Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Signal Strength Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:54 PM

How low does a signal have to get before you start seeing the picture drop out?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

Depends on the receiver, I'll lose the signal on my H10 around 50- 60% on a clear day. Of course if you're at 60% on a good day, then even the slightest sign of rain will wipe you out.

#3 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

Usually below 50.

I'm watching a channel with only 58 strenth due to rain, and I'm not getting any drop out.

#4 OFFLINE   WHNB

WHNB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:38 PM

For me, moderate picture and audio drop-out is apparent when my 811 receiver registers a local digital channel's signal strength between 72-74%. More severe pixelation occurs between 61-71%, to the point of the channel being unwatchable. My 811's signal strength meter defaults to 49% for anything lower than 61%. 49% is a black screen and is equal to 0%.

Ideal signal strength is in the 75-93% range at my location. I've never seen the meter register higher than 93%, and that was just briefly. On strong local digital channels, the meter is usually fluctuating between 89-91%. But it is possible to have some brief pixelation and audio drop-outs even on channels registering 89-91% - the meter will quickly fall to a lower number and bounce back to 89%.

The threshold for picture drop-out at your location will depend on the transmitting power of your local digital stations, the distance and terrain between your location and the broadcast towers, and the type of antenna and receiver that you have.

#5 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:37 AM

the local channels on my hughes SD receivers work even when the snow brought the signal down to 19. it would jump from 19-24 when it was snowing and the dish was covered with snow. just a few of the other channels worked, but the locals never did go completly out. the picture was degraded slightly but it was watchable. my samsung directivo and my old rca lost all signal. i have the phase 3 oval dish.

#6 OFFLINE   cable_killer

cable_killer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:02 AM

depending on location. ideal signal strenght is at least 70% sat 119 transpnder 19 sat 110 transponder 21 if you have winged sat locations sat 105 increased to 54% sat 129 same. customers in alaska hawaii puerto rico and the virgin islands differ. rain fade may drop signal down about 5% watch for freezing weather!!! if ice builds up on dish, will reflect signal out

Protected By... spam firewall...And...