Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Now I want HD but I need your help!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   larrym

larrym

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:15 AM

I am a curent Directv customer and wish to upgrade to HD. I thought of just buying the HD DVR with Tivo and be a happy camper. But now I hear about this H20 and 5LNB Dish stuff I may need. I have the 3-lnb oval and I thought that is all I need. Why do I need H20? Why do I need a new big ugly dish with 5 lnb's? would I be wasting my money by purchasing the HR-10-250? If it does not have H20 would it be obsolete? I know if I call directv the customer service people would not have a clue... Please help...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   stupid0g

stupid0g

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

it will be obselete within the next 2yrs. main thing is the conversion to mpeg-4 for lcl and national hd broadcast. certain areas alrdy have lcls in mpeg-4 format.

Choice is really yours, myself, i'd just purchase the h20 right now or wait til the hr20-250 comes out later this year.

Paul
The guy you hate to talk to at D*

#3 OFFLINE   chewey

chewey

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:35 AM

I am a curent Directv customer and wish to upgrade to HD. I thought of just buying the HD DVR with Tivo and be a happy camper. But now I hear about this H20 and 5LNB Dish stuff I may need. I have the 3-lnb oval and I thought that is all I need. Why do I need H20? Why do I need a new big ugly dish with 5 lnb's? would I be wasting my money by purchasing the HR-10-250? If it does not have H20 would it be obsolete? I know if I call directv the customer service people would not have a clue... Please help...

Have you thought of switching to Dish? Starting Feb 1 they will be rolling out new Mpeg4 channels, a ton more hd than Direct, HD local will roll out soon, plus you could get a much better deal on an HD DVR.

PM me if you are going to switch because I would appreciate if you use my reference number so that I get a little credit from Dish.

#4 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:06 AM

DirecTV is making a major commitment in their infrastructure. They have two new high capacity Spaceway satellites in orbit now and will add more in about a year. For now, they are concentrating on providing locals. But, when it's all working, they will have much more capacity than Dish.

So, resist joining the 'I want MEGPEG-4 and I want it now' gang and wait a bit until they resolve the technical issues with the new systems, train competent installers, educate their CSRs and hopefully tone down their arrogance before you make your commitment.

That's my analysis.

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#5 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:01 PM

HDtivo will be good and work (able to see every channel it does today) until every single mpeg 2 receiver is switched out by directv and they turn off mpeg2. Think about how long that will take. Some posters think this will happen in a year or so. If it does, then you can look up this post in the archives and call me wrong. But I don't think even in 3 full years they can switch out every DTV box and turn off mpeg2.

Also even when they do shut it off, you can still pay the tivo fee and get an OTA recorder if you need one. You may for conflicts and such. The new dish will still beam the guide data down for OTA i'm told.

One thing though. If you cannot get OTA signals reliably and you can't get waivers for the national feeds (as long as they remain in mpeg2 of course), then i'd say dont get the HDtivo. there's only their limited HD package plus hbo/sho in HD now. Oh and cdnow if you care.

#6 OFFLINE   mssturgeon

mssturgeon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:33 AM

HDtivo will be good and work (able to see every channel it does today) until every single mpeg 2 receiver is switched out by directv and they turn off mpeg2. Think about how long that will take. Some posters think this will happen in a year or so. If it does, then you can look up this post in the archives and call me wrong. But I don't think even in 3 full years they can switch out every DTV box and turn off mpeg2.

Also even when they do shut it off, you can still pay the tivo fee and get an OTA recorder if you need one. You may for conflicts and such. The new dish will still beam the guide data down for OTA i'm told.

One thing though. If you cannot get OTA signals reliably and you can't get waivers for the national feeds (as long as they remain in mpeg2 of course), then i'd say dont get the HDtivo. there's only their limited HD package plus hbo/sho in HD now. Oh and cdnow if you care.

It may happen sooner than you think. DirecTV is already planning on turning off the west coast MPEG-2 HD feeds by the end of summer. So if you are receiving those 4 HD channels either via waivers, or through an O&O relationship ... you will be affected sooner than most. And their schedule for turning off the east coast feeds is "early-2007". I have not heard anything concrete yet, but I would guess they will move their existing HD channels to the new satellites shortly after that. And they may also go the same way as Dish and start adding all new HD networks in MPEG-4, meaning only those with the new equipment will be able to receive them. As far as their SD channels go, you're probably right ... it will be several years.

Another thing to keep in mind is that DirecTV's agreement with TiVo only runs through February of 2007. So if you go TiVo now with DirecTV, it may be unusable come next January unless DirecTV renews their agreement with TiVo.

I have read that DirecTV will upgrade existing customers for free as those signals are turned off. Anyone wishing to do so earlier than that time can upgrade their existing (HR10-250) units for $99. New customers will pay $200 for the new H20 (with rebates, of course).

Hope that helps,

- Shane
Publisher, HDTV Magazine
Your Guide to High Definition Television

#7 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:01 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is that DirecTV's agreement with TiVo only runs through February of 2007. So if you go TiVo now with DirecTV, it may be unusable come next January unless DirecTV renews their agreement with TiVo.

I really doubt tivos will become unusable after feb 2007. No one on the tivo board seems too concerned about it and they usually know what's going on.

#8 OFFLINE   mssturgeon

mssturgeon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:17 AM

I really doubt tivos will become unusable after feb 2007. No one on the tivo board seems too concerned about it and they usually know what's going on.

Not TiVo's in general, but TiVo's through DirecTV, yes. If DirecTV does not renew their agreement with TiVo, you will no longer be able to get service for the HR10-250 (as I understand it). I don't own one personally, so I do not know if it can also record OTA. If that is the case, it may still be of minimal value.

- Shane
Publisher, HDTV Magazine
Your Guide to High Definition Television

#9 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:11 AM

mark post for followup and check back in a year :) then we will find out if it's a rate increase or a swapout. Has to be one of them.

#10 OFFLINE   pudge44

pudge44

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:46 PM

The only thing Directv needs to do to continue to "support" D-Tivo units is to continue to supply guide data. Doesn't make much sense to shut that off and alienate 10s of thousands of customers who have paid for equipment. My guess is D-Tivo units will continue to work for a long, long time.

#11 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

DirecTV is not going to discontinue support for the Tivo in Jan. 2007. There are just too many customers that will still have DTivo boxes either because they haven't yet bothered to upgrade or like me just don't want to upgrade. I think getting the new box is more like a downgrade. I mean I'm sure they will improve the box as they work out the bugs but Tivo is the best service out there without a doubt and DTV is not going to top them on their first generation box.

Also I also don't think that DTV will shut off its west coast HD locals by this summer. They only recently started offering the HD locals and its gonna take longer than 6 months to upgrade everyone. It just makes no sense for them to do that. Its a sure way to piss off a lot of customers. I think they are gonna give people more time to upgrade and I'm sure they have enough space to keep those channels going for a while longer. There is also no way that mpeg 2 will go off the air anytime soon, I mean probably not till 2010. Consider how many customers they have and how long it would take to move everyone over.

I think the HD Tivo is not a bad deal for some people right now. As others mentioned, if you can get the HD locals thru an antenna then I think I would even prefer the HD Tivo. The new HD DVR that comes out later this year is just going to be an HD version of the new standard def DVR that seems to be having a lot of problems. I would rather have the DirecTivo HD box instead the new HD DVR which is likely to have some bugs that will have to be worked out.

spam firewall