Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Giveaway

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
77 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SPECIES11703

SPECIES11703

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:36 AM

I just got an email from Directv telling me that I qualify for a free reconditioned Directv DVR with Tivo. All I have to pay is the shipping. Has anyone else gotten an email on this promo?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LeoGetz

LeoGetz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:03 AM

I just got an email from Directv telling me that I qualify for a free reconditioned Directv DVR with Tivo. All I have to pay is the shipping. Has anyone else gotten an email on this promo?

Email..can you same scam? Be very careful of emails that are giving you things for free. What all you have to do is give them your credit card number? Is there a link to click, if so do not do it. Man in these times do you really think they are going to email you something that is free....? Again be very careful with emails from what look like D*, ebay, paypal, microsoft any company....

Upadate...I see that some people say this is for real...I would be very careful like I said...Just seems very odd that they would just send out random emails and give stuff away.

#3 OFFLINE   vic3435

vic3435

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:41 AM

I got same email it is from d*

#4 OFFLINE   John Duncan Yoyo

John Duncan Yoyo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:58 AM

Email..can you same scam? Be very careful of emails that are giving you things for free. What all you have to do is give them your credit card number? Is there a link to click, if so do not do it. Man in these times do you really think they are going to email you something that is free....? Again be very careful with emails from what look like D*, ebay, paypal, microsoft any company....

Upadate...I see that some people say this is for real...I would be very careful like I said...Just seems very odd that they would just send out random emails and give stuff away.

Here is the link.
http://www.directv.c...OMO_CODE=DVR4ME

It acted like it was a valid DTV address.

#5 OFFLINE   Ric

Ric

Godfather

• Gold Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

Just log into your account. Under My Equipment, select Add or Replace Receiver. Use Offer code DVR4ME

#6 OFFLINE   lee1203

lee1203

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:00 PM

thanks just order mine!!!!

#7 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:18 PM

Just log into your account. Under My Equipment, select Add or Replace Receiver. Use Offer code DVR4ME

Do you know the code for an R15 instead of the R10? Also you get to own this DVR right? It's not a leased one.

Thanks,

Victor
-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

#8 OFFLINE   LeoGetz

LeoGetz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:21 PM

Wow I got one just incase I do not like my new R15. I already have 2 D*Tivo's ..this will make 3 and for $15 you can not go wrong.

#9 OFFLINE   LeoGetz

LeoGetz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

Anyone know what model they are sending us?

#10 OFFLINE   John Duncan Yoyo

John Duncan Yoyo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

Do you know the code for an R15 instead of the R10? Also you get to own this DVR right? It's not a leased one.

This is for an TiVO refurb, a 40 hour unit. Just like my first TiVO.

I have the upgrade hard drive ready and waiting.

#11 OFFLINE   John Duncan Yoyo

John Duncan Yoyo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:03 PM

Anyone know what model they are sending us?

Based on the description someone narrowed it down to one of these- Philips DSR704, Hughes DVR40, Samsung 4040 or RCADVR40. I believe they are all the same on the inside.

#12 OFFLINE   Tom J

Tom J

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:44 PM

I agree that we should be suspicious of email offers. So I asked them about it.

Dear Mr.

Thanks for writing. After reviewing the message you received, I can reassure you that it was sent out by DIRECTV.

To keep from overloading our systems, we sometimes use a third party to send out email notifications and newsletters. Because they are sent from a third party e-mail server, the return address may be similar to DirecTV_._@xmr3.com instead of XX@DIRECTV.com. While the return address may look unfamiliar, there is no reason to worry. Of course, should you have any concerns about suspicious e-mail allegedly from DIRECTV, feel free to check with us.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our service.

Sincerely,
DIRECTV Customer Service

#13 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:14 AM

Just ordered mine. Now I need to find a good deal on a hard drive.

Any suggestions?

#14 OFFLINE   CygnusTM

CygnusTM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:31 AM

If I alread have a TiVo, I can just replace one of my non-TiVo receivers with this for no extra cost, right?

#15 OFFLINE   John Duncan Yoyo

John Duncan Yoyo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:02 AM

If I alread have a TiVo, I can just replace one of my non-TiVo receivers with this for no extra cost, right?

Yep, monthly charge wise It will be a wash. You are already paying the DVR fee and you need to deactivate the standard reciever.

#16 OFFLINE   Slide

Slide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

Is there anyway you can use this in conjuction with a standard h10 HD receiver to record SD and HD content?

#17 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

The only inputs from these units being offered are the SAT tuners. No way to ship a signal from your HD to a SD DTivo. But then again, if there was a way it wouldn't be HD.

#18 OFFLINE   twohourride

twohourride

Mentor

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:32 AM

I couldn't see this anywhere on "terms and agreements", but does accepting this offer (I went all the way to the 'submit' button) activate a 1-year contract?

thanks!

#19 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:57 AM

If it was for a DVR device I believe it's a 2 year agreement.

EDIT: But maybe not with these "used" devices. Should always read the fine print.

#20 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:48 AM

The e-mail that was sent out says "No strings attached", however, after just getting off the phone with D*, I'm being told that what "No strings attached" means is no hidden additional costs. But since the DVR is one of their "Advanced Technology" products, then yes, there is an additional two-year commitment.

I explained the "no strings attached" wording and the fact that nowhere in the e-mail nor in the ordering process did it cite their policy of the additional programming commitment, but after being on hold for ten minutes he came back with the fact that there may have been an omission in the e-mail.

Bottom line, yes, there is a two-year commitment attached. The fine print on the e-mail did not mention a commitment, nor do I recall seeing it when placing the order (isn't it usually cited somewhere when ordering equipment on-line, fine print or otherwise???), but that is their policy.

What I did find strange in my particular situation is when I asked how long my current commitment runs, he said November 2006. I told him that I did buy a second HD Tivo in August 2005, and was expecting my commitment would currently run through August or September 2007. He checked again - no, November 2006.

Then (the poor guy) I had to go on and explain in light of that, then, I would need to rethink this. Adding a couple of months to my commitment was one thing, but if I'm looking at an extra 14 months essentially (over what I'm currently at), then I would need to weigh extending my commitment that long with whether I feel they will be able to live up to all the promises they are currently making (more HD, etc.) and living under their new lease-based business model. (I was very polite about it, though :D ).

He was going to pass my concerns up the line in respect to this offer requiring an additional commitment, but not really mentioning it. I normally would have assumed there was one, aside from the fact that the e-mail says "No strings attached". Unfortunate wording on their part.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...