Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I use the H20 & R10 together? (And other H20 Questions.)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Aria

Aria

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:54 AM

I'm in the San Francisco Bay area with MPEG 4, so I can't get local HD channels with the DIRECTV HR10-250.

On other threads, I was very disappointed to find that the H20 doesn't have two Sat inputs nor an IR to control a VCR or DVD recorder for time shift recording. So, recording could be a real pain.

Are there any solutions to these problems? I already have a R10 (DirecTV Std Tivo). Is it possible for the R10 to record from the R20 by putting a cable from the R20 output into the R10 input? Then, I could put a second cable directly into the R10, so I can record one channel while watching another?

Also, with the R20, can you choose aspect ratios? Can you choose between 4:3 and 16:9? I have an HD capable 4:3 ratio TV.

I really wanted to have HD for all or part of the Olympics and to be able to record them as well. I had no idea it would be so difficult!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

Actually I've been having the same issue. If you have enuf inputs on your TV, why don't you just connect both the H20 and the DTivo. You would just have to switch back and forth which would be a pain but its not that big of a deal. And you would have to pay the extra 5 bucks for the H20. Did that make sense. Basically you would have both boxes connected and activated, you could still get the MPEG 4 channels thru the h20 and still have access to the Tivo. Its not the best solution but its a suggestion.

#3 OFFLINE   rick31621

rick31621

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:06 PM

I have a DVD recorder, the H20 and the R10 connected to my Sony HD.
I just have to change the TV/video input on the remote.
They work fine.

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:21 PM

I'm not completely familiar with the R10, but if I'm guessing right, there are two inputs that are both for satellite feeds. If so, you could not run the output signal from the H20 through the R10 and record. Besides, the R10 is a SD recorder, so it would not record HD anyway.

If you want to actually record off the H20 and have a VCR or DVD recorder, you would just need to program the recorder to record the period of time you wanted with the H20 output being the input feed (again, I'm guessing it will not record in HD but would still record what you program).

Or, as mentioned, output both the H20 and R10 to multiple inputs on your TV and switch between the signals according to how your TV works.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...