Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP622 No Fuss No Muss... I think

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JerryLA

JerryLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

I just got off the phone with Dish CSR. I ordered the VIP 622 for $49 and do not have to trade a unit in. They told me I should receive the unit within the next 10 days with an installation date of February 20th. I thought the price was $299? I asked him to confirm this price with someone and he did. Anyone else experience this price? I'm thinking it's too good to be true.
Dish 622 & 510

Pioneer Elite 510
Denon AVR 3300
Denon DVD 2910
Dish Customer since 1/97

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:11 PM

YOu are most likely right Jerry. My guess is that you ordered a 211. I would call and confirm with another CSR before you get disappointed and a 211 arrives.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   bluewolverine

bluewolverine

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

Same exact thing happened to me this afternoon. Figured I'd go with it in case it was "real"; follow up call confirmed it wasn't (mine turned out to be a SD DVR, 942 maybe???). Anyway, had to redo everything. They did give me $25 off the real price for my inconvenience.

#4 OFFLINE   JerryLA

JerryLA

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:39 PM

Yeah, I figure it's too good to be true. I haven't called back yet. Going to wait till the wait time is not quite so long.
Dish 622 & 510

Pioneer Elite 510
Denon AVR 3300
Denon DVD 2910
Dish Customer since 1/97

#5 OFFLINE   JerryLA

JerryLA

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:02 PM

Just talked to Dish... they have my order as a VIP622. I asked if I needed to upgrade my dishes and they said I did not. I have Dish500 and another Dish for HD. Is there any advantage to going with a Dish1000?
Dish 622 & 510

Pioneer Elite 510
Denon AVR 3300
Denon DVD 2910
Dish Customer since 1/97

#6 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

Just talked to Dish... they have my order as a VIP622. I asked if I needed to upgrade my dishes and they said I did not. I have Dish500 and another Dish for HD. Is there any advantage to going with a Dish1000?

If you already have a Dish 500 and another for 61.5 (not sure about 148 for the West Coast) you should be fine.. as programming for 129 is being mirrored.
Norm

#7 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:19 PM

Can we merge some of these threads into 1, 2 or 3 threads for the VIP622? There's too much information here. :D

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:02 PM

Can we merge some of these threads into 1, 2 or 3 threads for the VIP622? There's too much information here. :D

I considered that ... but merging threads can make a bigger mess by mixing in posts that made perfect sense with no posts between them with odd posts on a different thought.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a more relaxed day. :D

#9 OFFLINE   rollua1

rollua1

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 211 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:14 AM

I considered that ... but merging threads can make a bigger mess by mixing in posts that made perfect sense with no posts between them with odd posts on a different thought.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a more relaxed day. :D

Sorry to tell you this but I think that things are only going to go downhill untill people actually get the 622. There are going to be very few people that get them over the next 2 weeks cause of the faulty chip recall.
If you are a weather weenie check us out

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:20 AM

That is completely beside the point. The problem today was getting one ordered. That's what I was referring to. The rush on the phones and the forum to share information. It has nothing to do with an alleged 'recall' of an unreleased receiver.

#11 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:03 AM

My friend (a current E* customer) called yesterday to get one, and they told him it would be $299.00 up front. Unfortunately he can't afford that right now. Why is E* making it so expensive for current customers to get a new DVR? New customers don't have to pay the up front costs. Where's the loyalty at for current customers? Couldn't E* allow current customers to rent or make payments on the new box instead?

#12 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:13 AM

Why is E* making it so expensive for current customers to get a new DVR?

E* is in the business of making a profit. Consider the actual mark up on the models they are having manufactured. Even at $299, the actual cost to them for the manufacturing is less, but $299 is considerably less than the retail price. With that cost to the leaser, and the 18 month commitment, if someone gets cold feet, then penalties apply plus the equipment is returned to them. With their strategy, it may be worth will to invest in their stock! Also, E* has many other expenses like the cost of new satellites and many other expenses like overhead, and of course supplying us with programming. As there are increased number of receiver models produced, the cost will be less thus making a bigger profit margin. We will continue to pay mostly because they are a private industry catering to the public and this is America where everyone has the opportunity to be successful.

#13 OFFLINE   Zappy

Zappy

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:22 PM

My VIP 622 was scheduled by Dish to be installed today (2/2/06) in the AM. They called today to reschedule it for the afternoon. I hope that this is not an ominous sign that the install date was too good to be true. Does anyone know if they really have the 622 available for installs right now?

Sincerely, Zappy

#14 OFFLINE   thecodeman

thecodeman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

Sorry to tell you this but I think that things are only going to go downhill untill people actually get the 622. There are going to be very few people that get them over the next 2 weeks cause of the faulty chip recall.

My friend that works at DishDirect was told there wont be any available for 6 weeks due to this. However, every time I call Dish in the past 2 days to confirm my install all tell me that im still getting it on the 21st and that there's no recall. *shrug*

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:05 PM

E* is in the business of making a profit. Consider the actual mark up on the models they are having manufactured. Even at $299, the actual cost to them for the manufacturing is less, but $299 is considerably less than the retail price. With that cost to the leaser, and the 18 month commitment, if someone gets cold feet, then penalties apply plus the equipment is returned to them. With their strategy, it may be worth will to invest in their stock! Also, E* has many other expenses like the cost of new satellites and many other expenses like overhead, and of course supplying us with programming. As there are increased number of receiver models produced, the cost will be less thus making a bigger profit margin. We will continue to pay mostly because they are a private industry catering to the public and this is America where everyone has the opportunity to be successful.

Probably also worth considering that... as far as I know... you could get a leased receiver today, spill a Pepsi on it tomorrow, and they have to send a replacement for it. I'm sure some customers are worse on their receivers than others and many get replaced for reasons like that... hence the $299 charge to recoup some money AND help remind customers to take care of the units they just paid a bunch of moolah for.

#16 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:37 PM

Then they should come up with some kind of payment system for those who don't have the money for the total up front costs. Do you think if he called back he could get them to do something like that? Thanks.

#17 OFFLINE   suzook

suzook

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

My VIP 622 was scheduled by Dish to be installed today (2/2/06) in the AM. They called today to reschedule it for the afternoon. I hope that this is not an ominous sign that the install date was too good to be true. Does anyone know if they really have the 622 available for installs right now?

Sincerely, Zappy

did you get the 622 installed? Let us know, thanks

#18 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

Then they should come up with some kind of payment system for those who don't have the money for the total up front costs. Do you think if he called back he could get them to do something like that? Thanks.

It would really be great if they do have assistance programs and maybe it would be worth the try. Don't they just prefer the customer to use a credit card or other means of payment? HDMe illustrates a good point as a reason why the company charges the amount that they do. I really didn't consider the faction (kids roughhousing, accidents and the like) that are more prone to damaging equipment, or even more, those who neglect to pay the fees or return the equipment once on-board. I think we better stop before someone there sees this and increases the current equipment lease cost.

#19 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:27 PM

It would really be great if they do have assistance programs and maybe it would be worth the try. Don't they just prefer the customer to use a credit card or other means of payment? HDMe illustrates a good point as a reason why the company charges the amount that they do. I really didn't consider the faction (kids roughhousing, accidents and the like) that are more prone to damaging equipment, or even more, those who neglect to pay the fees or return the equipment once on-board. I think we better stop before someone there sees this and increases the current equipment lease cost.

I don't think Dish or any company needs to get into the financial assistance game, watching Satellite TV should not become a welfare program, a HD Reciever and an HD set are luxury items. If someone does not have the income to afford this kind of electronics, then they should not be spending it on high tech TV gear, irregardless of whether its leased or otherwise..
Norm

#20 OFFLINE   chicagofilms

chicagofilms

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:01 AM

I had the same thing happen then I ordered on 2-1. I said I wanted to trade in my 811 for a ViP622. I was told $49 & installation this Sunday, 2-5 between 8-12. I repeated "I'm getting the new 622?" about 4-5 times and each time was told "Yes, the new dual tuner HD DVR, the 622".

I called back yesterday after reading all the stories here & on other sites and told the rep I was hearing of delays and I wanted to make sure I was getting the new 622. The rep once again assured me that yes, I'm getting a 622 installed this Sunday.

If all goes well, I'll have it up and running in time for kickoff!:D

But in the back of my mind I'm expecting the guy to show up with a 625 or 211.:mad:

spam firewall