Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free 2nd R15

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:21 AM

Hello,

Is there a way to get a 2nd R15 for free. I already used the $100 mail in rebate when I got the first one. I actually also got the $200 mail in rebate for my H20.

The rebate states Limite one $100 rebate and one $200 rebate for a total of $300 per account.

I was wondering if there are any other ways to get a Free R15. I know Directv is giving away refurbished Tivo units, but I prefer the R15.

Perhaps I should simply get it from Directv. Pay the 100 bucks and get the free installation.

Victor
-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:19 AM

Hello,

Perhaps I should simply get it from Directv. Pay the 100 bucks and get the free installation.

Victor

That's probably the only way you will get it, but they might also charge you installation. Depends on a variety of factors, so you should probably call them and ask them.

I've got 2 R15's and 1 R10, and I only got 1 rebate. And I did most of the install myself.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

That's probably the only way you will get it, but they might also charge you installation. Depends on a variety of factors, so you should probably call them and ask them.

I've got 2 R15's and 1 R10, and I only got 1 rebate. And I did most of the install myself.

Carl

Here's one idea... DirecTV is giving away totally free DTiVo series 2's right now. No rebate, no commitment, no strings attached. It will have to be delivered by an installer, so there are two possibilities: Your installer could be out, not know you're supposed to be getting a refurb DTiVo, and bring you an R15... (Not likely, because the offer is specifically for a refurb 40 GB DTiVo (and it specifically says "with TiVo technology").

OR

You could just get the DTiVo and sell it on EBay eventually, and at least be part of the way to buying another R15. being 40-gig, the general concensus is that these can't be R10s, and thus can be hacked. So, they'll still fetch a premium for some time to come. Especially if you can hack it and sell it as a pre-hacked unit. (Looked down upon, I know...but you have to be enterprising.)

Or, just keep the free DTiVo. ?

Ricky

#4 OFFLINE   staci

staci

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:23 PM

Design Dawg

I saw you mentioned that DTV was giving away 40gb refurb tivos. Can I ask where this offer was posted, I would be very interested.

Thanks

S

#5 OFFLINE   Malibu13

Malibu13

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

staci, Welcome to DBSTalk. ;) You can find discussion on this topic in this thread in our DirecTV General Discussion Forum: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=51630

#6 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:38 PM

The newer drive on my series 1 went out (I had added a 120GB) so I bought Instant Cake for $20 and a new 120GB for $59 and I'm back up and running 127hrs. It was a pain as I thought it was the original drive but the 40GB was OK. I decided just to go with the one drive for "overheating" reasons. It is nice having to DVR's though.
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300
(Gathering dust in a closet)

spam firewall