Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any reviews/beta testers for 622?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:25 PM

Moved the MPEG4/MPEG2 discussion out of this thread and into the general area. Please direct your comments with this subject to the following URL.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=52090
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   spaceopera

spaceopera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:44 PM

Ron, I agree I was not trying to do any bashing. But the thread in the case was reviews of the 622. And since people jumped in with their very positive points of view about their 942 I felt that it is important to give a counter balance. When you are asked to commit to such an expensive piece of hardware people should be able to use other peoples experiences as a point of reference. Or why bother asking for reviews on anything?

My opinion is actually fact which is supported by support threads and dish’s own cs. Just call them and ask if the hdmi issue is still open or have they fixed the fragmentation issue etc… I hope the 622 has addressed these and many other issues but we have no way of knowing unless dish tells us.

Positive is find and there are many great things about the 942 and the 622 like the ability to have one box and have two different people watching in two different rooms and the tri turners. But, if you have every used a different system like tivo you will quickly realize just how lacking the software can be. Granted that is an opinion but I will bet my house that if you take any tivo user and give them the dish interface they will go postal. But that is only my opinion.

We should always expect more then what is given to us or else there is never any technical evolution .just look at windows.

-Gene

#23 OFFLINE   tegage

tegage

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:31 AM

Ron,

I agree with Gene. I thought the tone of the emails was "civil enough" and pertinent to the discussion.

Gene - I understand you have had issues with your 942, but if these issues, for whatever reason, don't affect the majority of the 942 owners (an assumption on my part) then, in my opinion, the 942 is a safe purchase for people to make and hopefully (we don't know yet), the 622 will be as well.

People on forums tend to discuss issues they are having with equipment (as they should), but rarely discuss the positive. People should never base a purchasing decision based solely on what they read on a forum (my opinion). You can read horror stories about the best cars, TVs, Receivers, etc. on forums. What people rarely share on forums is their positive experiences so I thought I would share mine.

Also, I have had no HDMI issues, but my unit is fairly new. Maybe this is something that was fixed.

Todd

#24 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:22 AM

Todd and Gene,

Just so I clarify.. Did not have any issues with the discussion going back and forth. The issue I had was with some of Gene's comments about drinking the coolaid, poorly designed software, suprior interface etc. Though valid opinions on a any embedded device or piece of software, the official forums are suppose to be Dish bash free. There are reasons for this and that is why we point to the general areas for these type of discussions. These discussion are allowed in the general forums as long as people remain civil and reasonable.

Hope this clarifies my position and if you have any questions. Feel free to send me a PM.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#25 OFFLINE   Gutter

Gutter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:39 PM

Todd and Gene,

the official forums are suppose to be Dish bash free.
Hope this clarifies my position and if you have any questions. Feel free to send me a PM.

This is a shock!!! Why.. isn't this a place to discuss? I have a 942 and I am very happy with it but those that have issues should be allowed ..."Official" forms or not... to say their peace. If you don't allow critisism, than you shouldn't allow positives either. I am still trying to figure out what makes this an "officialy" sanctioned discussion by DISHNET. I can't find it so stated on their website.:nono2:

Please feel free to move this post to the appropriate discusion form. I can't find one that fits.

#26 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:26 PM

First off .. Gene, I think you might be reading a bit more into what I said. This is a place to discuss issues.

I sent this to a few users that are a bit confused. Figure I might as well post it here.

The reason why negative bashing is not allowed in the support forms if very simple. We want to create a postive environment to discuss issues where Dish engineers can go without having rocks tossed at them.

I am a Software Engineer and I know if I came into forums and had to wade through comments like "Your UI sucks" Where does dish get their engineers.. High School? Dish software is poorly architected etc. I would not come back or would drop wondering over here to a very low priority.

That is why positive comments are allowed. We did not say that negative comments are not allowed but that is where judgement calls are made. If someone is having a problem and echos frustration in a neutral way, that posts will stay. If someone says it while throwing a rock or two, the post will be removed, moved, or edited.

Does that make things more clear? Yes the support areas are to discuss issues and since they are problems they can at times become negative. What you have to do as person feeding information in is try and keep emotions out of the post. Nothing wrong with echoing some frustration but comments about how their software sucks is crossing the line. The general forums is where comments of that nature goes.

The rule of thumb I tell people: If you read it from the perspective of the other side of the fence and if you feel the slight bit offended, you might want to tone it down. Since we all have a different sensibility filter, sometimes this rule of thumb does not work.

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:37 PM

Seems reasonably simple to me...

Don't say: "Your xxx sucks" or "Company YYY is full of ZZZ"

Do say: "I am having the following with my xxx" or "Company YYY could do a better job in communicating with its customers"

:)

If someone comes up to your desk at work and tell you that you are full of crap... how quick do you try and address their problem? Vs the person who politely asks for your time to discuss a problem that you might be able to fix.

spam firewall