Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How does an R15 Look on a 42" EDTV?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oliver 550

oliver 550

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:46 AM

I have an R15 that I have hooked up to a 27" TV and the picure using the coax is great. I am probably going to buy a 42" Plasma EDTV or HDTV and hook it up using the S Video connection (since this the best the R15 has to offer) and was wondering if anyone else has this setup? I do not wish to invest in the HD equipment and programming at this time but am concerned that using a S Video connection on a 42" display will be grainy. What does everyone here think?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:19 AM

I have an R15 that I have hooked up to a 27" TV and the picure using the coax is great. I am probably going to buy a 42" Plasma EDTV or HDTV and hook it up using the S Video connection (since this the best the R15 has to offer) and was wondering if anyone else has this setup? I do not wish to invest in the HD equipment and programming at this time but am concerned that using a S Video connection on a 42" display will be grainy. What does everyone here think?

Thanks

I've got it hooked up to a 50" and it looks great, and i'm using the RCA outputs (the S-video going to the pc capture card). It does lose a little quality having it widened to the 16:9 but not much. I've been watching with my R15 and before that the UTV and it's been fine.

#3 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:11 AM

I have mine hooked to a 50" Plasma HDTV from Philips. I use the S-video as you are planning to and the picture looks great (naturally it is not HD).

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:38 AM

Thanks

If you are using the coax cable on your tv as the only connection...trust me you're not that critical....

:D

The larger the screen, the worse the picture will look unless the tv has some circuitry built-in like scalers or line multipliers to try and compensate for taking a low res image and blowing it up really large....once you get above the 32-35 inch screen size range, it really shows the "faults" of the low bitrate mpeg-2 stream...especially when you see an HD signal on the same set....going from composite to s-video makes slight improvements, if you had component as a connection choice, a few select recievers did have them, there really isnt anything to gain.....

#5 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:27 PM

I just wanted to add that going from a small tube TV to a widescreen or even 42-60" unit makes watching shows different in a better sort of way. Even if the picture is a little less crisp, its still more fun to watch things on a larger unit.

#6 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:39 PM

I just wanted to add that going from a small tube TV to a widescreen or even 42-60" unit makes watching shows different in a better sort of way. Even if the picture is a little less crisp, its still more fun to watch things on a larger unit.

Not football. I can't even stand watching an SD game on my 47". You end up just seeing different colored blobs on the screen in front of a green (or in some cases brown) background. If it's not in HD, I don't watch it.

Regular TV and most other sports don't bother me, but football is horrible.

#7 OFFLINE   xfoneguy

xfoneguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:05 PM

I just bought the Panasonic 42" ED this past Sunday at Costco. I have my R-15 connected to it and I think it looks very good. Costco had the Panasonic set up between to other brands of HD's and with an HD signal connected to all of them, the Panasonic looked so much better than the others. So far, I am very happy with my purchase.

spam firewall