Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My 622 Ordeal!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fireman_mck

fireman_mck

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:00 AM

So, I woke up at 4:30AM eatern time and they told me that the system was not updated yet. Then I called at 7:30am as I was going to work and got the round robbin about adding a regular PVR for $49 and then a 211 for $49. The when I asked to speak to a supper I get disconected.

I just spent another hour and finally after moving to a second supervisor she finally agreed that I could lease a Vip 622 for $299.99.

Then she started telling me that I had to sign up for an HD package. The she told me that I would have to pay an additional $4.99 for having an HD receiver if I did not subscribe to an HD package (which I do not want to do yet) and then she told me that I would have to pay an additional $5.00 for leasing the receiver.

I am sorry but non of this info is in the discussions I have followed and it is not in their web site.

In the end I would have to pay as much as cable! And be locked to a 18 month commitement! I told her that they are running a very shaddy operation and told her that I do not want this receiver anymore. I will have to send Charlie a detailed email explaining my frustration and my separation from Dishnetwork. I will either go with Cable or DirectTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,300 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:21 AM

Actually the fees for not having HD programming have been widely discussed in our E* HD forum. One of the hottest issues of the past couple of weeks. Sorry you missed it.

:welcome_s fireman_mck

#3 OFFLINE   fireman_mck

fireman_mck

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:59 AM

James,

You seem very knowledgable about this offer. Can you tell me (if you have this info) what the deal is for a customer like me. I have been a Dish user since 2000 and currently have a Dish PVR 508. I pay $47.xx. This is for 120 package and PVR fee. What should I be charged?

$299.99 for Vip 622 (to replace existing 508, NOT ADD)
$47.xx for 120 package and PVR fee (same as today)
18 month commitement
Free Installation and free Dish 1000 if required (I currently have on Dish 500)

This is what I thought the deal was going to be. Now I hear that there are additional fees? Do you have a breakdown for my situation? No HD package (use OTA HD for now).

Thanks for the info as always. This is a great site.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,300 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:15 AM

There is an additional $6 fee for getting a 622 without a DishHD package. You may not be able to get a 622 without subscribing to DishHD.

"Same as today" has changed as of today. AT120 went up $2 this morning and the DVR fee is now $5.98 - $1 higher (if you have not factored that in).

The 622 will also be a lease ... so factor in $6 per month for that if you have not already (SD leases remain $5, HD leases are $6 as of this morning).

(And last but not least, if you don't connect a phone line there is the additional outlet fee ...)

#5 OFFLINE   chew1138

chew1138

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:21 AM

This is confusing. What would the total monthly charge on DishHD Bronze with locals, no phone line, and only a single HDTV be......???

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,300 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:32 AM

$66 or so ($49.99 Bronze + $5 locals + $6 lease + $5 no phone)
Plus taxes, of course.

#7 OFFLINE   dojoman

dojoman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:38 AM

So, I woke up at 4:30AM eatern time and they told me that the system was not updated yet. Then I called at 7:30am as I was going to work and got the round robbin about adding a regular PVR for $49 and then a 211 for $49. The when I asked to speak to a supper I get disconected.

I just spent another hour and finally after moving to a second supervisor she finally agreed that I could lease a Vip 622 for $299.99.

Then she started telling me that I had to sign up for an HD package. The she told me that I would have to pay an additional $4.99 for having an HD receiver if I did not subscribe to an HD package (which I do not want to do yet) and then she told me that I would have to pay an additional $5.00 for leasing the receiver.

I am sorry but non of this info is in the discussions I have followed and it is not in their web site.

In the end I would have to pay as much as cable! And be locked to a 18 month commitement! I told her that they are running a very shaddy operation and told her that I do not want this receiver anymore. I will have to send Charlie a detailed email explaining my frustration and my separation from Dishnetwork. I will either go with Cable or DirectTV.

I'm a little confused. How can you watch HD without HD package. Is this HD package what you're talking about include these channels (Discovery HD, HBO HD if you sub to HBO, HDNet, HDNet Movie) or is this another super expensive HD package that includes Voom channels?
Can someone alos confirm this....I have 811 and Non HD DVR 508. Some comments here I read says I cannot upgrade 508 without giving back 811 to E*. Is this true meaning only one HD receiver per household can be leased?

#8 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:40 AM

So the 622 is weighing in at $6 for a lease, $6 for being a DVR, $5 for being an additional receiver? $17/month with absolutely no programming whatsoever, and this assumes you have it connected to a phone line at all times or the rate goes up to $22/month?

It's like the $1000 (+ sales tax) screw job on the 921 all over again.

#9 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:47 AM

So the 622 is weighing in at $6 for a lease, $6 for being a DVR, $5 for being an additional receiver? $17/month with absolutely no programming whatsoever, and this assumes you have it connected to a phone line at all times or the rate goes up to $22/month?

I'm seriously starting to consider moving back to cable.

cable, at least where i am, charges simiilar fees. they charge $10 i think for dvr fee, and $5 for extra receiver fees, and their base package is $15 to 25 more to start with. So what's different?

Dish charges for the lease, rather than building the lease price into the price of the package you buy. cable builds the lease fee in. Don't think so? well, can you buy a cable box? no, you lease them from the cable company for "free", ie it's in the bill already. Satellite gives you the option to buy equipment or lease. The pricing is always based on if you bought, then there is a small fee, $5, for those who lease to cover the costs of services calls, replacement, etc. Very reasonable.

Both charge something for the 2nd/3rd/4th box in the house, both charge a fee for DVR service. Are you sure it's cheaper to go back to cable if you get all the same stuff? it's not from Comcast, not even close
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,300 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:27 AM

So the 622 is weighing in at $6 for a lease, $6 for being a DVR, $5 for being an additional receiver?

No additional reciever fee for leased boxes. E* charges you one or the other.

#11 OFFLINE   jakattak

jakattak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

James,

This isn't the story I got from Dish ordering this morning... here's my monthly breakdown as they told me (wrote it down and confirmed it with them)

$54.99 - DishHD Bronze
$4.99 - Locals
$5 - DVR
$6 - Lease
$6 - HD Fee (waived when subscribed to HD)
$5 - Extra Receiver/Tuner (addl. programing outlet fee, waived when connected to phone)

I'm hoping this is indeed wrong, as I wasn't told about all these fees (I expected a couple) or the other 'mystery' fees they charged me until AFTER they charged $299 to my cc for the 622 :(

#12 OFFLINE   IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

James,

You seem pretty knowledgeable about the pricing and fees and stuff. I'm a bit confused and hope you can help me figure out what an upgrade to the 622 will cost me. Currently, I own a 921. I'm thinking of getting the $99 upgrade come April. So what will my monthly cost be?

Current (Using 2/1 rates - I think)
AT120 plus locals - $44.99
HD Pack 9.99
DVR Fee 5.98
Total $60.96

After Upgrade
HD Silver $64.99
Lease Fee 6.00
DVR Fee 5.98
Total $76.97

Does this seem correct? That would be an extra $10 for HD (yes I realize I'm getting more programming) and $6 for the priviledge of leasing instead of owning. The only new HD programming that is compelling to me is ESPN2 and UHD. For me it's certainly not worth $99 plus an extra $16/mo.

Thanks

#13 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:04 PM

I was told the lease fee is $5.00 the VCR fee is $6.00 Was I lied to??
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#14 OFFLINE   dojoman

dojoman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:13 PM

James,

You seem pretty knowledgeable about the pricing and fees and stuff. I'm a bit confused and hope you can help me figure out what an upgrade to the 622 will cost me. Currently, I own a 921. I'm thinking of getting the $99 upgrade come April. So what will my monthly cost be?

Current (Using 2/1 rates - I think)
AT120 plus locals - $44.99
HD Pack 9.99
DVR Fee 5.98
Total $60.96

After Upgrade
HD Silver $64.99
Lease Fee 6.00
DVR Fee 5.98
Total $76.97

Does this seem correct? That would be an extra $10 for HD (yes I realize I'm getting more programming) and $6 for the priviledge of leasing instead of owning. The only new HD programming that is compelling to me is ESPN2 and UHD. For me it's certainly not worth $99 plus an extra $16/mo.

Thanks

I have pretty similar package as you are and I guess we are not force to switch to HD Silver package but keep AT120 with HD Pack. I don't know what new channels I will get with HD Silver but probably not willing to pay extra $10 for that...

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,338 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:18 PM

currently have a Dish PVR 508. I pay $47.xx. This is for 120 package and PVR fee. What should I be charged?

Up to today, the 508 has always been exempt from the PVR fee. You should not be charged this fee.

Since you didn't fully detail what makes up that $47 and change, it is difficult to tell where you are coming from. I'm assuming that you're currently subscribing to AT120 via the Digital Home Advantage program with locals. This would be consistent with the rate that you're paying. If you purchased the 508 outright, you might be subscribing to the Dish Protection Plan extended warranty but I think that would probably be a dollar more.

If all you want is a HDTV OTA tuner with DVR features, I would consider purchasing a cheap 921 or 942. You shouldn't have to pay the $6 no HD penalty for a purchased receiver. You will have to pay the DVR fee for any HD DVR.

If you aren't currently interested in HD, don't change anything.

#16 OFFLINE   IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:22 PM

I have pretty similar package as you are and I guess we are not force to switch to HD Silver package but keep AT120 with HD Pack. I don't know what new channels I will get with HD Silver but probably not willing to pay extra $10 for that...

It looks like the voom channels, a few new voom channels, ESPN2, Universal HD, and later Food Network and HGTV. The voom channels don't do much for me (that's why I don't have them now). I do watch the Food Network, but can't see that HD will really make a huge difference. In my opinion, $60/mo is a lot for TV. Now they want $75?? I guess I'm just a cheap SOB:(

#17 OFFLINE   dojoman

dojoman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:29 PM

Up to today, the 508 has always been exempt from the PVR fee. You should not be charged this fee.

Since you didn't fully detail what makes up that $47 and change, it is difficult to tell where you are coming from. I'm assuming that you're currently subscribing to AT120 via the Digital Home Advantage program with locals. This would be consistent with the rate that you're paying. If you purchased the 508 outright, you might be subscribing to the Dish Protection Plan extended warranty but I think that would probably be a dollar more.

If all you want is a HDTV OTA tuner with DVR features, I would consider purchasing a cheap 921 or 942. You shouldn't have to pay the $6 no HD penalty for a purchased receiver. You will have to pay the DVR fee for any HD DVR.

If you aren't currently interested in HD, don't change anything.

"cheap 942" Where can I buy it? I'm with cheap SOB. I have AT120 + HD Pak and not willing to switch over to the new HD Package. But I do really want HD DVR capabilty, 622 seems like a really good receiver but why should I buy the new HD package. Can someone sell me their 942?

#18 OFFLINE   Manke

Manke

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:36 PM

The dish site shows:

Estimated Monthly Charges
DishHD Silver $59.99
Local Channels
$5.00

Extra Receiver Fee: $6.00
DVR Service Fee: $5.98
Monthly Total: $76.97

#19 OFFLINE   IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:50 PM

The dish site shows:

Estimated Monthly Charges
DishHD Silver $59.99
Local Channels
$5.00

Extra Receiver Fee: $6.00
DVR Service Fee: $5.98
Monthly Total: $76.97

Thanks. That matches my calculations. Again, I must just be a cheap SOB, but $77/mo for TV seems like a lot. My current bill is "only" $53, but I don't have a lease or extra receiver fee, and I'm getting some mysterious $5 credit for an HD promo. Not sure what it is, or how long it will last. So with the new price increases my bill will go up $24/mo if I "upgrade":mad: She who must be obeyed wouldn't like that very much.

#20 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:20 PM

There are higher prices for HD because of the cost of rolling out the technology, eventually this will change.

The biggest problem (as I see it) is the constant increases of the cost of the programming, if this does not change, then many will eventually be forced into lower programming levels to save $$ and lose channels they might have enjoyed, but can no longer afford..
Norm

spam firewall