Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multiswitch question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rick31621

rick31621

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:38 PM

I have a A9 and a H20 install scheduled for tomorrow. I confirmed with the installer that they were bringing the right equipment. They also stated that they would be bringing a multiswitch. I have a few questions regarding the multiswitch since I didn't plan for it.

1. Can the multiswitch be installed on the outside of the house exposed to the weather?
2. Can the multiswitch be grounded with the dish and eliminate the need for the coax to be connected to a ground bar before entering the house?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bpayne

bpayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

I have a A9 and a H20 install scheduled for tomorrow. I confirmed with the installer that they were bringing the right equipment. They also stated that they would be bringing a multiswitch. I have a few questions regarding the multiswitch since I didn't plan for it.

1. Can the multiswitch be installed on the outside of the house exposed to the weather?
2. Can the multiswitch be grounded with the dish and eliminate the need for the coax to be connected to a ground bar before entering the house?

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

How many total receivers/outlets will you now have after the upgrade?

#3 OFFLINE   rick31621

rick31621

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:50 PM

A DVR (3) in each bedroom and a DVR (R10) and the H20 in the livingroom w/ the upgrade. Currently the DVRs in the B/Rs only have one cable running to them. Total of 5 operating D* receivers.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:40 PM

Each dvr requires two lines, and the H20 needs 1. That adds up to 9. A typical multiswitch has 8 outputs, so hopefully they will either bring you a larger multiswitch, or 2 that can be cascaded to provide enough outputs.
-
Don't let them get away with only running one line to one of the dvr's.
-
Carl

#5 OFFLINE   dewalt

dewalt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:11 AM

Each dvr requires two lines,

I wouldnt necessarily say that. I have a DVR where I'm only using one line. The DVR can be set to use only one input. You just lose the functionality of two lines. I'd say, if you are not going to use both lines, dont mess up the house to get it to work.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:55 AM

Granted, you always have the choice of only running one input.

I just wanted to make sure rick31621 was aware of what the installer should do, providing the customer wanted it, rather than find out later that one of his dvr's wasn't working the way he thought it should.

Carl

#7 OFFLINE   rjc

rjc

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:20 PM

I have a question regarding the installers that are hired by DirecTV to do the installs. I realize that they will bring out the Multiswitches if you need one, but will they also run a 2nd line to those outlets where I have a DVR, even if my DVR was already existing before they came out.

I am getting an install this week for a new H20 HD receiver, but have some current DVR's in my house in which I only have one line running to them. Will they run a 2nd line to those receivers for me? Do they charge extra for it?
Thanks

#8 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:55 PM

Pretty much depends on the installer. Typically they will charge for anything over and above their work order. Some have their "company" price and same have their "cash in the hand" price. I'd figure on it costing something. Maybe consider having some cash on hand.

#9 OFFLINE   RoccoP

RoccoP

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:14 PM

Assuming you need a multiswitch with 8 outputs, should this as a best practice always be located in your house not outside by the dish. This would reduce the number of wires running into your house from the outside and also prevent weather damage.

Opinions are appreciated.

--Rocco--

#10 OFFLINE   bpayne

bpayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

I have a question regarding the installers that are hired by DirecTV to do the installs. I realize that they will bring out the Multiswitches if you need one, but will they also run a 2nd line to those outlets where I have a DVR, even if my DVR was already existing before they came out.

I am getting an install this week for a new H20 HD receiver, but have some current DVR's in my house in which I only have one line running to them. Will they run a 2nd line to those receivers for me? Do they charge extra for it?
Thanks

As a general rule of thumb, if there is a pre-existing DVR and there is only one line running to it, a technician would most likely charge you to run a 2nd line to it.

What Wolffpack said about DTV technicians charging for anything above and beyond the workorder is absolutely correct. This is just as much DirecTV-driven as it is company-driven for whomever the technician works for. You can negotiate something with the technician and maybe you can get 2nd lines ran at a good price (expect $50-$75 per outlet needing to be ran)- but if the technician is running late/has a full clipboard, you might find it hard to any non-standard work performed. :(

#11 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

Assuming you need a multiswitch with 8 outputs, should this as a best practice always be located in your house not outside by the dish. This would reduce the number of wires running into your house from the outside and also prevent weather damage.

Opinions are appreciated.

--Rocco--

I think it really depends on each individual situation. If you are wiring a house, then pick a good central point to wire everything back to, and put the multiswitch there. If you are adding drops to an existing finished structure, then it is going to depend on where you need additional lines run to. It will normally be a whole lot easier to run coax on the outside, and go through the wall at the tv location.

Weather could be a factor, especially if the connections on the coax going to the multiswitch are not done properly, when the multiswitch is mounted outside. If you do mount outside, it is a good idea to try and put the switch in as protected a location as reasonably possible. Sealing the coax entry points is not difficult, whether there are 4 (from the dish to the multiswitch) or more (from the multiswitch to all receivers and tuners).

Carl

spam firewall