Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

[New Install] 2 sets of equipment sent??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:38 PM

Okay, we got DirecTV through someone on the internet. We ordered a 4 x R15 setup (yes, 4 R15 DirecTVPlus Recievers). Anyways, 2 weeks ago, the installer comes out, installs everything and we're happy.

Last week, we got a box from "Perfect 10" with our names on it. Open it up and it's another dish, multiswitch and 4 more DirecTV Plus Recievers. So I let it sit a couple days figuring someone will call me. Today the wife asked what we're gunna do about it so I call the people we ordered it from on the internet, they said, they didn't send it and don't know anything about the second set. I called DirecTV and get the same story, they don't know anything about the second set of equipment.

I know I didn't order twice and my wife wouldn't order anything (she let's me do all the technical stuff, she just wants to turn on the tv and see it play.) And no odd charges have shown up on my credit card.

I feel bad for keeping them, but nobody has called, nobody has written and nobody seems to know what's going on?

Does anyone know if I can just keep the 4 extra recievers? I know they'll get activated, we'll use a couple of them and a buddy will take the other two - so it's not like they'll goto waste. I know some recievers you have to activate in X number of days or they block the cards or something like that - some type of fee for not activating a reciever or somethiing.

DirecTV said there would be no technical difficulties to activate them for me and they noted my account that I called (although, I should call back in and make sure they actually put the note on my account.)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,169 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

My guess is sooner or later someone is going to track that equipment down and want it back. I would call the folks you ordered from again and write down the date, time, and name of the person you speak with.
-
Then I'd put the package away someplace and wait. Sooner or later someone is going to figure out what happened and ask for it back. Then you can respond with yes, I have it, and here is who I spoke with on such and such a date who swore you never sent it to me. How will you arrange for return shipping at no cost to me?
-
Carl

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:53 PM

A local phone number for Perfect 10 is 501-955-0033 maybe you can get information out of them?

#4 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:36 PM

There are certain FTC rules regarding the delivery of items not ordered. I don't remember the specifics. But bottom line IIRC is that if you receive items you never ordered you can keep them. You ordered this through a vendor and you received your DTV equipment and it was installed. You then received equipment you didn't order.

You mention "Perfect 10". If you want to be totally safe, contact the carrier that delivered it and ask for the shipping source. If you want to contact them, go ahead. Otherwise, "throw it away". Hint Hint.

You are under no obligation to store someone's inventory that was shipped to you in error. You have made a full honest attempt at contacting the parties that may be involved. After that, "throw it away".....again hint hint.

#5 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

I called Perfect 10 finally by tracking down their phone number via the internet. We talked about it and they said as long as I activate the recievers, I wouldn't be billed for them and could keep them (or in my case keep 2 and deactivate a couple of them a couple days later and give them to friends.). I also wrote down the name of the supervisor I spoke with and the time/date of the call. Apparently, the first installer was working for a company that went out of buisness a day before he came out (not sure why he still came out even.) so Perfect 10 sent a second set to us for a new installer to install.

In all, Perfect 10 was pretty reasonable about the whole thing, although they at first wanted the recievers back and for me to ship them to them on my dime. I clearly informed them that they need to arrange for someone to pick them up and I'm not home during the day for UPS to meet so they would need to stay on the poarch the whole day until UPS picks them up and that they would be liable if the recievers were stolen. (they didn't like that at all!) After that, I asked how much they would bill me for if I kept them, they said, if I activated them, they wouldn't bill me at all - so I said that's what I'll do. They told me if I didn't activate them and kept them, they would bill me something like $250 / reciever.

#6 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:31 PM

Sounds like an early Christmas (or late one?) for you. I'm sure they are correct about activating them or you will be charged. If they have a record, or have filed paperwork showing, that you are now the "owner" of those receivers, the 30 day activation window could come back to you.

Enjoy!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...