Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just how many 622 are actually ready to ship??????

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   musicmaker2020

musicmaker2020

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:54 PM

Does anyone have any concrete evidence on the status of availablity of the 622? Over here I hear there are thousands ready and on another site I am hearing 250 units for the entire country.

Who is right?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:02 PM

Who knows.

On any new product launch there is usually a production ramp-up... where some minimum quanity is definately ready to go on day 1 to meet the requirements of a product launch... and then production is ramped during that first month until it gets to the levels of full production per the demand for the product.

I've worked for companies and seen product launches... it is not uncommon to have 10 or 25 units complete and available and shipping on Day 1 just to satisfy the requirement... but then production is slated to be in full gear within 1-3 weeks after that to meet the first month's demand.

In the case of companies like Dish, they don't announce a "street date" but rather a 2/1 availability date... That means on 2/1 customers can order and retailers can order... and the first few may also be shipped that day... with the balance coming later in the month.

It wouldn't surprise me if BOTH statements are correct... Perhaps there were only 250 or so available on the first day... but by the end of the month we will see 10,000 units. I never saw anyone claim there would be 10,000 on the first day.

#3 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

Does anyone know who manufactures them and where they are manufactured?

#4 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:11 PM

Does anyone know who manufactures them and where they are manufactured?

also, what the true production costs are for the unit :D

#5 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:30 PM

also, what the true production costs are for the unit :D

My 942 was manufactured in Mexico, either at a contract manufacturer or Dish owned facility.

My wild guess on cost would be in the $250 range for the 942/622. You won't get any acccurate data here as that is confidential info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...