Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New customer wants NFL Ticket... What should he do?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:41 AM

Ok, I'm a Dish customer myself, but I have a friend that is looking to sign up for DirecTV and get the NFL Ticket package. Can anyone give some guidance as to what he should do/order? Here's some notes:

1. I guess there are 2 NFL Ticket levels, right? I think he just needs the lesser of the 2.

2. He currently does his own DVR using a PC setup. Depending on what he can do with the DirecTV equipment, he'd probably like to keep this as opposed to going to a DirecTV DVR of some sort. But, he might consider it. Do any of the current DVRs support the ability to archive recorded things off to a PC?

3. Is now the time? Or should he wait for upcoming specials?

4. He'd like to own his equipment -- is that still possible? Or is it lease only at this point?

5. Local town is Mount Pleasant, Michigan (48858). Our DMA is Flint/Saginaw.

6. He'd like to do 2-3 rooms most likely.

Thanks for any tips/guidance on this!

- John...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:03 AM

#1, there are a few levels. but yes, there are basically just 2 core levels
#2: As of right now, no... unless he hacks one of the older DTivo units
#3: There are good specials out there now... if a better one comes up over the year, he could just call and talk to customer service.
#4: If he buys now... After March, it may be more expensive or costly to do so.
#5: I don't know if locals are availabe in that town
#6: That shouldn't be an issue
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:04 PM

1) and the two levels are truly dependant upon the need for HD
2) Earl is right. Unless your friend is looking to rip from the recording drive of an older DVR, recording archival cannot be done.
3) only up to your friend. However, this goes hand in hand with....
4) DirecTV is switching to a lease-only model after 1 March. Your friend will most likely not be able to own his own equipment after 1 March.
5) Yes, locals are available for Flint/Saginaw
6) Amount of rooms/receivers are good anywhere up to about 8 receivers; less if DVR's are involved. It shouldn't be an issue.

#4 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:15 PM

From what I have heard is that you can still purchase and own your own equipment after March 1 but supposdly it will be more expensive. I have also heard that supposdly after March 1 if you want to own your equipment the only way to do so is to buy it directly from D*. I dont know how true this is though maybe Earl can shed some more light on it.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:24 PM

I don't know any more about other then what has been posted in the forums. But the way those posts go....

You will still be able to purchase your equipment, but they are not making it very easy for you to do so.

Hopefully when March gets closer we will get some more details.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:30 PM

1) and the two levels are truly dependant upon the need for HD

Not necessarily, unless I'm mis-interpreting the ST plans - I'm considering getting ST next season but I want the game mix channels. It's my understanding that only comes with Super Fan, right?

#7 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:30 PM

Great info -- thanks all.

Ok -- so if he decides to sign up very soon (i.e. before March 1st) and own his own equipment -- should he go through DirecTV directly? Or is there some incentive to going with a local or online reseller?

Also, is there any referral system that he should be aware of either to help out a friend or even himself? Something like ClubDish where it would be to his advantage to have someone refer him? Or no?

Thanks again.

- John...

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:38 PM

DirecTV does have a referal program... not sure of the link though.... check DirecTV.com

As going directly through DirecTV or a retailer.... they both have their pros and cons. i would just go with whom ever offers him the best package.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#9 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:48 PM

Not necessarily, unless I'm mis-interpreting the ST plans - I'm considering getting ST next season but I want the game mix channels. It's my understanding that only comes with Super Fan, right?

I did manage to forget that the interactive Game Mix channels are in the Super Fan package. Last year, there wasn't really a receiver that could address the interactivity too well. That is supposed to change this year. However, with the Red Zone channels, it is just as easy to see as an overview any team that is on a scoring drive. I used them quite a bit last year.

#10 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:13 PM

I did manage to forget that the interactive Game Mix channels are in the Super Fan package. Last year, there wasn't really a receiver that could address the interactivity too well. That is supposed to change this year. However, with the Red Zone channels, it is just as easy to see as an overview any team that is on a scoring drive. I used them quite a bit last year.

Yeah, but with Game Mix you can actually watch eight games at once. That's pretty damn cool if you ask me...I wish they'd do that for the other sports packages as well.

#11 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:14 PM

Also remember that for the past year only FOX games were on the Red Zone. No CBS. Also if you are looking at HD, all FOX games are broadcast in HD but not all CBS games. Bites if your team happens to be an AFC team or playing an AFC team that is broadcast on CBS.

Since the OP is in the "middle of the mitten" he must be a Lions fan!!!! If there are any of us poor foolish soles left.

Oh, also, FIRE Millen!!!!

#12 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

Yeah, but with Game Mix you can actually watch eight games at once. That's pretty damn cool if you ask me...I wish they'd do that for the other sports packages as well.

They are doing it this year for NCAA Mega March Madness (as well as for the Olympics). Since both MMM and NFL ST are exclusive to D*, I wonder if they will be the only two they'll offer, or if this is only a start.

#13 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:11 PM

So they're doing a MIX for MMM? Cool.

#14 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:35 AM

Since the OP is in the "middle of the mitten" he must be a Lions fan!!!! If there are any of us poor foolish soles left.

Oh, also, FIRE Millen!!!!

Actually, he's a move-in -- he's a Bears fan from Chicago. Although, he still agrees with your Millen comment, of course. :)

Thanks for the info, everyone. He's now just trying to decide if he really needs to commit to the NFL Ticket -- or if he'd be better off to go with Dish and just get Fox out of Chicago as a distant network. He really doesn't want all the games -- just as many as the Bears games that he can. If he went that route, he'd get all of the Bears games except for the few AFC ones that would be on CBS (which we can't get as a distant here).

- John...

#15 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:16 AM

They are doing it this year for NCAA Mega March Madness (as well as for the Olympics). Since both MMM and NFL ST are exclusive to D*, I wonder if they will be the only two they'll offer, or if this is only a start.

If they're running a MIX channel for Mega March Madness, I think I'm going to have to fork over the $79 or whatever it is and order it...

Now all we need is for them to allow you to customize the MIX channels that are already there... :)

#16 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:24 PM

Every year since i've had DTV, they offered the TCP package free when you get the sunday ticket. If he can wait until August that may work for him. Got me hooked and i'm TCP'er to this day.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...