Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Some DishHD questions on the 622 from a DirecTV user

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chew1138

chew1138

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:17 AM

I'm getting to the point where I'm about ready to chuck my HD DirecTiVo out the window. The latest problem occured last night: it mysteriously recorded 64 minutes of Supernatural and thereby caused The Shield to start 4 minutes late. Why this occurs when you can record with 2 tuners is beyond me.

So, I'm looking at the new 622 DVR from Dish. I'm a dish n00b, so I beg your forgiveness for stupid questions. I've been searching around, but can't really find answers to these detailed questions.

How does the DishPass work? And does it work well? I love my TiVo Season Pass with the ability to record only new programs. I believe DishPass has the "new only" option as well?

Is it true you can record on all three tuners while watching a fourth recorded program?

Why only one OTA tuner? Most of what I watch comes from my antenna and only having one OTA tuner is a big negative. I can get CBS HD on the Dish as my affiliate is O&O by CBS. Do the WB/UPN distant channels come in HD over the satellite?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   chew1138

chew1138

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:00 AM

Alright, I read the review of the 942 at cnet and have my number of tuners question answered.

If anybody could just talk about the DishPass, that would be great. :)

#3 OFFLINE   Tom-Tx

Tom-Tx

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:20 AM

To my understanding DishPass will search all subscribed channels for the program you searched for. BTW I never actually used this feature. What I use is the standard guide and have it record "new" programs found on a specific channel (e.g. new episodes of Lost on channel 8). Once in a while I will record "all" programs (e.g. all Seconds to Disaster on Discovery).

#4 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:41 AM

Dishpass should work similar to tivo. it doens't have a "season pass" as that is tivo's hook line, but as Tom mentioned, he does ask it to record just the new episodes on channel whatever :)

My dad has a tivo and I like the flow of the dish pvr much better, but then i'm not used to tivo. and Dish's DVR comes with a 30 sec forward skip button, no crazy mutli key codes to get that working.

and on the tuners, yup, you can record 3 and watch 2 recorded programs if you are in dual mode :) and once locals in HD are working for you, won't be much need for 2 OTA tuners, which is likely why they didn't worry about it. doubtful it would be heavily used over the lifetime of the product. would have been nice though for now :)
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:17 PM

The 622 should behave similar to the 942 in terms of Named based recording

Here is some links to Marks review. It should give you an idea of that to expect with a 622

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=39891
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=39890
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=39889

I would expect that you can record on all three tuners while watching a 4th. just like the 942.

Why only one OTA. The 942 and 921 just had one OTA. It is a short coming of the receiver, but if you are in line for HD locals in your future one that can be solved.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...