Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 and storage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spaceopera

spaceopera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:04 PM

Can someone tell me why it is that the 622 is only going to have 30 hrs of hd when it is being stored as mpeg4. Why is there not about 75 hours? This is a big problem with the 942 imho and I just don't understand how there can only be 30 hr of hd if it stored in mpeg4

-Gene

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

:welcome_s Gene

Hard to say.. Some have speculated that the numbers released are based on MPEG2 compression. Hard to say at this point what you can except in terms of storage from MPEG4. Also, remember that a portion of the Hard Drive is reserved for VOD for the 622.

I know cable HD DVRs that have 10 hours of HD so at this point the Dish HD receivers are definitely competitive in the market. When it come to storage, more is always better.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,186 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:03 PM

Can someone tell me why it is that the 622 is only going to have 30 hrs of hd when it is being stored as mpeg4. Why is there not about 75 hours? This is a big problem with the 942 imho and I just don't understand how there can only be 30 hr of hd if it stored in mpeg4

You might recall that the current "on the fly" compression offered by MPEG4 is only about 30% better than MPEG2. Recall also that the bulk of the HD programming is still going to be MPEG2 and the receiver saves the stream in whatever format it was received in. At this point in time, 30 hours may be a little optimistic even if the hard drive is >300GB.

I'd like to see an option where the receiver painstakingly transcodes everything to MPEG4 when it is idle. There may be some copyright issues involved though.

#4 OFFLINE   spaceopera

spaceopera

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

Did not realize that it was on the fly encoding. If that is case then yeah they are not going to gain the huge benefits from mpeg4 encoded content. Though a 30% saves in bandwidth is still a lot considering how expensive it is for a satellite. They should have an option to free up the vod space because I for one would much rather have the additional space then vod which I will not use. And Ron I use to have a tivo and if you had a tivo you would know how painful it is using dish hardware and the total lack of space. I watch very little standard def on my 50” plasma. Well some day they might get it right.

-Gene

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

Tivo HD? If I recall the original Tivo HD had the same disk as the 921. If we are talking SD, well the 721 also could store a lot more but that is SD. HD and SD are apples and oranges in terms of storage requirements and I stand behind my point that Dish's HD PVRs are competitive in terms of storage. I would welcome the option to free up the VOD for extra storage, but I doubt that will happen. One never knows and I also would like more storage but "total lack of space" compared to the market I disagree with this statement. However, as time goes on I expect this issue to improve.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   knealy

knealy

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:36 PM

Can someone compare the hard disk size of the 622, 942, and 921?

#7 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

Can someone compare the hard disk size of the 622, 942, and 921?

320gb for the 622. 250gb for the other two.

Interesting that the tech site says 30 hours hd on the 622. Previous spec sheet say 25hour. Speculation was that added 70g would be reserved for Dish on Demand.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#8 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

I sure hope that Dish can do something better with the 70 hours in regards to to the video on demand than what they do with it presently. Charging 4.99 a movie that is on the hard drive vs buying off of the guide for 3.99?

Video on demand should be more like the cable companies do. Free video on demand for channels like Hgtv, Food channels , Diy etc and then free premium channel video on demand for Hbo, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz if you already subscribe to the premium channels.

Then of course they could charge for the new pay per view movies but not higher than what you can get them for from the guide. And no more old movies from years ago unless they are going to be FREE. It is a sin to charge money for a twenty year old movie everyone has seen already a hundred times.

#9 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:48 PM

What do you mean by what they are doing presently Mike? Is dish doing VOD already on a receiver. I was not aware they they already supplied a VOD solution...

#10 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:49 AM

Aye, can someone post details on what the Dish VOD solution involves? Has this information been released? What channels or content are they making available "on demand" (presumably by downloading while idle and caching), and is any of it free?

#11 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:16 AM

320gb for the 622. 250gb for the other two.

Interesting that the tech site says 30 hours hd on the 622. Previous spec sheet say 25hour. Speculation was that added 70g would be reserved for Dish on Demand.

Sounds like they shrunk the amount of space allocated for VOD then. Guess we'll see for sure in a couple of days =)
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:20 PM

Either that or they changed their compression estimations. :)
My 30 hr SD 501 records whatever I can squeeze on it.

#13 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

a friend I have at Dish told me today that from what he's been told at work there is no record time difference for mpeg2 and 4, as the compression is for transmission, not for storage. so his usderstanding is that we would see no difference in space needed for what we record. will be interesting to verify that or not in the coming weeks.

he also mentioned the 622 is now set as 30 hrs HD, and that they are looking to make VOD capable of being disabled since so many requests have come in for that :)
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#14 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

a friend I have at Dish told me today that from what he's been told at work there is no record time difference for mpeg2 and 4, as the compression is for transmission, not for storage. so his usderstanding is that we would see no difference in space needed for what we record.

Your friend needs to think about this statement a little harder. ;)

#15 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:29 PM

What your friend might have heard is that currently the MPEG4 streams are being sent as MPEG2 with MPEG4 headers (if true and based on what I have read it is). MPEG4 is a different algorithm and thus will result in different storage requirements. MPEG4 is expected to result in a certain savings compared to MPEG2 for the same given input stream. I can assure you eventually there will be a recording saving since the streams will be stored on the drive as MPEG2 or MPEG4.

There is also a savings that can be realized through transmission optimizations and that is where QSPK comes into play from my understanding.

Over time.. I do believe users will get more storage out of the current drive the 622 has.

#16 OFFLINE   BoisePaul

BoisePaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:40 PM

Your friend needs to think about this statement a little harder. ;)

If I'm thinking correctly (yeah, right!) wouldn't 30 hours of uncompressed HD require something like 20TB of disk space?

#17 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:49 PM

are we sure the data is stored in mpeg2 format currently? could it be in a special unique encryption/compression so the data couldn't be pulled off the HD by any old computer? But the mpeg4 header might be right, as the way he stated it was the "transmission" would be mpeg4, but the data would be stored the same as it is now. So if it's currently in mpeg2 on the HD it'll still be in mpeg2 on the HD when we view, just mpeg4 during transmission to save space? does that make sense at all? I don't see why a station which is only broadcast in mpeg4 wouldn't also prepare the programming ahead of time in mpeg4 (excpet the network feeds since you'd be limited to whatever they send to Dish). The voom stuff in mpeg4 wouldn't make sense to do in mpeg2 unless there was some serious money issues involved, would it?
Regards,

RogueOne
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#18 OFFLINE   BoisePaul

BoisePaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

are we sure the data is stored in mpeg2 format currently?

I'd say that we're not sure, but it's a pretty safe bet. I doubt that it would be stored in anything other than the format in which it is transmitted, with the exception that some form of encryption might be applied. I honestly can't imagine that E* would go to the expense of building a real-time encoder into a DVR when it's so much easier to record the native stream. For the same reasons, I'd think that anything transmitted in MPEG4 would be recorded as MPEG4 - why decode the stream and re-encode it?

#19 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:16 PM

which brings up the good question of is mpeg4 programming recorded or packaged in mpeg4 format before transmission, or is it just mpeg2 encapsuled in mpeg4 to get better compression then transmitted and unwrapped back to mpeg2 on the HD? I have to admit, it actually makes sense if this is how it will be for a time, as I'm not sure what differences to the studio doing the recording in mpeg2 versus 4 is. Is it simply how you save the file, or will there be equipment differences like a newer camera involved or such ?
Regards,

RogueOne

#20 OFFLINE   BoisePaul

BoisePaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

I'm not a digital video expert, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong here... I don't believe that there is any way to "encapsulate" MPEG2 within MPEG4; they are two different compression schemes. Any transcoding process that I've seen has first decoded the MPEG2 to raw uncompressed video and then reencoded it as MPEG4. On the same note, I don't know of any way to convert MPEG4 to MPEG2 without uncompressing the video and recompressing.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...