Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR10-250 connection question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mjferguson

mjferguson

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:51 AM

I have 2 questions:

1. I have my unit setup and have no phone line (used neighbors). If I unplug the unit do I need a phone line again or not?

2. What is the "best" connection for the unit. I have Sony Wega LCD tv with DVI. I am using the HDMI to DVI cable for the connection. Are the any opinions as to what is better, this setup or component or ???

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dewalt

dewalt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:54 AM

I have 2 questions:

1. I have my unit setup and have no phone line (used neighbors). If I unplug the unit do I need a phone line again or not?

2. What is the "best" connection for the unit. I have Sony Wega LCD tv with DVI. I am using the HDMI to DVI cable for the connection. Are the any opinions as to what is better, this setup or component or ???

1. You do not need a phone line again. Although, you will receive a nag message telling you to make the call. I think mine says that I havent made a call in 200 days.

2. The connection seems to depend on the TV. I've heard reports that people get a better signal via components instead of HDMI/DVI. I suggest you just try it out and see which is better.

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:08 PM

I have had two Sony Wega LCD's (60 inch - one got stolen) and on both I used HDMI out of the HR10-250 into HDMI inputs on the Wega. Does your TV not have HDMI inputs? I currently have two HR10-250's connected via HDMI to my TV (set has two HDMI inputs).

I am not familiar with entire Wega line and realize this may not be helpful to you, but I was just curious about whether your Wega doesn't actually have HDMI inputs.

#4 OFFLINE   mikehoff99

mikehoff99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:14 PM

One thing you need keep in mind is.....
HDMI will carry both video and sound.if you are going to use the tv for a sound source...then use the HDMI.
DVI will only carry picture.
If you are using a stereo receiver for sound...then all you need is the cable that will convert from HDMI to DVI, and Use optical for sound..if this is an option.
I have a HR10-250 and i use the DVI connection on my tv. This eliminates the need
to either...
1. use 2 remotes to raise/lower volume.(1 for tv volume+1 for stereo receiver)
2. have to switch between devices on my universal remote to raise/lower volume.
hope this helps!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...