Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Giveaway

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
77 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   LeoGetz

LeoGetz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:03 PM

I entered the code into the Directv accound upgrade page and they mailed me a Directv Tivo..referbished. The installer came and installed a new R-15???? What ever I didnt say no....Has this happend to anyone else?

Update....I guess I should have read the thread alittle better...LOL Sorry..

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   Bud33

Bud33

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

Today, the installer arrived (ahead of time) with a new R-15 and installed it.
A week ago FedEx delivered a HDVR2 (which looks new).
I now have two R-15's (installed) and a HDVR2 sitting on the shelf.
Unlike many, this is my first experience with DVR's of any type so I really don't have any problems with the R-15 (ignorance is bliss)

#63 OFFLINE   az_timeshift

az_timeshift

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:03 PM

Placed my order last week, got a HDVR2 FedEx to me on Friday. Spent way too much time getting it to run (needed to update from 3.1 to 6.2) and the unit will still lockup when I try to list the recorded shows. I've never owned a Tivo before, always preferred ReplayTV. The R15 isn't the easiest to navigate, but it's quick and doesn't lockup like the Tivo that I received does. Hopefully when the installer shows up this Friday he'll have a R15 with him to install.

#64 OFFLINE   kuhars5

kuhars5

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:10 PM

i just ordered mine today and there was no programming commintment

#65 OFFLINE   kuhars5

kuhars5

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:14 PM

I like to know is the Directv DVR like Comcast On Demand or is it deferent

#66 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:31 PM

Placed my order last week, got a HDVR2 FedEx to me on Friday. Spent way too much time getting it to run (needed to update from 3.1 to 6.2) and the unit will still lockup when I try to list the recorded shows. I've never owned a Tivo before, always preferred ReplayTV. The R15 isn't the easiest to navigate, but it's quick and doesn't lockup like the Tivo that I received does. Hopefully when the installer shows up this Friday he'll have a R15 with him to install.

That's not typical. Call DTV and tell them you received a bad unit and want another.

#67 OFFLINE   meyer692

meyer692

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:35 PM

Based on the description someone narrowed it down to one of these- Philips DSR704, Hughes DVR40, Samsung 4040 or RCADVR40. I believe they are all the same on the inside.

Do they all have the dual live buffer? I have the Hughes and like it better than my r15, so I might take advantage of this offer and shelve the r15 til they get it working better or need a 3rd dvr.

#68 OFFLINE   John Duncan Yoyo

John Duncan Yoyo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:26 PM

Do they all have the dual live buffer? I have the Hughes and like it better than my r15, so I might take advantage of this offer and shelve the r15 til they get it working better or need a 3rd dvr.

They are all pretty much the same box under the skin. I got a hughes sd40 which matches my original unit.

#69 OFFLINE   kuhars5

kuhars5

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

I just got my Free dvr from directv today from fedex its a Phillips Directv Dvr 7000 at least it matches my Phillips tv set and I am waiting for my appoitment on Sunday

#70 OFFLINE   van_gogh

van_gogh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:36 PM

Got a refurb Phillips 7000 (35 hour) unit delivered by FedEx on Wednesday and had it installed today. Boy, I forgot how slow the guide was with the 3.x software, but I don't have it connected to a phone line and won't for a while - it may never get an update. I'm just glad the kids can now record all of their shows on their own unit.

Now that I have a back-up I may stray to one of those other boards and see what these puppies can really do! Anyone know where I can get a cheap 200MB hard drive? ;)

#71 OFFLINE   captenblack

captenblack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

Just got in on this deal, we'll see if I get a shipment. I don't need installation, not sure if I can get out of it.

I do have a random question. I am about 8 months in on a 2 year agreement with DirecTV. I realize this offer does not require a new contract, but if it did, would I have to restart the 2 year contract? Just curious.

Thanks for the info in this thread, very helpful.

#72 OFFLINE   TivoAddict

TivoAddict

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:53 AM

If i recall.. these need a landline for the install.. but after that VOIP will work? anyone KNOW for sure?

I just ordered the Free DVR... it is scheduled for install on 03/04/06 -- my telephone line is scheduled to be port over to my VOIP line on 0/30/06

IF the new DVR arrives BEFORE by FED EX.. i can probably get it going myself.... BUT, Murphy's Law says......

Before i start messing with changing work order on phone line (because u know once i do that.. it will be ANOTHER MESS to unravel because any change generally guarantees a screw up... otherwise it is only likely....)

If anyone Knows the answer to this.. re: this DVR.. sure would appreciate your input!
THANKS!

#73 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:18 AM

Any Tivo based DVR does require a phone line for the initial call. If you get an R15 it does not.

#74 OFFLINE   TivoAddict

TivoAddict

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

That is what i thought... figures my land line is supposed to go the DAY B4 the installer comes w/ the DTIVO....
i will have to call and HOPE there is a FEDX tracking no. & DTIVO gets here B4 theinstallers scheduled time...
keep u'r fingas toes eyes n nose crossed for me
;)

#75 OFFLINE   DaveK913

DaveK913

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:36 AM

I just registered to say thank you to this forum for making us aware of this offer. I was just browsing around and came here from the AVS Forums and saw this thread. Needless to say we're happy whether we get one or two. Bring 'em on!:)

#76 OFFLINE   captenblack

captenblack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:17 PM

My DVR just arrived (an HDVR2)... via Fedex. "Installation" scheduled for Saturday. Should I just call and cancel, since all I have to do is hook the thing up to the TV, no major work needs to be done.

#77 OFFLINE   John Duncan Yoyo

John Duncan Yoyo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:08 PM

My DVR just arrived (an HDVR2)... via Fedex. "Installation" scheduled for Saturday. Should I just call and cancel, since all I have to do is hook the thing up to the TV, no major work needs to be done.

As long as you have two cables running to the location then you are good to go. Hook the thing up and make sure it works before you cancel just incase you need something tweaked by the installer.

#78 OFFLINE   TivoAddict

TivoAddict

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

My DirecTivo arrived (FedEx). i tried setting it up (using the ONE Line in OPTION) so i could have it make its inital call. It would not set up... was reporting signal on ONLY the ODD numbered transponders...
I decided to try swapping it with my R15 to determine if it was the box or the line-- I set it up, and the inital call was completed (now shows it has software vs 6.2)
Now that i saw it was working in the living room, i thought maybe i had just done something wrong. I tested the plain receiver, and it worked FINE in the 2nd room...
I tried again to set up the DirecTivo, with same result...
Installer came today... and ran another line...
With BOTH lines-- the DVR seems to work...
BUT the installer says there IS SOMETHING wrong with it???
AND..
althought my SA TIVO will make a phone call with my VOIP...
this box will NOT do so...
ANYONE have any ideas?
I tried to call direct TV... and after giving me a hard time.. the CSR asked me to hold while he got the "correct procedure" to process a return...
After holding for about 5 min- i got a busy signal.. ( he disconnected me :-(
ANYONE have any input on why the Philips DSR7000 does NOT seem able to make a call, but my SA Tivo will?? (OLD OLD series 1 TIvo)
also both my R15 and plain receiver.. Caller ID works on BOTH Of them!!
ANY IMPUT GREATLY APPRECIATED!
THANKS!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...