Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Very Specific Question About 2 Year Contract

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:52 PM

Not a chance, just a reasonably satisfied customer that thinks these forums should be much more than a constant bitch sessions for a few disgruntled customers. Based on your posting history, you've done more than your fair share...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   cobra2225

cobra2225

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:56 AM

I have been unable to get a straight answer from DTV to this question so I figure I might get an answer from the resourceful people on this forum. I am a current DTV subscriber and want to upgrade to the HD Tivo. I know this comes with a 2 year committment but I was wondering when this actually takes effect. Here is the reason why i ask. The DTV installer in my area, Mastec, is absolutely horrible, and like many people on this forum I have had many absoultey nightmarish and very frustrating experiences with them. And from reading the most recent posts, they are still as bad as ever. My most recent install about a year ago took 8 seperate techs with 8 seperate appts to get just a standard dish and a couple of receivers installed. I wasted an entire vacation bs'ing with them on the phone, having installers just not show up, or show up very late and then give me some excuse as to why it wasn't possible to do the install...all the reasons were bogus.

So basically what I want to do is order the HD Tivo and set up an installation. I would prefer to do it myself but it seems like DTV will never allow that. This may sound harsh but trust me its warranted but if I get any bullcrap from that like they cancel the appt after calling saying they will be there in an hour or if they show up without equipment or just give me any excuse at all, I will just say to them go f..k yourselves, I don't want to reschedule and sit around waiting for your incompetent techs, cancel my installation. i then want to be able to call DTV, cancel my order and cancel my service and tell them to get their **** together and hire some better contractors.

Will DTV tell me that I have agreed to a 2 year contract in ordering the upgrade and I must pay a penalty to cancel. Currently I am not under contract, it just expired last week actually. So basically I want to give them one chance to get the install right, and if they don't I'm just not gonna deal with it, I'm not gonna waste my time again. Does anyone have any info on this? I honestly expect those sneaky aholes at DTV to try and charge me a cancellation fee by claiming that I have just signed a 2 year commitment and I must pay to get out of it.

Oh, one side note. I have read on some other threads that they will let you otu of the contract if you just send back the equipment. I still don't believe this because otherwise what is the point of the contract. It is meaningless if you can just send back your receivers to get out of it. Isn't the whole point of the penalty to dissuade people from canceling. Any info on this?

Thanks everyone, I don't know what I would do without this forum.

don't forget the LMB'S

#23 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:50 AM

Requiring contracts sucks.

Unfortunately, DTV has gone the route of the cell phone companies. They've decided that customers want free equipment and free installation (like the cable companies offer.) The only way DTV can recoup that cost is through contracts.

That's where cable has the upper hand. No contracts, no costs for equipment, no games on price and no rebates.

I'm in a 2-year contract, which I hate, but I got a free DTivo out of the deal. The cable offerings where I live are terrible, so it's satellite for me.

#24 OFFLINE   kay

kay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:08 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if you work for DTV.

On that note - it seems there are lots of D* employees around here (i've seen a few who are rather upfront about it already)

#25 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:53 AM

When someone hints or says they work for DirecTV I would not believe them 9 times out of 10. Unless they have an email address that ends with @directv.com I doubt a lot of what I read.

spam firewall