Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Regional Sports Channel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gkamer

gkamer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

OK, here is my situation..... I just ordered a 42" plasma and want to change from my old analog cable to satilite cable. I have been looking at both DighTV and DirectTV.

So far I am leaning towards Dish, only because they offer an option to get an HD package with my regional sports station (I want FSN Northwest to watch my beloved Seattle Mariner's).

I see DirectTV only offers regional sports channels on their high end $93.00 package. I don't intend to pay that much for any type of cable package. Hell for a few more bucks I could buy a season ticket and watch the game live.

So does anyone know if DirectTV offers something like that?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:10 PM

No, D* offers FSN NW with Total Choice and up. TC Premier gives you out of market RSNs, but any D* basic package gives you your in market RSN.

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:16 PM

But... other then the "YES" network, and the rare special situations...

DirecTV doesn't carry any of the RSNs in HD
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:27 PM

Errr... Dish does not offer the regional sports nets in HD either. Which package on Dish are you talking about?

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:15 AM

gkamer,

The package comparison screen on D*'s web site doesn't "x" the RSN's under Total Choice Plus (locals - the $45.99 package), but the following line is at the top of the screen, "Local channels vary by area and are not listed here. To find your local channels lineup, simply click here and enter your ZIP code."

When you sub to your locals, your local RSN is included. They also offer all RSN's as a Premium Package, which starts at $12.00 a month, depending on how many premiums you have. That's why they show all RSNs checked under the $93.99 package, becuase that includes the RSN premium package.

You would get YOUR RSN under the $45.99 package. And as mentioned, I don't know of any that are HD (except maybe YES in NY).

#6 OFFLINE   byron

byron

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:33 AM

occasionally D* will toss up HD games that various RSNs broadcast on the upper 90s channels.... if it happens to be the broadcast of your local RSN. you'll be able to watch... good luck finding a schedule though. it's just potluck from my experience.

#7 OFFLINE   rjc

rjc

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:58 AM

I have a question regarding regional sports networks in HD for DirecTV. If one is outside of the NY market and subsribes to both SportsPak and MLB Extra Innings, would we get the YES network Yankee games in HD or would we have to live in NY market to get those games in HD?

Thanks

#8 OFFLINE   gkamer

gkamer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:14 AM

OK guys, thanks for the info, that was what I was looking for. Somehow I suspected DirectTV must offer some sort of regional sports somewhere if for no other reason that to compete with what Dish offers....

#9 OFFLINE   byron

byron

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:32 AM

If one is outside of the NY market and subsribes to both SportsPak and MLB Extra Innings, would we get the YES network Yankee games in HD?

Thanks

yes. the same is also true with the other sports packages. for example i pay for NHL:CI. I get any of the HD games they put up unless my local team (pens) are playing in that game and they are using the opposing market's feed. To further explain, if pittsburgh is playing new york and D* puts up an HD feed of the game and that feed is from FSN-NY... it will be blacked out. If that feed is from FSN-Pittsburgh, I'll be albe to watch. Basically, if the game is offered by your RSN, you are forced to watch it on your RSN (hence the reason all pens games on HDNET are blacked out for me).

that make sense?

#10 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:23 AM

gkamer,

The package comparison screen on D*'s web site doesn't "x" the RSN's under Total Choice Plus (locals - the $45.99 package), but the following line is at the top of the screen, "Local channels vary by area and are not listed here. To find your local channels lineup, simply click here and enter your ZIP code."

When you sub to your locals, your local RSN is included. They also offer all RSN's as a Premium Package, which starts at $12.00 a month, depending on how many premiums you have. That's why they show all RSNs checked under the $93.99 package, becuase that includes the RSN premium package.

You would get YOUR RSN under the $45.99 package. And as mentioned, I don't know of any that are HD (except maybe YES in NY).

Locals are irrelevant, your local RSN is included in Total Choice and above, if you sub to locals or not.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#11 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:13 AM

OK guys, thanks for the info, that was what I was looking for. Somehow I suspected DirectTV must offer some sort of regional sports somewhere if for no other reason that to compete with what Dish offers....

Directv is owned by News Corp. guess who owns the Fox Regional Sports Networks. (News Corp.):)

#12 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

Locals are irrelevant, your local RSN is included in Total Choice and above, if you sub to locals or not.

Sorry, my bad. I got faked out a bit by the way they have it laid out, too. I've always been getting my locals, so no experience to fall back on. Thanks for clearing that up!

#13 OFFLINE   absolutbob

absolutbob

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:49 PM

If one is outside of the NY market and subsribes to both SportsPak and MLB Extra Innings, would we get the YES network Yankee games in HD or would we have to live in NY market to get those games in HD?

yes. the same is also true with the other sports packages. for example i pay for NHL:CI. I get any of the HD games they put up unless my local team (pens) are playing in that game and they are using the opposing market's feed. To further explain, if pittsburgh is playing new york and D* puts up an HD feed of the game and that feed is from FSN-NY... it will be blacked out. If that feed is from FSN-Pittsburgh, I'll be albe to watch. Basically, if the game is offered by your RSN, you are forced to watch it on your RSN (hence the reason all pens games on HDNET are blacked out for me).

That hasn't been my experience with MLB Extra Innings and the SportsPak. I'm a Yankee fan living in Texas. My understanding is that most (if not all) Yankee games on the YES Network are broadcast by D* in HD in the NY RSN. However, here in Texas we only get the SD versions, with an occasional HD game thrown in every so often on channel 95.

Believe me, that's the #1 thing I wish would change, and I'm hoping with the new satellites come RSNs in HD. Maybe even NESN. :)

#14 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

That hasn't been my experience with MLB Extra Innings and the SportsPak. I'm a Yankee fan living in Texas. My understanding is that most (if not all) Yankee games on the YES Network are broadcast by D* in HD in the NY RSN. However, here in Texas we only get the SD versions, with an occasional HD game thrown in every so often on channel 95.

Believe me, that's the #1 thing I wish would change, and I'm hoping with the new satellites come RSNs in HD. Maybe even NESN. :)

ALL Yankee home and selected road games are on Channel 95. {Or no Channel 96 or 97 if within NY DMA}. DMA is irrelevent. HOWEVER if say in your case Texas is playing the Yankees and FSN SW is carrying the game the YES HD feed would be blacked out as well as the SD feed. I was able to see most Yankee games in HD here in Cleveland last season and the season before. Last year they started the interactive feature which is cool. But with that one feature is only available within the YES territory and thats the ability to choose camera angles.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#15 OFFLINE   NYSmoker

NYSmoker

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:30 AM

Here in NY (your experience may vary) the info for channel 96 says it is YES and channel 97 says it is SNY (home of the Mets, lets go Mets!). Having only had HD since Thanksgiving I can't say I have seen any baseball on those stations, however, the Nets, also broadcast on YES seem to have every home game in HD. I'm not a basketball fan but I can't turn off the glorious HD picture.
HR21-700 HDMI --> Sharp Aquos 42" LCD
HR20-700 HDMI --> Sharp Aquos 26" LCD .

#16 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:15 AM

ALL Yankee home and selected road games are on Channel 95. {Or no Channel 96 or 97 if within NY DMA}. DMA is irrelevent. HOWEVER if say in your case Texas is playing the Yankees and FSN SW is carrying the game the YES HD feed would be blacked out as well as the SD feed. I was able to see most Yankee games in HD here in Cleveland last season and the season before. Last year they started the interactive feature which is cool. But with that one feature is only available within the YES territory and thats the ability to choose camera angles.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're writing, I believe you're mistaken. If you're outside of the NY DMA (unfortunately), you'll only get the 1 or 2 HD MLB games chosen for that night. That may or may not be the Yankees. But you're not always going to see the HD Yanks unless you're in the in the NY DMA.
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#17 OFFLINE   BigSey

BigSey

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:18 AM

OK, here is my situation..... I just ordered a 42" plasma and want to change from my old analog cable to satilite cable. I have been looking at both DighTV and DirectTV.

So far I am leaning towards Dish, only because they offer an option to get an HD package with my regional sports station (I want FSN Northwest to watch my beloved Seattle Mariner's).

I see DirectTV only offers regional sports channels on their high end $93.00 package. I don't intend to pay that much for any type of cable package. Hell for a few more bucks I could buy a season ticket and watch the game live.

So does anyone know if DirectTV offers something like that?

I live in Seattle and have an HR20. Every Mariners, Sonics, etc. game that FSN Northwest shows in HD is shown on DirecTV on channel 96. Hope that helps answer your question.

HR20-700
H20-100

#18 OFFLINE   mganga

mganga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:10 PM

But... other then the "YES" network, and the rare special situations...

DirecTV doesn't carry any of the RSNs in HD

but isn't there "hope" of RSN's in HD once the new SATs go up? please, earl say there is hope...

#19 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

but isn't there "hope" of RSN's in HD once the new SATs go up? please, earl say there is hope...

I'm with you Texan, but I think the reality is that 2008 is the earliest we'd see that.
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#20 OFFLINE   tawnee

tawnee

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:51 PM

Only problem in the Philly area is that Philly Comcast won't let D* carry it, so no RSN for us.

spam firewall