Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A DirecTV customer with questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rpj795

rpj795

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

I have a question regarding the 622. I just ordered it and I have an install date for Feb 21. I am currently Directv customer with a HD tivo. Does anyone know if the 622 has a name based recording (like Tivo) or a time based machine. Also, I got it for $299 without an 18 month commitment, an additional receiver for $49.99 with a $50 credit on my first bill and no install fee. Why would anyone sign an 18 month commitment if you don’t have to or did I miss something?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooby2

scooby2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

Sounds like you missed something. To waive the $49.99 fee you have to sign the 18 month contract. 622 does have Name based recording. I'm jumping from DirecTV as well. 622 ordered (2/17) but it sounds like it will be delayed but hopefully not too far.

#3 OFFLINE   rpj795

rpj795

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:41 PM

Also, I was told by two people that I couldn’t get my locals in HD though dish network and two say that I can. When I finally ordered it the lady said that I couldn’t so I told her I wanted to cancel, she then sent me to the cancellation department who promised that I could get my locals in HD though them. I told her that was the many reason why I was switching to Dish. I am in the St. Louis, MO area, so does anyone know who is right?
Also, you say delayed. I have to return my HD Tivo by 2/25; my install is Dish Network 2/21 so if I get pushed back I guess I will have to just go a few days without HD.

#4 OFFLINE   scooby2

scooby2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:01 PM

St Louis HD local channels are not available via satellite at this time. They are planned but it will most likely be a while. They will most likely go on Echostar X which is scheduled to launch on or around 2/8/06 via sea-launch.

edit: check this
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/hdlocal.htm

#5 OFFLINE   rpj795

rpj795

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:34 PM

How can someone that works for Dish Network tell me that I am going to get the HD locals though them when I get it instaled.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,670 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:58 PM

There are confused people everywhere. The ones that say 'can' may be thinking OTA HD or future uplinks.

#7 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:09 PM

How can someone that works for Dish Network tell me that I am going to get the HD locals though them when I get it instaled.

They will say anything to get you to sign up. I'm sure they knew what you were talking about but justt wanted to make the sale. They will often just say "Yeah Yeah" no problem just so you sign up or upgrade. They will never have to speak to you again and your left angry and confused. If you call back they will just tell you that person was mistaken or misunderstood or some other bull. They are all about adding as mnay subscribers and will do or say anything to sign you up. And you definitely cannot get HD locals where you are. They are gonna start offering them in 4 markets I think next month or in two months and St Louius is not one of the markets. You can use an OTA antenna to try to pick thme up because the 622 has an input for that.

#8 OFFLINE   rpj795

rpj795

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:51 AM

That is unbelievable that they would do that. I don’t want to get into an E* vs. D* debate but now I don’t know if I should make the switch. This 622 seems pretty neat and the HD Tivo that I had to spend $399 is not going to be supported anymore which means when D* switches to mpeg4 I will have to upgrade my receivers and dish. Anyone have any advise on if I should make the switch from D* to E* for this 622?

#9 OFFLINE   Virus

Virus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:47 AM

That is unbelievable that they would do that. I don’t want to get into an E* vs. D* debate but now I don’t know if I should make the switch. This 622 seems pretty neat and the HD Tivo that I had to spend $399 is not going to be supported anymore which means when D* switches to mpeg4 I will have to upgrade my receivers and dish. Anyone have any advise on if I should make the switch from D* to E* for this 622?

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm a DTV subscriber. My locals are available in HD, but they have no HD DVR to receive Mpeg4. I figured, since I'm getting the local OTA anyway, why not take advantage of the 25 HD channels and continue with HD OTA. They will have them eventually.

spam firewall