Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Different dish needed for hdtv?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rick390

rick390

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

I have a 3-lnb directv dish at present. When I finally get an hdtv will I need to get a different dish to receive hdtv or will my current one work?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:49 PM

You posted on Dish Network Thread. You should have post moved to DirectTV.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:03 PM

So moved.

#4 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:59 PM

Your current dish can receive all of the national DTV HD Feeds. They come off the 119 SAT. If you ever get HD locals in Shady Cove you would then need the new 5LNB dish. But for now, your dish will provide you everything HD that DTV offers. (As lacking as that may be).

#5 OFFLINE   mssturgeon

mssturgeon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

Your current dish can receive all of the national DTV HD Feeds. They come off the 119 SAT. If you ever get HD locals in Shady Cove you would then need the new 5LNB dish. But for now, your dish will provide you everything HD that DTV offers. (As lacking as that may be).

DTV will begin to turn off the national HD feeds beginning this summer with the west coast feeds. They will be moving them to the new satellites (not sure which, specifically) so you will need to upgrade to the 5 LNB dish and MPEG-4 receiver equipment in order to continue to receive them.

I have not heard anything about them moving their other HD networks from their current satellite, so those will likely stay where they are for another year or two until the remainder of the new satellites are in place.

- Shane
Publisher, HDTV Magazine
Your Guide to High Definition Television

#6 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

DTV will begin to turn off the national HD feeds beginning this summer with the west coast feeds. They will be moving them to the new satellites (not sure which, specifically) so you will need to upgrade to the 5 LNB dish and MPEG-4 receiver equipment in order to continue to receive them.

I have not heard anything about them moving their other HD networks from their current satellite, so those will likely stay where they are for another year or two until the remainder of the new satellites are in place.

- Shane

I take it you're referring to ABC, CBS, FOX & NBC, correct?

So DTV is planning on upgrading all of folks that receive east/west coast HD feeds under waivers to the MPEG4 system before this summer? That seems like a lofty goal given the fact many of these customers are literally in the middle of no where.

#7 OFFLINE   mssturgeon

mssturgeon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:14 AM

So DTV is planning on upgrading all of folks that receive east/west coast HD feeds under waivers to the MPEG4 system before this summer? That seems like a lofty goal given the fact many of these customers are literally in the middle of no where.

That is what I have heard from the DirecTV PR folks.

- Shane
Publisher, HDTV Magazine

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:09 PM

I'll bet they will work hard to make sure everyone's waivers are current and follow the current guidelines. None of this "moving" crap, and none of this "well I have them right or wrong, so you cant take them away from now that I got them" crap either...If you have them, but live in an area that isnt supposed to get them because you could get OTA, then tough...Hopefully they will be ruthless like E* and their audit team...only way to get things back into compliance witht eh FCC...

#9 OFFLINE   digibob

digibob

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

They better have a HD DVR ready to record mpeg 4 by the time they shut of the mpeg 2 national network feeds. If not, there will be an uproar not being able to record networks.:nono2:

#10 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:10 PM

They better have a HD DVR ready to record mpeg 4 by the time they shut of the mpeg 2 national network feeds. If not, there will be an uproar not being able to record networks.:nono2:

With the amount of resources it's taking to roll out the local HDs in MPEG4 to new DMAs I would think it's not likely DTV would also choose to replace dishes and HD receivers and DVRs for all the customers with waivers in the middle of no where all before summer.

I'm not sure how many customers this involves but I'm guessing a few. Plus this is the type of upgrade that will involve an untrained installer in Idaho with a list of 5 upgrades in his area.

I would hope DTV continues the national HD feeds under MPEG-2 until for a little longer, although this doesn't effect me. I get OTA fine and will pass on the upgrade at this point.

#11 OFFLINE   mssturgeon

mssturgeon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:41 AM

With the amount of resources it's taking to roll out the local HDs in MPEG4 to new DMAs I would think it's not likely DTV would also choose to replace dishes and HD receivers and DVRs for all the customers with waivers in the middle of no where all before summer.

I'm not sure how many customers this involves but I'm guessing a few. Plus this is the type of upgrade that will involve an untrained installer in Idaho with a list of 5 upgrades in his area.

I would hope DTV continues the national HD feeds under MPEG-2 until for a little longer, although this doesn't effect me. I get OTA fine and will pass on the upgrade at this point.

It's not just waivers, but all those that are in O&O areas also, for those networks that work that way. But keep in mind, it's not ALL customers receiving locals via satellite, only those that receive HD locals via satellite. The SD locals will remain in operation. So given that their entire HD subscriber base is only about 800,000 ... there are probably not a huge number that will have to be replaced in remote areas (just a guess on my part, of course).

But everything I've read/heard from DirecTV indicates that they will indeed swap out equipment at no charge for the affected customers. Those wanting to upgrade prior to that will pay $99. New customers will pay $200 (with rebates, of course). Those numbers are for the new H20 (HD DVR).

Hope that helps,

- Shane
Publisher, HDTV Magazine

spam firewall