Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Significantly Viewed Stations Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   teknophyle

teknophyle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:12 AM

DirecTV and EchoStar, in joint comments recently sent to the Federal Communications Commission, asked the agency to rethink its rules on satellite TV services delivering significantly-viewed stations to customers.
Specifically, the company asked the FCC to reconsider what they said is a narrow interpretation of the local service requirement contained in the regulations. They are pushing for an interpretation that will prevent local network affiliate stations from blocking carriage of significantly viewed analog signals.

The FCC's current interpretation of the local service requirement "empowers local network affiliates to condition or withhold analog retransmission consent unless the satellite operator agrees not to import significantly viewed signals. As a result, the local network affiliates are in a position to block carriage of significantly viewed analog signals, thereby depriving DBS subscribers of access to desired stations," the companies said in the joint filing.

DirecTV said it has encountered that situation involving significantly viewed stations during retransmission consent negotiations with local broadcasters.

The commission should adopt rules that permit satellite TV to carry significantly viewed network signals notwithstanding a local network affiliates refusal to grant retransmission consent, the companies said. "Otherwise, as a practical matter, DBS operators are left in the same position they were pre-SHVERA because they will be prevented from importing significantly viewed signals into local markets."

Significantly-viewed channels, in which TV stations from a neighboring market can be delivered along with local TV stations to consumers, is contained in the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA)."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

I tell you one thing, you get an education by reading these boards.

So some local stations don't want people to watch them via satellite. That's good to know. Does anyone know why?

#3 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

Local stations want the eyeballs of LOCAL viewers and the advertisers that seek them. They are less interested in people that are 50 miles away. So they see a loss associated with losing viewers to a station in the next DMA and little or no gain from gaining a few viewers somewhere else.

WSBK (a regional superstation) actually claims that some advertisers shy away from them as they want to run different specials in different areas and being seen all over New England createsd problems for them.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#4 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:38 PM

Thanks. I can see why they wouldn't want to lose viewers to a station 50 miles away. I can't really see the problem with gaining viewers 50 miles away despite it not being a cause for great interest.

#5 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:46 PM

I tell you one thing, you get an education by reading these boards.

So some local stations don't want people to watch them via satellite. That's good to know. Does anyone know why?

I didn't interpret it that way. The local network stations within a DMA don't want the significantly viewed stations from other DMAs being available. In their retransmission agreements with the satellite operators they make that a condition of their agreement so they will be the only network affiliate.

Cable can sometimes be similar. For example one station on my parent's cable system is a CBS affiliate from the neighboring DMA. The local CBS or should I say the one that has the DMA claim, didn't like the fact that the cable system carried the other CBS affiliate and complained or did something (not sure exactly what).

After 2 years with receiving both stations, the significantly viewed CBS station has to be shut off when it shows CBS network programming, but is on at all other times for local news and syndicated programs. The whole thing is ridiculous because there isn't much local advertising during the CBS shows anyway, so basically when the station goes black, you have to switch it to the other station to see the CBS programs.

I don't know why something can't be done so that both CBS stations can be received on cable without one blocking the other. Some viewers that live in the right area can pick up both stations with an antenna anyway so why does it matter if cable has both??

#6 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for clarifying. If I lived there the only thing that would do for me is cause me to resent the station insisting on being the only one. But in that particular case I don't think anybody can complain, at least they only make the other station go black only when network programs are on. I thought that was my original idea!

#7 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:57 AM

Years ago in the late 80s, we had a similar situation with 2 ABC stations on cable. Instead of going black on the significantly viewed station, it just flipped to the other ABC station when ABC programming was on. That was a good way to do it because no matter which channel you put it on it had the ABC shows on. We hardly could tell which station the ABC shows were coming from, only by the station ID that would appear on the screen.

spam firewall