Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Giveaway

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
77 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:22 PM

The e-mail that was sent out says "No strings attached", however, after just getting off the phone with D*, I'm being told that what "No strings attached" means is no hidden additional costs. But since the DVR is one of their "Advanced Technology" products, then yes, there is an additional two-year commitment.

I explained the "no strings attached" wording and the fact that nowhere in the e-mail nor in the ordering process did it cite their policy of the additional programming commitment, but after being on hold for ten minutes he came back with the fact that there may have been an omission in the e-mail.

Bottom line, yes, there is a two-year commitment attached. The fine print on the e-mail did not mention a commitment, nor do I recall seeing it when placing the order (isn't it usually cited somewhere when ordering equipment on-line, fine print or otherwise???), but that is their policy.

What I did find strange in my particular situation is when I asked how long my current commitment runs, he said November 2006. I told him that I did buy a second HD Tivo in August 2005, and was expecting my commitment would currently run through August or September 2007. He checked again - no, November 2006.

Then (the poor guy) I had to go on and explain in light of that, then, I would need to rethink this. Adding a couple of months to my commitment was one thing, but if I'm looking at an extra 14 months essentially (over what I'm currently at), then I would need to weigh extending my commitment that long with whether I feel they will be able to live up to all the promises they are currently making (more HD, etc.) and living under their new lease-based business model. (I was very polite about it, though :D ).

He was going to pass my concerns up the line in respect to this offer requiring an additional commitment, but not really mentioning it. I normally would have assumed there was one, aside from the fact that the e-mail says "No strings attached". Unfortunate wording on their part.

There is no such thing as unfortunate wording with D*. You can bet their lawyers look these deals over before the are sent out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   elonm

elonm

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:37 PM

The e-mail that was sent out says "No strings attached", however, after just getting off the phone with D*, I'm being told that what "No strings attached" means is no hidden additional costs. But since the DVR is one of their "Advanced Technology" products, then yes, there is an additional two-year commitment.

I explained the "no strings attached" wording and the fact that nowhere in the e-mail nor in the ordering process did it cite their policy of the additional programming commitment, but after being on hold for ten minutes he came back with the fact that there may have been an omission in the e-mail.

Bottom line, yes, there is a two-year commitment attached. The fine print on the e-mail did not mention a commitment, nor do I recall seeing it when placing the order (isn't it usually cited somewhere when ordering equipment on-line, fine print or otherwise???), but that is their policy.

What I did find strange in my particular situation is when I asked how long my current commitment runs, he said November 2006. I told him that I did buy a second HD Tivo in August 2005, and was expecting my commitment would currently run through August or September 2007. He checked again - no, November 2006.

Then (the poor guy) I had to go on and explain in light of that, then, I would need to rethink this. Adding a couple of months to my commitment was one thing, but if I'm looking at an extra 14 months essentially (over what I'm currently at), then I would need to weigh extending my commitment that long with whether I feel they will be able to live up to all the promises they are currently making (more HD, etc.) and living under their new lease-based business model. (I was very polite about it, though :D ).

He was going to pass my concerns up the line in respect to this offer requiring an additional commitment, but not really mentioning it. I normally would have assumed there was one, aside from the fact that the e-mail says "No strings attached". Unfortunate wording on their part.

The response you received is 100% incorrect. Here are the actual terms and conditions for the offer:

Terms and Conditions

By placing this order you agree to the following terms and conditions:

Offer for existing residential customers only with accounts in good standing, as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion.

Applicable taxes not included in system price.

Within 30 days of equipment purchase you agree to activate the DIRECTV DVR service ($5.99/mo.). In certain markets, programming and pricing may vary.

Limited time offer expires 2/28/2006 or while supplies last.

DIRECTV DVR service fee is $5.99/mo. and covers every DVR in your home. The DVR service fee is waived for customers subscribing to TOTAL CHOICE PREMIER programming.
*Actual recording capacity depends on type of programming being recorded. Land-based phone line connection required. Professional installation highly recommended.

DIRECTV PROGRAMMING AND PRICING SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME. Fee for separate programming on second and each additional TV $4.99.mo. You are not obligated to continue your subscription to DIRECTV programming for any specific duration. Existing customers may activate additional receivers with their existing DIRECTV programming package. FAILURE TO ACTIVATE THE DIRECTV SYSTEM WITHIN 30 DAYS OF RECEIPT MAY RESULT IN A CHARGE OF $150 FOR EACH DIRECTV RECEIVER NOT ACTIVATED. If you return your equipment within 30 days of purchase and prior to installation, you will receive a full refund, minus shipping and handling. Offer void in Alaska and Hawaii and where prohibited or restricted. May not be combined with any other offer. Offer and equipment are non-transferable and may not be resold. Hardware and programming sold separately. Programming and pricing subject to change. Pricing in residential. Taxes not included. Receipt of DIRECTV programming is subject to the terms of the DIRECTV Customer Agreement; a copy is provided at DIRECTV.com and in your first bill. DIRECTV services not provided outside the U.S.

Please note the underlined part in bold. It SPECIFICALLY states there is no additional commitment required.

Call them back and have them look at the actual terms and conditions they are disclosing on their website. There was another person over at Tivocommunity that got the same song and dance until he finally esculated to someone that knew what they were talking about.

-David

#23 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:14 PM

elonm,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was certain when I ordered this that I came away with the distinct feeling that I was not committing to additional time, I just could not recall after reading TwoHourRide's question today exactly what gave me that impression. What you quoted is EXACTLY what I read on which I based that feeling.

You're my hero for today. I was going to respond to Drive's question that there was NO commitment required, then couldn't find/remember what that was based on, so I called D*. I was afraid of CSR roulette, and justifiably so. This kind of thing is what falls under the "living up to their promises" caveat I discussed with the CSR in deciding whether to commit to more time. Though I have no intention of leaving D* any time soon, these are the kind of things that don't fall in D*'s favor when people are making those decisions.

I am going to print this thread and make sure I have it in hand when I activate.

#24 OFFLINE   John Duncan Yoyo

John Duncan Yoyo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:19 PM

I just got a Hughes SD-40-R via FedEX. They are keeping score over at the tivo forum and what shows up is a bit of a mixed bag. <http://www.tivocommu...d.php?t=284690>

#25 OFFLINE   twohourride

twohourride

Mentor

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

cool..thanks guys! I am out of contract and did not want the additional commitment until I see what all is happening at D* with HD.

I have heard they schedule installation, but some who have ordered just cancel the installation date once they get the receiver. Any advice on this issue?

#26 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:04 PM

My order went through on the 30th. No delivery date set then, no contact to set one since then. Also no Order Confirmation Number printed on the "Congratulations! Your order is complete" screen. Don't know if I'll get one or not.

#27 OFFLINE   John Duncan Yoyo

John Duncan Yoyo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:55 PM

My order went through on the 30th. No delivery date set then, no contact to set one since then. Also no Order Confirmation Number printed on the "Congratulations! Your order is complete" screen. Don't know if I'll get one or not.

No confirmation number is a real bad sign. No confirmation number no order. It's a known problem that you should contact DTV about. <http://www.tivocommu...on#post3736068>

#28 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:35 PM

Yep, that's the case. No order. Doesn't seem like you can get one through that page either.

#29 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:49 PM

Here is the repsonse I got from D* when asking to confirm that there is NO two-year (or other period) commitment associated with the offer associated with this thread:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Frame,

Thank you for writing. Thank you for writing. I apologize for any confusion there has been about this offer. There is no programming commitment when the DIRECTV DVR blowout offer for existing customers that you have ordered.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our services.

Sincerely,

Aaron H
DIRECTV Customer Service

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO ADDITIONAL COMMITMENT WITH THIS OFFER.

#30 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:55 PM

That sounds good JLP, but there are still a ton of folks, including me, that can't get by the "system error" message when ordering. Many have, many have not.

With my pessimistic hat on my only comment is "Just like DTV....some things work, some don't".

#31 OFFLINE   bpatt

bpatt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:47 PM

That sounds good JLP, but there are still a ton of folks, including me, that can't get by the "system error" message when ordering. Many have, many have not.

With my pessimistic hat on my only comment is "Just like DTV....some things work, some don't".

Ditto that. System error, system error.:mad:

#32 OFFLINE   gkamer

gkamer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

I just got an email from Directv telling me that I qualify for a free reconditioned Directv DVR with Tivo. All I have to pay is the shipping. Has anyone else gotten an email on this promo?

You have to be really careful about these "free" just pay shipping/handling... Just because the web page looks offivial doesn't mean squat...

As an exercise to demonstrate to some less computer savy friends, I once made up a bogus ebay email. It took me about 10 minutes to collect all the assorted graphics I wanted to include, put them all together into an "official" looking email from ebay and even disguise the web link. When I was done, you could not tell this email did NOT come from ebay.

If I were you, I would back the email up with a phone call to DirectTV. If they can't confirm it as valid, pass on that puppy.

#33 OFFLINE   freakedout

freakedout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:26 PM

Just log into your account on DTVs website. Click on Add a dvr link. When you get to the screen that asks if you have a code enter DVR4ME. It will take you to a order screen and complete your order. Can't get more official than that.

#34 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:58 PM

You have to be really careful about these "free" just pay shipping/handling... Just because the web page looks offivial doesn't mean squat...

As an exercise to demonstrate to some less computer savy friends, I once made up a bogus ebay email. It took me about 10 minutes to collect all the assorted graphics I wanted to include, put them all together into an "official" looking email from ebay and even disguise the web link. When I was done, you could not tell this email did NOT come from ebay.

If I were you, I would back the email up with a phone call to DirectTV. If they can't confirm it as valid, pass on that puppy.

First thing I did before responding to the e-mail was go to D*s web site, logged in, went to the feedback page and explained the e-mail and asked if it was legit. They responded within a day or two that yes, in fact, it was legit. Also, I did not use a link within the e-mail to order. Again, I logged into the web site and went through the ordering process.

Your words are a great cautionary warning that I fully agree with. We need to be careful about these kinds of things. I don't know when I became such a skeptical person, and I'm not thrilled that it came to that, but with the things people are pulling these days I like to think of it more as rightfully cautious than skeptical.

#35 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:25 PM

Ditto that. System error, system error.:mad:

I HATE when that happens.

A couple of questions, in case it might help you or others. Have you ordered through their web site before successfully? And is it possible that it's giving an error because of some firewall programs or something on your system blocking it? (I just read this again after posting this and man, does that sound like a stupid question, sorry)

I know it's a pain where we sit, but has anyone been able to order this over the phone if they were having system problems?

I just now read some of the referenced thread at Tivo Community (after typing the above) but did not read all 9 pages and don't know if this was covered there.

cool..thanks guys! I am out of contract and did not want the additional commitment until I see what all is happening at D* with HD.

I have heard they schedule installation, but some who have ordered just cancel the installation date once they get the receiver. Any advice on this issue?

twohourride,

My installation was scheduled for Friday a.m. (2/3). My unit was delivered to my house via FedEx Ground today (2/2). Installation for me entails just plugging it in and running two lines from an existing multi-switch. No need really for an installer to come out, so I could call and cancel. If there’s more to it than that, it might make sense for an installer to come out. Otherwise, I can see why people would cancel the “install” if the equipment is delivered (unlike new units).

Best of Luck to all who are having trouble.

For the record, I received a Hughes SD-DVR40.

#36 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:47 AM

Well, go figure. Right now, 11:46 PM MST I got through and it worked.

With my luck I'll get yet another R10 and not one of the little cherries I would like.

#37 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:08 AM

Well, go figure. Right now, 11:46 PM MST I got through and it worked.

With my luck I'll get yet another R10 and not one of the little cherries I would like.

Nope. D* is trying to get rid of all the 40 GB DVRs, so I don't think you'll get a R10.

#38 OFFLINE   John Duncan Yoyo

John Duncan Yoyo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:22 AM

Nope. D* is trying to get rid of all the 40 GB DVRs, so I don't think you'll get a R10.

People have been given R15s, R10s along with all the different flavors of SD40s. Some Installers have been bringing R15 because they were told only to use them in new installs.

#39 OFFLINE   LeoGetz

LeoGetz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:45 AM

I go my Hughes DVR40 yesterday...The installer will be there on the 11th...Mine was refurbished...But at least it will make a good spare if anything happens to my exsiting Tivo's..and I get them to run more cables:)

#40 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:53 AM

People have been given R15s, R10s along with all the different flavors of SD40s. Some Installers have been bringing R15 because they were told only to use them in new installs.

But these are all refurbished 40 GB HDD Tivo units and are drop shipped to the customer, with the installer coming later to do the install. I think we may be talking about two different things here.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...