Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Monopoles required?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:00 PM

Ordered an H20, D11, R10, and Phase III for new install....was sent an AT9 instead, told that Cleveland HD locals in MPEG4 will be lit up in the next few months so it makes sense. About a week later installer shows up and sees the AT9 and says they cant install it cos they havent seen one yet and more importantly have not been trained on the install...but we will get trained over teh next few days and be back out on Monday at the latest....Installer called about a half hour b4 their time slot and said cant come out today because they need the monopoles, and it will be a few days to get them. Our response was, cant you install the DISH today and I'll order and install the monopoles in a day or two myself? Installer says no can do....if D* inspects this install we wont get paid.

Now this is going to be a chimney mount, are teh monopoles required for a chimney mount using lag screw/anchor bolts/etc....? Installer says monopoles are required for all except the cemented pole in the ground mount, we wont install an AT9 without monopoles...The install manual included with AT9 clearly shows 2 uses of the AT9 with a single and a double monopole, and it clearly shows 2 installs without, a chimney mount and the pole in ground. Its written all over that manual that monopoles are recommended for all Ka/Ku installs, but not required...

So now the monopoles are here, overnighted, and the original installer is in the wind, wont return calls to reschedule the install...

I'm afraid, there are very few installers in NE Ohio that are ready and trained on AT9 installs, since the MPEG4 locals are some indeterminate time in the future, but should be soon based on Cleveland's DMA ranking....

What are my options?

On a side note, if all installers are going to take the same approach of requiring the monopoles, dont they need to be included with the dish, or at least a mandatory option on every AT9 dish order?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:58 PM

My AT9 dish wasn't installed with the Monopoles....

However, after a windy weekend... I am thinking of calling them back up and demanding they be installed.

The dish didn't go out of allignment, but it was "dancing in the wind pretty good".

So... it must not be "mandatory" as they told me they haven't been installing them, unless they where on a mounting point that couldn't support 3 or 4 lag bolts for the base mount.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:48 PM

I did a "self install" on my AT9, and I am in no way a D* installer. I did not use monopoles and we have had some extremely windy days the last couple of weeks and I have had no problems. When I did the install I did make sure I tightened all of the bolts at tight as I could get them.
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#4 OFFLINE   rick31621

rick31621

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

Can anyone lead me to some pictures regarding the proper mounting of a monopole? My AT9 is mounted to the roof and I want to mount 1 monopole for extra support on windy days.

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

CHeck the sticky about the detroit 5LNB install, it has photos of a roof install with a monopole.....to add...After another phone call to DSI, we have a new installer due out tomorrow that is already supposed to be up to speed on AT9 install in my area....thanks for all the replies...I'm beginning to think my 1st installer wasnt up to speed yet so used the monopoles as an excuse not to come out and do the install, but I could be completely wrong too....

;)

#6 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

Best use of a single monopole on a roof mount is at 45deg angle off the front side of the dish. This will provide support of the heavy dish and counter side to side forces on the mounting foot, which is weaker in this direction.
Claus

#7 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:53 AM

On a side note, if all installers are going to take the same approach of requiring the monopoles, dont they need to be included with the dish, or at least a mandatory option on every AT9 dish order?

As I have mentioned on other threads on this subject, my installer used two of the monopoles on my AT9 chiminey mount without having to be asked so I would definitely bring up the subject if it appears that they are not going to be included in any installation, although I don't know how that would work out if you purchased the dish from a third party.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:47 PM

Just a follow up....

DSI sent two guys up from the southern Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia region...like a 4+ hour drive for these guys...

Kevin and a regional manager or supervisor named Brian...these guys did a great job, I just feel bad that they had to drive all the way from down south...

Anyone in the southern Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia that wants a good install team call and ask for these guys...they can be reached from my understanding through Signal Finder....

The funny thing is they mounted the mast, and werent even going to use the monopoles I ordered, said it was completely unecessary for this chimney mount, but he put them up anyway, since I'd already spent the $30+shipping on them...

I'll post a few pics tomorrow if the weather cooperates here....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...