Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NYC Local Channels, Sat/Transponders?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:17 AM

The picture is going to be exactly the same with a 25 or a 100 signal. Its digital and its either going to be there or not.

I understand that - my concern is whether or not 30 is too low a signal strength to get a picture with (my guess is that it is too low). Also, trying to figure out why my signal strength keeps fluctuating like this, although it has been steady for 12 hours now (it was around 90 when I went to bed last night and around the same level when I woke up and left for work this morning)...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:06 AM

30 is probably too low to have consistently reliable service. If you are getting a picture, you may have a higher than normal rate of blocking and artifact distortion, as you will be at or below the threshold where the forward error correction can keep up with the bit error rate.

Carl

#23 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:11 AM

Hmm...I'll be interested to see what the signal level is when I get home today. Yesterday when I got home from work (around 6pm) it was in the 30s (like I mentioned earlier in this thread), but by the time I got home later that night (around 11pm) it was back up over 80. I'm hoping it was a temporary problem...

#24 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

Back into the 60s today at 6pm...

This entire thing seems to have no rhyme or reason as to when it goes down in signal...

#25 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:14 PM

What satellite and transponder are the NYC locals (all of them, not just the national distants) on? I'm trying to figure out if I can "move" to NYC and still be within the spot beam for the other locals, as I'm about 130-140 miles away in SE PA...

Well, the NYC TV market extends about 80 miles south to Mystic Islands in Ocean County NJ and 85 miles west to Greentown in Pike County PA. The spot beam HAS TO reach that far at least.

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

#26 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:12 PM

Now I'm back up to 81 on TP4, 82 on TP12, and 73 on TP20...

I guess it could be the spot beam drifting, but that doesn't explain why I was down in the 30s last night. If it is spot beam drift, that should clear up when they launch SV locals since 4 of the SV locals my county would get are Philly stations (which would mean they're on the NY spot beam, they'd have to extend it to reach here). I guess we'll see where it is tomorrow night and go from there...

#27 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:14 PM

This is funny to me. I am near Annapolis, and I have seen posts that people can get NYC channels (all of them) down here. And I have a signal on transponders 4, 12, and 20, which are the Philly and NYC channels.

#28 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:19 PM

That's the odd thing - I'm constantly at 100 on TP18, which is the DC locals...go figure.

#29 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:53 AM

Ok, the rollercoaster stays up this morning...90ish on 4 and 12, 81 on TP20. I can live with those numbers if they'd stay in that area or above 80.

I just wish I could figure out what that 30 on Monday night was all about. I guess I'll have to wait and see where the signal is when I get home from work tonight...

#30 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

What satellite and transponder are the NYC locals (all of them, not just the national distants) on? I'm trying to figure out if I can "move" to NYC and still be within the spot beam for the other locals, as I'm about 130-140 miles away in SE PA...

Your question doesn't make sense. Once you "move" (illegally) to NYC, they cannot still provide your real local stations to you.

#31 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:06 PM

Your question doesn't make sense. Once you "move" (illegally) to NYC, they cannot still provide your real local stations to you.

Huh?

#32 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:17 PM

Well, I haven't been below 60 since Monday night when it was in the 30s (knock on wood, hopefully that was just an aberration). Tonight I'm between 64-73 on all three (4, 12, and 20)...

#33 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:53 AM

Tower Guy is trying to say that if you manage to get New York local channels, you will lose whatever channels you have. Therefore, it doesn't matter if you, "can "move" to NYC and still be within the spot beam for the other locals." If you move to NYC, the other locals won't matter.

However, I suspect you are talking about the spot-beam locals for NY, not your current S/W-B locals.

#34 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:48 AM

Tower Guy is trying to say that if you manage to get New York local channels, you will lose whatever channels you have. Therefore, it doesn't matter if you, "can "move" to NYC and still be within the spot beam for the other locals." If you move to NYC, the other locals won't matter.

However, I suspect you are talking about the spot-beam locals for NY, not your current S/W-B locals.

Yeah, I don't really care about the SWB locals. If I really need them, I could probably get them OTA (although that'd be iffy, I'm close to 40 miles from the towers).

I just wish I could figure out why my signal on Monday night was in the 30s on those 3 transponders. It hasn't been below 60 since and I've been consistently above 80 at night (like I said, knock on wood), which leads me to believe it wasn't a normal occurence - but there was no real weather condition that would've knocked it down that much, it was pretty much a clear night on Monday. It's just odd...

#35 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:46 PM

Do you have a tree branch waving in the path of your dish?? That will cause it to move up and down like that.

#36 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:57 PM

That's not it - now that I've been checking it every night for a few weeks, it happens at wayyyyy too regular an interval for it to be something like that. I've just gotten used to it...

spam firewall