Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any Chance DTV Will Add Arabic International Package?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:24 PM

I know this is kind of an obscure question but I know that DTV has been adding a lot of different international packages to its offerings. Does anyone know if there is any info on whehter they might add some Arabic package like Dish Net offers. Are they trying to atch Dish or are they doing their own thing. Any info or news would be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   westwood wizard

westwood wizard

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

I know this is kind of an obscure question but I know that DTV has been adding a lot of different international packages to its offerings. Does anyone know if there is any info on whehter they might add some Arabic package like Dish Net offers. Are they trying to atch Dish or are they doing their own thing. Any info or news would be appreciated.

Directv is not trying to match Dish Network tit for tat literally but I guess it would be natural for them to go after some of the same ethnic groups. I doubt Arabic channels are at the top of their list though. I do not believe Rupert Murdoch and his News Corporation are big on the Middle East generally speaking.

#3 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:27 PM

Yeah Murdoch is definitely not a fan of the Middle East, thats for sure. But I think business comes first to him and if they can make some money by charging a premium for Araic channels as Dish Network does, I thin he might be willing to overcome any reservations. I mean the Arabic package is Dish Net's top selling internaitonal package from what I've read so there is definitely demand for it. And I know that DTV has been adding a lot of different international packages. They used to have a few but I went to the DTV website to take a look and they have added a lot more. I just don't get why they would add some of those more obscure internaitonal packages and not one that is relatively more mainstream, well I mean in terms of demand and potential customers. I guess it all depends on how much Murdoch hates the Middle East and how willing he is to add their channels to DirecTV. It does make sense to do so in my opinion, thats one of the advantages of satellite over cable. And by the way, there is this rich Saudi prince who owns a huge stake in Newscopr, something like five percent and he is supposedly pushing for them to add some Arabic programming to the DTV lineup. But there is probably nothing coming anytime soon since II haven't heard anything, but you never know because those pakcages seem to appear out of nowhere.

#4 OFFLINE   NVBlue

NVBlue

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

No just Christian stations.

#5 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:26 PM

Or if you're really interested take a look at Globe Cast World TV for a system that gets a lot of Arabic channels. Wouldn't be on the DTV receiver, but you can get a lot of channels, for free, that Dish charges for.
If you can read this, you are too close.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...