Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My 622 Ordeal!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

HDMe, you couldn't be more wrong. My stepkids didn't understand how to use the DISH system all that well and they didn't understand what they were doing. I heard a "JT!!!!! HELP!!!" and I went in and my step daughter had been pushing all kinds of buttons in frustration. Apparently she'd gotten in the PPV section (as I often do) and you can't just click out using the number pad (STUPID DESIGN) and so she kept hitting "enter" and other things and accidentally activated a whole series of PPVs in a matter of a few seconds. I immediately called DISH to say she'd accidentally ordered these PPVs, (how many can you watch on one receiver at a time?) and asked if could we do anything about it. The funny thing was that she kept trying to get me to hook up to a telephone line rather than simply answer the question. Finally I realized that they were likely to just screw me and so, yeah, I just said "well, I'm not going to hook up the line".

From the CSR perspective, since the Dish system doesn't know what PPVs you have ordered if you order them via the receiver remote... there is no way she could answer your question or help or credit your account. If, as you describe, several PPVs were ordered in a span of a few minutes then it would be obvious to the CSR as soon as the receiver called in and reported them... and you probably would have been able to get a credit.

Not even being willing to connect a phone line probably implies to the CSR that you had something to hide. I'm sure they get a lot of "my kid ordered that and wasn't supposed to" explanations for people who don't want to pay for PPVs ordered. If you were staying in a hotel room, and the same kids played with the hotel remote and ordered a bunch of stuff you wouldn't have had the option of not being plugged in.

I was more or less responding to your decision to not hook up the receiver and let it get deactivated rather than fess up and connect it and negotiate honestly with Dish. There are lots of customers who do that and do watch the movies... and Dish can't tell one from the other since they aren't in your house.

These are ultimately reasons why they have these phone line fees and the audit police calling folks to double-check on things. We all get punished for the misdeeds of a few, even if we aren't doing anything wrong.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   John Ashman

John Ashman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:54 AM

Not even being willing to connect a phone line probably implies to the CSR that you had something to hide. I'm sure they get a lot of "my kid ordered that and wasn't supposed to" explanations for people who don't want to pay for PPVs ordered. If you were staying in a hotel room, and the same kids played with the hotel remote and ordered a bunch of stuff you wouldn't have had the option of not being plugged in.

Okay, but look, a good CSR would say "yes, of course, if things are as you describe, then clearly we would cancel the charge" and I'd have said "sure, let me run a cable over there". But she was clearly hedging. As though she expected a cheat. Rather than saying "hey, look, we have a problem with this, are you *sure* it was an accident". But no, she came off as someone trying to save Dish a whopping $10 or $20. In the end, I felt like she didn't earn my trust, so I reciprocated and moved on. Did I rip them off? No one will ever know with 100% certainty. But all I can say is that I sleep with a clean conscience.

#43 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:57 AM

sounds like a non issue to me. imagine if dish pulled that log and saw 5 ppv purchases in about a 30 second window. obviously someone was confused. then you bring into the equation that reciever is for the kids, no chance they don't drop it. plus they'd also see the shows were not watched
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#44 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:48 AM

Okay, but look, a good CSR would say "yes, of course, if things are as you describe, then clearly we would cancel the charge" and I'd have said "sure, let me run a cable over there". But she was clearly hedging. As though she expected a cheat. Rather than saying "hey, look, we have a problem with this, are you *sure* it was an accident". But no, she came off as someone trying to save Dish a whopping $10 or $20. In the end, I felt like she didn't earn my trust, so I reciprocated and moved on. Did I rip them off? No one will ever know with 100% certainty. But all I can say is that I sleep with a clean conscience.

But the CSR wasn't the one who had to earn your trust. You weren't connected to a phone line, and you wanted to prove you didn't really watch movies on the receiver, and you decided you'd rather not hook it up and deactivate it rather than give the CSR all the information to work with.

For all I know, you are 100% truthful and it would all have worked out.

What kind of message does that send to your kids? That if they do something accidentally, and it might be wrong, they should hide it and not tell anyone because if they don't get caught then they don't have to explain and they can avoid all risk of punishment by compounding a mistake with dishonesty?

I am not questioning that you are lying about what happened... just pointing out that the way you handled it makes it look like you are not being completely truthful.

IF *I* were in your situation, I'd have hooked up the phone line... pointed out that there's no way I could have watched 5 simultaneous PPVs in a half hour, and politely asked if the CSR could help me out. Keeping in mind that the old "ignorance is no excuse" holds true and Dish wouldn't have to credit you because they could say "don't let kids who aren't old enough to understand operate the equipment"... but I would hope they would appreciate my honesty and work with me.

IF I was completely honest, and they didn't work with me... then I would pay the PPV bill in full, and most likely I would look to switch as soon as possible to another service provider if it made me mad enough.

My only "beef" is that you tell a story of dishonesty, start a thread about "how to work around the $5 fee" and complain that it isn't just... only to admit that you're actually guilty of the kind of thing they have the phone line designed to guard against. It doesn't make you evil in any way, just kind of waters down your stance in complaining.

#45 OFFLINE   John Ashman

John Ashman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:00 AM

I guess you'd have had to been there. But, if the mission was to watch stolen PPVs, why on earth would I call them? In my panic, I simply didn't think that the unit couldn't communicate with them. If I were actively stealing PPVs, I'd never have bothered to call. But they were way too eager to get me to connect the line. It wasn't even like "hey, yes, that can happen, but we won't charge you for it if it's obviously an accident". It was more like "well, you need to hook up you unit now". Even knowing this, I've never watched a PPV off of DISH. It's why I have a DVD player.

#46 OFFLINE   nitz369

nitz369

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:17 AM

For some reason most people are not looking at the other options out there. Dish is the only company that offers these Dual Tuner's. So basically because they offer them they are giving you a discount. But if you choose to not plug a phone line in then they won't give you a discount. REMEMBER THIS, without dual tuner you would have a lot more $5 fees for each room, AND you don't get the convienience of having recorded program being on multiple TVS!

Also, I am a Dish Reseller and they have been very clear about one Thing:

The $6 lease fee of HD, WILL NOT be charge if you only have one HD Box, they will consider your HD box to be the box that is included with your programming!!!!

#47 OFFLINE   nitz369

nitz369

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:18 AM

I am really getting tired of reading threads from all of your Conspiracy Theorists out there!

Lay off Dish!

My area I can get Comcast, and DirectTV, neither one comes close to Dish prices and features!!

#48 OFFLINE   John Ashman

John Ashman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:00 PM

Nitz, that's why I can't understand some of the seemingly aberrant behavior that doesn't seem to jive with Dish's usually fine service. At least they came up with a coherent program that doesn't make current subscribers feel cheated. But I still feel the fee for not having a line is stupid and needs to be challenged. Or, at least there ought to be exceptions.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...