Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Self install not allowed?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CygnusTM

CygnusTM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:20 PM

I ordered a refurb TiVo under the DVR4ME promo. After a couple of days there was no shipping info with the order, so I called them up. I was told that I needed to schedule an install time. I'm just replacing one of my existing receivers, so I don't really need to have it installed. The CSR told me I had to have it installed professionally. I should schedule the install, and the tech would bring the receiver with him. I did that, then a couple of days after that UPS delivered the receiver. So, now it is sitting in a box waiting for the installer on Saturday. Are customers really forbidden from installing/activating their own receivers? I own all of the boxes, so this just seems stupid.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:39 PM

I have had the same problem in the past and have just installed the reciever myself and activated it and then called back and cancelled the installer. If they refuse to cancel then when the installer shows up tell him the reciever is already installed and activated and just sign his paperwork and send him on his way for most installers dont mind this one bit except for the fact that they made a trip for nothing.

#3 OFFLINE   Ken Howe

Ken Howe

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:52 PM

They still get paid.
A woman at a state dinner walks up to Winston Churchill and states "Sir, you are drunk!" :goodjob: Not missing a beat, he retorts, "And you are Ugly, but in the morning, I will wake up sober!" !rolling

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:56 PM

I agree with Mavrick. What is somewhat unique about this promotion is that D* is actually shipping the refurbes via FedEx or UPS to the customer's address. In those cases where it is just a matter of switching the box out for another, no reason you can't do that yourself and activate it. Then just cancel the install.

Most of the time, the units are actually brought by the installers at the time of the install. D* won't ship them to the customer. In those cases, you have no choice but to go the install route.

#5 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:04 PM

Even in the case where the installer brings the recievers alot of them will leave the recievers with you and not do any install if you sign his paperwork saying he did for my brother in law did this for he is like me and does not want most of the installers touching his setup. But this is a case by case situation for some insist on doing the install I had one of these and had to redo all his work after he left for he connected everything wrong. But you will find some that will galdly not do it if you sign his papers saying he did.

#6 OFFLINE   brykc14

brykc14

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:38 PM

When I talk to D this morning told me the same thing, it was not being shipped it was coming by installer always in the past theyve told me no installer in my area but and just shipped it, but this time they say they cant shipped which seems strange!!
Directv 96-99 , Dish Network 99-01, Directv 01- Present

Phillps Series 1 Tivo 1999
Hughes HDR40 2004
R10 2005
R15 2006

#7 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:27 PM

I purchased my R15 at Best Buy and did the install myself, no problems and no questions asked.

#8 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

It makes absoultely no sense that DTv doesn't just allow customers to do it themselves. I mean do they really think that custoers can't unplug a couple of coaxials, some compsite video cables and plug it in. I mean even the most novice user can look at how it is set up in the back before unplugging everything to install the new one. I mean maybe they're installers could start providng better service if they didn't have to waste their time doing minor jobs like this. Yeah right, its gonna take a lot more than that but it certainly wouldn't hurt. I mean why should customers have to schedule an appointment, sit around all day waiting for an installer who might not show, just to have box swapped out. I mean how stupid is that, just FedEx the boxes to customers and be done with it. Sometimes I really wonder....so much of what DTV does makes no sense at all. I want to upgrade to the HD Tivo but there is no way I'm gonna let the DTV instllaers even touch my set up. I bound to be left wth no service or damage to the property if one of their idiots does the install. Why can't they just send it to me damn it and let me do it.

Does anyone think if I talk to the retention dept that they might allow it, or are they just as stubborn about it. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the csr just said yeah no problem I can do that and then after a week an no equipment received at my house, I would call back only to have them tell me that I would have to schedule an install. I don't believe anything those DTV people tell me.

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:10 PM

A lot of it is because, DirecTV doesn't directly "ship" some of the units... They are shipped in bulk to the installers, and they bring it to you.

Most of the time, if you want to do a self install... You simpy have to wait for the installer, and sign the document saying they installed it..... They give you the box, and they are on their merry way.

It is probably a blend between "inventory" control, and wanting to minmize installation service calls.

That New AT9 DISH is a seriously complicated dish... I probably could have figured out how to set it up correctly and all that.... but for me... I just let them do it since it was "included"

But once inside the house, I had already pre-run all the wires... and the installer simply hit the buttons on the remote...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   rabit ears

rabit ears

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:50 PM

I would imagine that the two year commitment and the no self install rule are both in preparation for moving to the lease model. (At least, I hope their management is smart enough to think ahead and work out some of the bugs.)

What's going to be interesting is how they deal with "blended" customers (those with a mixture of owned and leased equipment) and the "early termination" rules that most states imposed on leasing companies after the auto dealers got greedy.

I'm also waiting to see if the two year commitment is two way. I would assume that since I have to pay for TC+ service for two years that D* has to provide that service at the same or lower cost under which the commitment was made.

The next month should be both interesting and fun.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:13 PM

A 2-year commitment does nothing to lock in any specific rate...so price increases for the same package are perfectly legitimate on D*'s part, but of course not wanted by any customers....

;)

#12 OFFLINE   JohnVT

JohnVT

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:11 PM

A 2-year commitment does nothing to lock in any specific rate...so price increases for the same package are perfectly legitimate on D*'s part, but of course not wanted by any customers....

;)

The last time I got new receivers, and a new two year commitment, the package price changes were not applied to me until the two years ended. Actually the monthly bill showed a credit each month when the package price changed until the commitment ended.
Has that changed?

#13 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:54 PM

Yes... during certain price increases, they kept the price consistant (grandfathered them)...

All indications are that this price increase in March, is accross the board... no grandfathering..
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   CygnusTM

CygnusTM

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:43 PM

Update: I hooked up the TiVo last night and was sucessful in calling to activate it, and, just now, I was able to call and cancel the installation.

#15 OFFLINE   kay

kay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:54 PM

I'd take the install if it were me

Protected By... spam firewall...And...