Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirectTV local HD channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gkamer

gkamer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:06 AM

I was under the impression that DirectTV offered local channels in HD without the need for an OTA when you sign up or their HD package....

However, last night while trying to do just that, they had an option to sign up for an OTA for local channels for an additional cost of $49.00. I exited out of the sign up at that point since that was not what I was expecting. And I didn't want to take the chance of getting locked into something I didn't want and not being able to get out of it.

Guess I'll have to call them today and find out what's going on. A friend told me you needed to have that ota with DirectTV and DishTV, but that was not the information I have. Geez, I hate it when there is so much conflicting information going around. Makes you wonder how anything gets done.

Well I'll let you guys know how I make out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:18 AM

Yes and no...

Are you in Washington, "The State" or "DC"

If Washington DC, then no... you don't need OTA... DirecTV does offer the HD Locals via the SAT stream.... You will need an updated reciever (the H20, there is no HD-DVR yet for the HD Local stream), and the updated SAT dish... the AT9-5LNB dish.

If you are in Washingon State... then yes, this would be true... as I don't recall any Washing State Cities that have been converted yet...

As for the extra $49.99.... If it is for an OTA antenna and the installation of it... I recommend going with a local vendor for the antenna, you will get something better.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

Yes and no...

Are you in Washington, "The State" or "DC"

If Washington DC, then no... you don't need OTA... DirecTV does offer the HD Locals via the SAT stream.... You will need an updated reciever (the H20, there is no HD-DVR yet for the HD Local stream), and the updated SAT dish... the AT9-5LNB dish.

Not completely true, Earl. If all you want in HD are your "Big Four" locals (ABC, NBC, CBS AND FOX), then all you need is the AT9. If you want the other locals in HD, you will still need an OTA antenna AS OF RIGHT NOW. While I'm sure D* is in negotiations for carriage of the other local channels that transmit in HD, there has been no word if.when they would be added to the lineup.

If you are in Washingon State... then yes, this would be true... as I don't recall any Washing State Cities that have been converted yet...

Seattle is scheduled to be turned on this spring. I can't remember if it's April or May, however.

As for the extra $49.99.... If it is for an OTA antenna and the installation of it... I recommend going with a local vendor for the antenna, you will get something better.

I would have to agree. Unless you live relatively close to the transmitter and there are no LOS issues, a local installer can tailor the OTA antenna and install to your particluar situation. Just be aware that D* will not touch an OTA antenna instaled by anyone other than their installers. However, also remember that D* installers, no matter how good they may be, are trained in installing SATELLITE dishes, not OTA antennas.

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:08 AM

Not completely true, Earl. If all you want in HD are your "Big Four" locals (ABC, NBC, CBS AND FOX), then all you need is the AT9. If you want the other locals in HD, you will still need an OTA antenna AS OF RIGHT NOW. While I'm sure D* is in negotiations for carriage of the other local channels that transmit in HD, there has been no word if.when they would be added to the lineup.

You are correct, thanks for the "tweaking" of my statement.

I personall use a blend of both OTA and the AT9 MPEG-4 feeds....
Once the HR20 is released, I will probably use the MPEG-4 feeds exclusive for recording options (for the more space, due to compression), but still keep the OTA to access some of the sub-channels and other OTA broadcasts.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

I am in no big rush to get HD thru DirecTV. All I ever hear is how bad the picture is compared to real 1080 and how low the quality of the DirecTV HD signal is 720 at best.

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:26 PM

I am in no big rush to get HD thru DirecTV. All I ever hear is how bad the picture is compared to real 1080 and how low the quality of the DirecTV HD signal is 720 at best.

It is dependent on what your TV can do.... to a degree.

At least for me... the OTA NBC feed, is nearly indisguishable from the MPEG-4 NBC feed ...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

Protected By... spam firewall...And...