Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Delivers Super Bowl in HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:43 AM

DISH will air ABC's high def broadcast of Super Bowl XL to HD-enabled customers in 10 cities where the network owns and operates a local broadcast station. Those cities are Chicago; Flint, Mich.; Fresno, Calif.; Houston; Los Angeles; New York; Philadelphia; Raleigh-Durham, N.C.; San Francisco and Toledo, Ohio.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:35 AM

mpeg2 or mpeg4? I assume mpeg2. By HD-enabled customers, does that mean subscribed to the HD pak? Or just have a HD capable receiver?

#3 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:43 AM

I would assume MPEG2 since that is the way they said they were going to do the Olympics. Besides, I don't think anything is active yet in MPEG4.

#4 OFFLINE   marty43

marty43

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:54 AM

what if you live in white area and qualify for ABC, would I get the HD feed

#5 OFFLINE   J.J.

J.J.

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:06 AM

that's bull crap, what about Pittsburgh......

were in the damn thing!!!!!!!

JJ in Pittsburgh...

#6 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:10 AM

what if you live in white area and qualify for ABC, would I get the HD feed

If you are not in the markets listed, it will not be available.

#7 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:13 AM

It is not Dish fault as they need a waiver from your local station in order to rebroadcast the Superbowl to you. Dish got this waver for the stations that ABC owns. Check with you local ABC affilate to see if they will give DISH a waver.
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#8 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:14 AM

that's bull crap, what about Pittsburgh......

were in the damn thing!!!!!!!

JJ in Pittsburgh...

So is Seattle, but their ABC affiliate is not owned or operated by ABC either.

#9 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:17 AM

What about distant markets?

#10 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:20 AM

It is not Dish fault as they need a waiver from your local station in order to rebroadcast the Superbowl to you. Dish got this waver for the stations that ABC owns. Check with you local ABC affilate to see if they will give DISH a waver.

It most likely would have to be a blanket waiver for the entire market as I doubt that E* will be interested in processing individual waivers for this one-day event.

#11 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:23 AM

What about distant markets?

The list of markets is in the story. No other markets are likely to be considered.

#12 OFFLINE   transplant

transplant

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:55 AM

DISH will air ABC's high def broadcast of Super Bowl XL to HD-enabled customers in 10 cities where the network owns and operates a local broadcast station. Those cities are Chicago; Flint, Mich.; Fresno, Calif.; Houston; Los Angeles; New York; Philadelphia; Raleigh-Durham, N.C.; San Francisco and Toledo, Ohio.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

I think it is a crime that all Dish customers that have HD cannot receive the Super Bowl in HD. What is the use to have HD if availability to HD is controled by the networks. I thought the public controlled the airwaves, Ha Ha, that is a joke. Another case of Dish customers getting shafted. You pay for local channels but yet subscribers are at the mercy of every network mogul. This is unmitigated dictatorship.. I am sure Charlie could have provided this if he was really interested in his customers.

#13 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:18 AM

What bothers me is that Dish did the very same thing during the Olympics and have made little effort to improve the situation in a year and a half. I am 1,500 miles from the nearest ABC HD affiliate, have all the distant locals and HD pack and Dish expects me to watch the SuperBowl in SD while DirectTV subscribers can easily get it in HD. I am not happy.

#14 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:30 AM

I think it is a crime that all Dish customers that have HD cannot receive the Super Bowl in HD. What is the use to have HD if availability to HD is controled by the networks. I thought the public controlled the airwaves, Ha Ha, that is a joke. Another case of Dish customers getting shafted. You pay for local channels but yet subscribers are at the mercy of every network mogul. This is unmitigated dictatorship.. I am sure Charlie could have provided this if he was really interested in his customers.

This really gets tiring, some people perpetually assume that its somehow Dish's fault, when its totally beyond their control. They try and provide something to several cities for the Superbowl in HD, and just because your not included, its Dish's fault...

Dish could broadcast the Superbowl to ever receiver in America if they felt like it, and wanted to be sued into oblivion and have the FCC yank all their licenses.. Its a legal issue, always has been, always will be... its not Dish's fault get over it..
Norm

#15 OFFLINE   UTFAN

UTFAN

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:41 AM

This really gets tiring, some people perpetually assume that its somehow Dish's fault, when its totally beyond their control. They try and provide something to several cities for the Superbowl in HD, and just because your not included, its Dish's fault...

Dish could broadcast the Superbowl to ever receiver in America if they felt like it, and wanted to be sued into oblivion and have the FCC yank all their licenses.. Its a legal issue, always has been, always will be... its not Dish's fault get over it..

You're absolutely right. Dish is just doing the best it can. The villains in all this are the NAB and FCC. The NAB and Eddie Ditz could care less about us, as for the FCC, it's just a bloated and stupid bureaucracy.

They're stupid and short-sighted. We lose. Dish should be congratulated and appreciated for its efforts.

But blame the NAB and FCC, not Dish.

#16 OFFLINE   SMosher

SMosher

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:48 AM

Thank goodness for OTA ;p

#17 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:49 AM

Great news! I've been totally frustrated because they reportedly will have Chicago HD locals on Feb. 1 but no way to get new dish and MPEG4 receiver installed by Super Bowl Sunday. This will take care of a lot of their customers. Those not in O&O markets can blame their local stations, not E*. I'm sure E* would be happy to broadcast nationwide if they had waivers.

Question: Do existing HD customers in the O&O markets have to do anything to activate this broadcast or will the channel just appear on Super Bowl Sunday?

#18 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:03 AM

Question: Do existing HD customers in the O&O markets have to do anything to activate this broadcast or will the channel just appear on Super Bowl Sunday?

If I were a betting man I would be looking for it on the NFLHD channel.....but that's just my guess.

#19 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:07 AM

ok then give me your money because the game will be on 240 and 250

#20 OFFLINE   thxultra

thxultra

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

Sounds good to me. I think dish really came through on this one. They know they will not be able to give out the 211's fast enough so they are just going to make it easy and give the game to as many as they can. I think dish really came through on this.

spam firewall