Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Lost Lock" Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hortonjr

hortonjr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:14 PM

I have an "interesting" problem that is starting to happen every few days with one of my two 921's (it's never happened on the other, older box). The problem happens when coming out of inactivity mode (using the machine for the first time that day). The machine reports a "lost lock" message on all satellite channels (both birds), but the OTA tuner works fine. Most of the time a soft reboot fixes the issue, but only if the soft reboot is followed immediately with a power-off, power-on cycle. Sometimes it takes two reboots to restore operation. You always have to "flash" the power off and then back on, either via remote or the front panel button, before the satellite channels return. I had the issue frequently a few months ago, then it seemed to disappear, only to return again this past week or so. Any thoughts?

Bob

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Howe

Ken Howe

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:16 PM

sell the 921s and get some newer VIP equipment... lol. ^_^
A woman at a state dinner walks up to Winston Churchill and states "Sir, you are drunk!" :goodjob: Not missing a beat, he retorts, "And you are Ugly, but in the morning, I will wake up sober!" !rolling

#3 OFFLINE   hortonjr

hortonjr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:35 PM

:)

#4 OFFLINE   bobr

bobr

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:40 PM

The same thing has been happening with my 921 for the last week.
Sometimes 3 birds sometimes just one.
I set a timer to record Vegas on statelite last night (I was recording something else on OTA tuner) and had no sound.
Changed channels and nothing on any channel except for OTA.
I ordered a vip 622 on 2/1 install scheduled for 3/7. Hopefully the 622 will show up before long before my 921 goes belly up.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:07 PM

Do a signal strength check (Menu 6,2). Usually when I check the signal strenght of the OTA tuner I get a quick "getting info. from satellite" message. That usually kicks the satellite tuners back without having to reboot.

Sometimes I get only one out of the two satellite tuners working. I have a DishPro system so it may have something to do with getting the correct signal over the cable. Again the OTA tuner SS meter does wonders! You can also try a "check switch", however be csure you actually have signal (i.e. no "snow fade"). Inerrupted signals cause probelms. When I moved I mounted my dishes on 8' poles so I could have access to them should wet snow cover them. I also put them under the eaves which has protected them. Now if only I can find the right cement to make the poles stay put in windy weather.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   hortonjr

hortonjr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

Thanks! I'll try that next time (which I'm sure will be soon) :)

Bob

#7 OFFLINE   mastruck

mastruck

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:28 AM

Does anyone know what causes this problem. It comes and goes on my 921 all the time. I thought it might be a bad cable - had them replaced. Then I thought it was a bad DishPro switch and had it replaced. Now it sounds like it is has been a faulty 921 design all the time...

Will it ever be fixed?

#8 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:03 AM

Does anyone know what causes this problem. It comes and goes on my 921 all the time. I thought it might be a bad cable - had them replaced. Then I thought it was a bad DishPro switch and had it replaced. Now it sounds like it is has been a faulty 921 design all the time...

Will it ever be fixed?

Probably just another 921 problem.

I saw this on one of my 921's over the weekend. Power-Button and Power cord reboots did not get it back (though I didn't try a power cycle right after the reboot).

Eventually had to boot it up with the sat disconnected and then do a switch check (I've needed to do this before).

May never get fixed. I doubt the 921 is very high on Dish's list. I have a feeling E* will eventually give us a VERY strong motivation to upgrade these. Sooner they get them all in the trash, sooner they can cap-off the money pit.
Bye Bye 921
Now playing with 2x 622s.

spam firewall