Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R-15 and Olympics.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:11 AM

I really really really really wish that DirecTv releases an update BEFORE the Olympics start this Friday.

The Olympics is only on once every few years and I have lost faith in 100% reliably counting on my R-15 to record things. I plan to move my DirecTiVo back to the living room for the couple weeks the Olympics is on as I cant risk missing recordings or the box locking up and when it resets it erases what it already recorded and starts over, etc....

I set my R-15 for a SL for the Olympics and the only thing that showed up was the opening cerimony and none of the 100 other showings. I started manually selecting shows and then decided to just TiVo it as this is such an important moment in history, to me atleast, that I just cant risk using the R-15 alone unless its updated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:06 AM

When did you set the SL... as we know it takes a little time for the remainder of the SL's to populate the to-do list.

I would CERTAINLY recommend setting the Series Link to record ALL recordings (not just First Runs).
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:23 AM

Bobman,

I found that the problems I had with Survivor "fixed" themselves after powering the box off for a minute and powering it back up. Of course I did this just before going to bed and put it in Standby when I went to bed and by morning things were working much better.
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300
(Gathering dust in a closet)

#4 OFFLINE   monkcee

monkcee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:11 PM

"12:53PM DIRECTV and NBC to deliver interactive and On Demand olympic experience: DTV announces it and NBC will deliver an outstanding Olympic viewing experience to its customers nationwide. In addition to offering comprehensive Olympic coverage from NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and the USA Network, DIRECTV will also offer enhanced features, such as the Sports Mix channel that will display multiple NBC Olympic channels simultaneously on one screen, up-to-the-minute medal counts, NBC's entire Winter Olympics television schedule and more. In addition, DIRECTV will offer more than 100 hours of high-definition Olympic coverage from Universal HD and up to 200 hours of NBC network Olympic Coverage in HD, as well as more than 15 hours of on demand NBC Olympics content available to DIRECTV DVR customers." from Reuters

Does this mean they plan a software update by Friday since on demand is not currently working?

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:25 PM

This is an intresting post...

It isn't that "On-Demand" isn't working, it is just that nothing has been sent out for it. (that doesn't change the fact that there is a software upgrade comming soon).

As for teh 100hours on Universal HD... based on NBC listings... that is 95% Live Hockey matches...

It will be intresting to see what the cost will be for the On-Demand content would be.

Edit: In depth discussion on the NBC/DirecTV Olympic announcement will continue here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=52326

BUT; discussion about setting up the R15 to capture all that converage, will continue on this thread.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:36 PM

It isn't that "On-Demand" isn't working, it is just that nothing has been sent out for it. (that doesn't change the fact that there is a software upgrade comming soon).

As for teh 100hours on Universal HD... based on NBC listings... that is 95% Live Hockey matches...

It will be intresting to see what the cost will be for the On-Demand content would be.

Edit: In depth discussion on the NBC/DirecTV Olympic announcement will continue here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=52326

BUT; discussion about setting up the R15 to capture all that converage, will continue on this thread.

Wouldn't this only be possible on the R15?

#7 OFFLINE   monkcee

monkcee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:56 PM

I beg to differ, the Jan. D* Newsletter advertised some on demand content and it did not appear on the R15 but it did show up on the D*Tivo

#8 OFFLINE   fancydancy

fancydancy

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:30 PM

Couldn't you do a Keyword Find By autorecord? That's what I do when there's a show I want to record on multiple channels. Not sure how the R15 would handle A) more than 2 channels with Olympic coverage at the same time, and B) if the guide info makes new coverage look like something that's already been recorded.

I really really really really wish that DirecTv releases an update BEFORE the Olympics start this Friday.

The Olympics is only on once every few years and I have lost faith in 100% reliably counting on my R-15 to record things. I plan to move my DirecTiVo back to the living room for the couple weeks the Olympics is on as I cant risk missing recordings or the box locking up and when it resets it erases what it already recorded and starts over, etc....

I set my R-15 for a SL for the Olympics and the only thing that showed up was the opening cerimony and none of the 100 other showings. I started manually selecting shows and then decided to just TiVo it as this is such an important moment in history, to me atleast, that I just cant risk using the R-15 alone unless its updated.

#9 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:34 PM

http://www.nbcolympi...neupId=PC:29609

Nice link to search on though it won't help your DVR
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:23 PM

I beg to differ, the Jan. D* Newsletter advertised some on demand content and it did not appear on the R15 but it did show up on the D*Tivo

Which specific "OnDemand" items are you referring to? As I still have several Tivo based units, and have not seen any "OnDemand" / VOD type items on any of the recievers.

There is a difference between the Olympic preview stuff, which basically on the TiVo units was a fancy way to get you to scheduled a recording... VS what VOD/"OnDemand" is... where the content has already been pushed to the unit and then you can watch it.

It is "VERY" possible that this is going to use the former method... A way to scheduled a late night broadcast, which will then show up the next day... which then it wouldn't cost anything, but isn't really "OnDemand" it is more like "ICommandU2RecordThisLater"

I would think the VOD/And more traditional thinking of "OnDemand" would only be on the R15s... but now that I think about it more, I think it is going to be more of the exclusive "scheduled" recordings.

Which means we may see the first usage of the showcases tab in the R15
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#11 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:38 AM

I decided to try and stick it out with my R-15 for the Olympics and just keep a watchful eye on it. Sorry about my rant up top, the R-15 locked up twice the morning of the Super Bowl and that frustrated me to no end. I know some dont follow the Olympics but I really enjoy the Olympics and have to watch as much as I can.

I setup a SL "AND" did a keyword search for ALL and OLYMPIC. I will just check daily starting Friday to make sure everything is recorded.

#12 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:45 PM

The Olympics starts tonight and I have seen no special features in the R-15, no showcases, no interactive channels, etc.... I thought there were going to be many Olympic features some that only the R-15 would have and not the DirecTiVos.

#13 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:08 PM

Other then full usage of the sports mix channel... I am under the impression that there is nothing specific to the R15

Take a look at the listing for channel 731
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#14 OFFLINE   DJPellegrino

DJPellegrino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:52 PM

Other then full usage of the sports mix channel... I am under the impression that there is nothing specific to the R15

Take a look at the listing for channel 731

Earl,
Question:
Does it appear me that you are somehow becoming the official backdoor (Unofficial) to DirecTV?

If so, how far up the chain are you being heard? the development teams?
If we have a feature request or fix...it appears that you are the funnel to DirecTV.
Do they solicit your input? Do they want a product that hits a homerun, or a single?

Just my observations....

#15 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:57 PM

Earl,
Question:
Does it appear me that you are somehow becoming the official backdoor (Unofficial) to DirecTV?

If so, how far up the chain are you being heard? the development teams?
If we have a feature request or fix...it appears that you are the funnel to DirecTV.
Do they solicit your input? Do they want a product that hits a homerun, or a single?

Just my observations....

Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

First, I am not an "offical" anything with DirecTV... I am just another user like the rest of you, that happens to be a geek with this stuff. And have been lucky enough to be at the rigth place at the right time. (Re... the reviews I have done)

I have been lucky enough to be in contact with someone at DirecTV. But I am going to treat it like a "reporters" source.... I can't say names, positions, roles, ect... as I don't want to jeopardize my contact nor our releationship..

Let's just say, most of the things that make it to the boards... they see. So tell me directly, or posting it here... nets the same results.

They have asked for my "interpretations" of some of the posts sometimes... but they haven't actively seeked me out to do a "whiteboard" session or anything like that.

The definently want a homerun product... but they know a grandslam takes a few solid hits or walks first... and a good inning requires a bunch of hits.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#16 OFFLINE   monkcee

monkcee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:32 AM

Which specific "OnDemand" items are you referring to? As I still have several Tivo based units, and have not seen any "OnDemand" / VOD type items on any of the recievers.

Earl..Check your pay per view picks email from friday, they are advertising a wedding crashers showcase; but my R15 did not get it and my R10 did. This I would think is on demand, although they label it showcase.

WEDDING CRASHERS
DVR customers: Don't miss the sneak preview DVR Showcase for Wedding Crashers today through Sunday. Don't have a DVR? Click here.

D* is trying to sell these machines with functionalities that don't work.

#17 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:00 PM

You can look at these things yourself on channels 581 and 582. It would be nicer to have them as Showcases but at least you dont have to miss anything. The Olympics "Showcase" programs are on channel 731 but you have to go there yourself.

#18 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:24 PM

You can also go to ACTIVE everyday and see their BEST BETS, though that's not what I'd call them.
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300

#19 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:06 PM

In the Active content, it is not the same as whats on channel 731 or in the DirecTiVo's Olympic Showcase.

On my DirecTiVo, in the Showcases there are two Olympic showcases with the same video clips and shows that are on channel 731. With the R-15 there are no Showcases and you have to manually go to channel 731 and select things to record manually.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...