Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My local RSN blackouts

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   byron

byron

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:11 PM

FSN pittsburgh is my local RSN... yesterday there was an A-10 bball game on FSN pittsburgh and i got a 727 (game not available)... but i flipped over to NESN (not my RSN) and it was on... today.. the UMass v. La Salle game was on FSN pittsburgh (my local RSN) but it was 727 again.... and I couldn't watch it on any other RSN or the ESPN full court channel. What gives? FSNPitt is my local RSN.... they shouldn't be blacking out ANYTHING on my local RSN!?!? right? I've never seen this happen before. I called D* and spent an hour on the phone with them (including a manager) and he kept placing the blame on FSN pittsburgh for blacking it out.... why would FSN pittsburgh buy the rights to a game, only to black out the viewing audience they serve... that makes no sense whatsoever. I'm sick of shelling out $150+ /month to D* for service and getting lame *** answers to problems that are obviously not right.... it's like they just don't want to fix the problem.

Anyone have any ideas on whats going on? Anyone else have similar problems with A10 games on their RSN?

FYI... I'm a TC Premier sub... so sports pack is including (thus the reason I was able to watch the game Sat on NESN)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

Just because FSN Pittsburg is your local RSN, it doesn't mean that you have access to every game on it. Unless you live in the home market of the RSN (the Pittsburg market) or a bordering county, some things will likely be blacked out unless you have coverage by that specific team. I'm not sure about the specific A10 league, but some leagues only let the specific market where the RSN is home to see the game, but not to neighboring markets that have access to the RSN. For some leagues they make it state specific, as in only Pennsylvania can see the games but not neighboring states, like WV where you live. I'll go check the Fox Cable affiliate site to see if they mention blackout restrictions.

#3 OFFLINE   byron

byron

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:53 PM

im in the pittsburgh DMA... all of my local channels (cbs, upn, fox, abc, etc...) are all out of pittsburgh. i just can't imagine that FSNs advertisers would be happy to know that legit viewers are being blacked out of their advertising. i just can't see any reason why FSN pittsburgh would knowingly block me from seeing the content.. it's not like they are loosing anything by showing it to me.... actually, they are gaining... thats more eyeballs, and more eyeballs mean more advertising dollars.

and btw.... my neighbor has digital cable and neither of those games were blacked out for him. I pointed that out to the D* supervisor and he said that RSNs have different blackout rules for sat providers and cable companies..... personally, I think he's full of BS.. i've never heard of anything like that.

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

Take it up with FSN then, since I've been having the same problem with the Nets and D* for years as well and they gave me the same BS Answer.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...