon. Just trying to do a cost analysis between leasing and buying.

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:19 PM

3) If TV2 remote can't change TV1 channels, then why are they even bothering putting both TVs on the modulated output. Not much good if you have to go to the receiver to change TV1 channel.
7) Are ala carte people getting the extra channels when Dish adds them with no price increase? I imagine there will be alot of HD channels coming our way soon. Just trying to do a cost analysis between leasing and buying.

3) Do you want your kids at TV2 changing your channel at TV1? Having it modulated sounds cool so you can watch "whatever's on on the HD" elsewhere in the house. And if you replace the 5.3 IR remote with the 6.3 UHF remote you should be able to control TV1 wherever TV1's remote is.
7) Current ala carte people will be able to continue to get the channels they are paying for (but nothing more until they upgrade). The pricing I gave was based on new packages.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...