Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Screen Saver kicks in while recording

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:31 AM

I have a 211VIP. Under Preferences, I disabled the inactivity timer, then started to record a program to TIVO. When I checked later, the receiver went into inactivity mode with the screen saver saying to press select to continue. Half of my recording had the stupid screen saver

Is there anyway to disable this screen saver?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jerryez

jerryez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:08 PM

I disabled mine too, but I does not work. My 211 get the same stupid "select to Continue" notice. Come Dish FIX this. I did set the timer to the max of 8 hours, this helps.
jerry

#3 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:38 PM

When I called dish tech support they told me to write an email describing the problem which I thought was a little lame. I did it though, but so far haven't had a response

#4 OFFLINE   kevthornberry

kevthornberry

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:09 AM

Approximately what time of day did your box show the screensaver?

#5 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:48 PM

Approximately what time of day did your box show the screensaver?

I will need to try it again

#6 OFFLINE   kevthornberry

kevthornberry

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Also, are you absolutely sure your box went into standby due to inactivity and not for a scheduled nightly update (ie can you confirm seeing the message "The receiver is about to be turned off due to inactivity..." prior to the box going into standby)? I do not mean to sound patronising, I would just like to confirm that is definitely what we are seeing here.

Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:11 PM

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Also, are you absolutely sure your box went into standby due to inactivity and not for a scheduled nightly update (ie can you confirm seeing the message "The receiver is about to be turned off due to inactivity..." prior to the box going into standby)? I do not mean to sound patronising, I would just like to confirm that is definitely what we are seeing here.

Thanks

The recording was started in the afternoon, and the scheduled update is set to
3am

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,270 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:52 PM

Have you tried setting a timer event (auto tune) for the content you wish to record?

#9 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:42 PM

Have you tried setting a timer event (auto tune) for the content you wish to record?

What I did was start recording a show in the afternoon, went out for the day, came back, and half the recording was the screen saver

Thanks for the suggestion

#10 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:00 AM

just received this from dish technical support:
"

Thank you for your e-mail. I apologize that it took so long to respond. We’ve received an unexpected amount of e-mails this month. Our normal response time is 24-48 hours.

The receiver automatically goes into standby mode after 3-4 hours of inactivity (this is when the screen saver or floating DISH logo appears). At this time, there is no way to disable this feature. However, there is a work-around if you have set your VCR (or other recording device) to record during this time. You can setup an “auto tune” timer on the receiver. This tells the receiver it is in use and will “wake” the receiver up if it has gone into standby.

We are always looking for ways to improve our service, and we appreciate your input. We will forward your comments and concerns to the proper department; however, we can not promise this will be implemented. Thank you again for choosing Dish Network and please feel free to contact us again with any future concerns.

"

#11 OFFLINE   Phil Monty

Phil Monty

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:46 AM

just received this from dish technical support:
"

Thank you for your e-mail. I apologize that it took so long to respond. We’ve received an unexpected amount of e-mails this month. Our normal response time is 24-48 hours.

The receiver automatically goes into standby mode after 3-4 hours of inactivity (this is when the screen saver or floating DISH logo appears). At this time, there is no way to disable this feature. However, there is a work-around if you have set your VCR (or other recording device) to record during this time. You can setup an “auto tune” timer on the receiver. This tells the receiver it is in use and will “wake” the receiver up if it has gone into standby.

We are always looking for ways to improve our service, and we appreciate your input. We will forward your comments and concerns to the proper department; however, we can not promise this will be implemented. Thank you again for choosing Dish Network and please feel free to contact us again with any future concerns.

"

Another problem I found is that the receiver will automatically kick off at 3am unless you tell it not to. I found this out the last few nights feeding my baby at that time. Thank God I haven't been recording anything at that time. In any event, a box will appear on the screen telling you that it is shutting down unless you tell it not to.

Phil

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,270 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:14 PM

You can move or disable the 3am shutdown. I have mine set for 7am.

#13 OFFLINE   kevthornberry

kevthornberry

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:45 PM

I still need to establish if this is an isolated case or if other people are experiencing similar problems. Have you encountered this before James? I am running L261 and as far as I can make out the inactivity standby on my box can be disabled successfully.

#14 OFFLINE   LUNASDUDE

LUNASDUDE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:17 PM

Ok a variation on the question if I set my DVD recorder to change the channel will that "wake up" the receiver or will I have to set an auto tune?

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,270 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:23 PM

Use an auto tune. When the box is asleep you need to press select to wake it up. Unless you can program your DVD recorder to send select before the channel change.

Mine is set to do the EPG update at 7am so it goes to sleep every morning until I wake it up. I'll have to test and see if it stays awake.

#16 OFFLINE   jerryez

jerryez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

That is why I have a TiVo to record without setting timer events. All we are asking is for the Damn 211 receiver to work as it is susposed tooo!
jerry

#17 OFFLINE   jerryez

jerryez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:32 PM

I still need to establish if this is an isolated case or if other people are experiencing similar problems. Have you encountered this before James? I am running L261 and as far as I can make out the inactivity standby on my box can be disabled successfully.

The first three people in this thread are having the same problem. How many have to have the problem for it not to be isolated.
jerry

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,270 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:37 PM

It is working exactly as it is supposed to. I tested mine the other day and the inactivity time out can be disabled (I turned it on and left it for 10 hours with no screen saver interruption). The 3am EPG update can be moved if that interrupts an overnight recording (important to keep your guide intact).

The auto-tune feature was put there just for people who wanted no interruptions during a specific program. That's the way the receiver is designed.

#19 OFFLINE   jerryez

jerryez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

Your's may be working, but mine isn't whether you believe me or not. Also, there are many other posters who's doesn't work. Mine is set to disabled and the screen saver comes on every night while I am asleep and every day while I am at work.
James, are you calling me a liar.
jerry

#20 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

Your's may be working, but mine isn't whether you believe me or not. Also, there are many other posters who's doesn't work. Mine is set to disabled and the screen saver comes on every night while I am asleep and every day while I am at work.
James, are you calling me a liar.

I will second that. Mine does NOT work either

Protected By... spam firewall...And...