Jump to content


Welcome to DBSTalk


Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends
 
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

7 to 10 days, got yours yet?


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
169 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   politico31

politico31

    Cool Member

  • Registered
  • 25 posts
Joined: Dec 09, 2005

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:53 PM

I've been reading a lot of threads, but so far I have not seen anyone mention a delivery of a 622. My CSR said expect delivery shipment in 7 to 10 days. Nada so far. Has anyone received their receiver yet? Lots of rumors, but sure not much definitive info as yet!:scratch:
Fiat Fermentum!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 1,576 posts
Joined: Jan 16, 2006

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:54 PM

no receiver here, I as told by the CSR that the installer will deliver the VIP622
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#3 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

    Icon

  • Registered
  • 615 posts
Joined: Jun 30, 2005

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:32 PM

It's because it ain't gonna happen. They are delayed just like it was speculated prior to the release date. Looks like a whole bunch of hype to me.

#4 OFFLINE   Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 1,266 posts
Joined: Apr 22, 2002

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

My best advice is we are about 14 days away. But this is where speculation, or some say competition,:nono2: can kill the messenger. No matter who he is, no matter where he resides. I would think, that any delay is related to software and ensuring for durability. Come on, is there anyone here who thinks differently. So what if there is a delay, I would think if I was getting ready to fork out the money allot are, I would want a Mercedes, not a Yugo. So please, please, do what ever is needed to get me my Mercedes. I can wait a few extra days. Geez folks, it is only hard earned money you are talking about. What do you want? Instant gratification, or, a receiver with long term reliability and, maybe a few extras. Patience pays off in the end.:)

#5 OFFLINE   IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan

    Godfather

  • Registered
  • 270 posts
Joined: Jan 11, 2006

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:45 PM

Geez folks, it is only hard earned money you are talking about. What do you want? Instant gratification, or, a receiver with long term reliability and, maybe a few extras.


I want both :D

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

    Excellent Adventurer

  • Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC
Joined: Jan 07, 2005

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

IF it is a hardware issue, then I would say wait and release when it is ready because hardware is much more difficult to "fix" in the field.

BUT, if it is software that they can update remotely... then what's the point in delaying the shipment of the hardware when they are already charging people the $299 when they take the order?

IF the $299 wasn't charged, then I would say wait and charge + ship when ready... but if they are making the customers who order pay now, then ship them a box now.

I'm still debating which way to upgrade, so I haven't ordered yet... but I can understand people who already paid a chunk of change getting antsy.

#7 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 2,010 posts
Joined: Feb 07, 2006

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:39 PM

.... I can wait a few extra days. Geez folks, it is only hard earned money you are talking about. What do you want? Instant gratification, or, a receiver with long term reliability and, maybe a few extras. Patience pays off in the end.:)


How long you are willing to wait is generally based on your current situation. I have been wanting to upgrade to HD for a good while now. If I was going to do that, I might as well do DVR at the same time. While mulling over the high cost of a 921 the news breaks about the 622 and the new transmission format, basically making it a stupid move to acquire an available receiver/DVR at that point. So, I waited until 2-1 and ordered a 622. I was given a 2-25 install date and so far it has not been rescheduled. But, I also have not received the 7-10 day receiver delivery.

Anyway, at this point I WANT HD. I have waited long enough. Being in the software business, I am accustom to working with things that are not perfect. I would greatly prefer to get my system installed now and enjoy HD while putting up with the software bugs while they are worked out. They will get it right sooner or later.:) If you currently have an HD/DVR system I can understand your desire to wait. But, I don't!

#8 OFFLINE   Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 1,266 posts
Joined: Apr 22, 2002

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:43 PM

Then again, I say patience will pay off, and before the end of the month. My friends, you waited this long, can you just hold out a little longer. It will be worth it.

#9 OFFLINE   Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 1,266 posts
Joined: Apr 22, 2002

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:47 PM

As far as who brings it, Dow Electronics is where allot of dealers get their supply from. So when the magic time comes, will it make more sense for your dealer to get it from Dow, or for Dish to ship it will all depend on your install date. A friend of mine, who is a dealer, naughty guy, said that some feel the units are shipping to the warehouses, some say none have left. I really don't know, but I will say this again, wait, wait, it will be worth it. Regardless of what you may hear.

#10 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 2,010 posts
Joined: Feb 07, 2006

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:06 PM

I forgot to add, I placed the 622 order about 9:00am on 2-1 but the $299 charge did not quickly appear on my credit card account. It did show up today, so I am taking that as a good sign. Maybe my credit card company is just slow in processing charges...or maybe it just shipped...(well I can hope can't I?).

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

    Ready for Uplink!

  • Super Moderators
  • 39,584 posts
Joined: Apr 17, 2003

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:16 PM

IF it is a hardware issue, then I would say wait and release when it is ready because hardware is much more difficult to "fix" in the field.

BUT, if it is software that they can update remotely... then what's the point in delaying the shipment of the hardware when they are already charging people the $299 when they take the order?

Let's say I was a manufacturer introducing a new 7" screen Internet enabled iPod. Being internet enabled it ships with just enough software to download the real application.

The design works. I've taken it to trade shows and shown it off. And I've set a target to sell it - but something comes up.

If it is a hardware issue could be a real pain. It is best when a unit leaves QC at the factory and remains untouched. Assembly lines are designed to take parts and funnel them efficiently into a whole. Fixes are rarely efficient. It would probably be better to play leapfrog and get the next batch out of the factory to the dealers and customers *IF* it were a hardware issue. As long as the factory starts cranking out good ones I would not let a hardware issue holding shipment.

If it's a software issue I have a different pain. Do I ship them but refuse to let people download the 'real application' so their new toy has to sit in the box or do I let them download a sorta working 'real application' and live with the bugs? First impressions are important. Say it was a major problem - such as a flickering and rolling display. Would I want the first customers getting units with such a glitch? Would you want the first reviews to have the line "once they get it working"?

Nope. I'd probably hold back in either case. No 7" iPod for anyone until I'm sure the experience will be positive. A tough decision.

The catastrophic issue would be finding out after tweaking the software for a few weeks that the problem is in the hardware. If my iPods were still in the warehouse I could still fix them. If I'd sent them out I would have to do a recall. It's obvious that holding back my iPods until I was sure I had it right would be better.

I don't know how this relates to E* ... but that's what I would do if I were making 7" iPods (other than being sued by Apple for using their trade mark).

#12 OFFLINE   DAG

DAG

    Legend

  • Registered
  • 224 posts
Joined: Feb 07, 2006

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:27 PM

My story:

Ordered 2/1 at 7:00 AM EST
Told it would ship to me in 7-10 days as specially authorized by a supervisor.
Credit charge charge already shows on my credit card account.

Called Customer service today;

Call #1- CSR with mediocre English skills. Not shipped yet, will be brought by installer, "we won't ship it because it is too fragile to set up" Must be "professionally installed". What about the special authorization I received to ship first when I ordered it? "We're sorry, we never ship the units first". Install date is still 2/25. But I want to be able to watch the Olypmpics in HD.....

Call #2 1 minute later- CSR who spoke English better. "Hold on..." "It is in transit and you should have it in 7-10 days." Still scheduled for "professional installation" on 2/25.

Now I know what you guys mean about CSR roulette. I know no more now than before I called the first rep today.

BTW, will I get component cables with the install? I need an extra set since I will be adding a signal sensing component video switch. Or should I just go buy a decent set since the 622 ones are crappy quality....

#13 OFFLINE   csschrot

csschrot

    Cool Member

  • Registered
  • 28 posts
Joined: May 01, 2003

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:33 PM

Well I talked to my sales rep in Denver Echo and they only plan on getting 40 or so in the first shipment. Also echo in Chicgo is normally the first to get any. I say you will be well into March before anything with decent numbers happens to ship. It won't be anywhere close to the 10,000 I read in another post a week or so ago here.

#14 OFFLINE   Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 1,266 posts
Joined: Apr 22, 2002

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

Well I talked to my sales rep in Denver Echo and they only plan on getting 40 or so in the first shipment. Also echo in Chicgo is normally the first to get any. I say you will be well into March before anything with decent numbers happens to ship. It won't be anywhere close to the 10,000 I read in another post a week or so ago here.



Yep.

#15 OFFLINE   sunfire01

sunfire01

    AllStar

  • Registered
  • 85 posts
Joined: Feb 06, 2006

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:45 PM

Just called dish to confirm they are shipping my 622, and the CSR said yes it will be here in 7-10 days!!???

Cross your fingers, Jason

#16 OFFLINE   scooby2

scooby2

    AllStar

  • Registered
  • 59 posts
Joined: Nov 29, 2005

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

No non-beta firmware spooling yet but I think the hardware would be in warehouses if there wasnt a hardware issue as well. My local rep said the first shipment is supposed to go out Friday but its not a lot for the whole country. Maybe 250 people or so will get lucky. Most of us will get to wait. His best guess was late February or March. My install was moved from 2/17 to 2/27 with potential to slide more.

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

    Excellent Adventurer

  • Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC
Joined: Jan 07, 2005

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

No non-beta firmware spooling yet but I think the hardware would be in warehouses if there wasnt a hardware issue as well. My local rep said the first shipment is supposed to go out Friday but its not a lot for the whole country. Maybe 250 people or so will get lucky. Most of us will get to wait. His best guess was late February or March. My install was moved from 2/17 to 2/27 with potential to slide more.


I suppose its possible that they could have an issue that they aren't sure if it is hardware or software... and while they might *think* it is software, until they get it working they don't want to have a bunch of hardware in the field that they might not be able to fix.

Mind you this is rampant speculation on my part as I have no secret inner knowledge nor have I placed an order for anything myself just yet. I'm still sitting on the fence.

The only part I can really chime in on is... if I had ordered and already been charged the $299, I completely understand those folks having a problem if their install date gets pushed out. I wouldn't be a happy camper if I were paying for something that I wasn't sure when I was going to get it.... so I understand that complaint.

#18 OFFLINE   bluewolverine

bluewolverine

    AllStar

  • Registered
  • 53 posts
Joined: Jan 21, 2006

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

Let's say I was a manufacturer introducing a new 7" screen Internet enabled iPod. Being internet enabled it ships with just enough software to download the real application.

The design works. I've taken it to trade shows and shown it off. And I've set a target to sell it - but something comes up.

....

The catastrophic issue would be finding out after tweaking the software for a few weeks that the problem is in the hardware. If my iPods were still in the warehouse I could still fix them. If I'd sent them out I would have to do a recall. It's obvious that holding back my iPods until I was sure I had it right would be better.

I don't know how this relates to E* ... but that's what I would do if I were making 7" iPods (other than being sued by Apple for using their trade mark).


I'd say you made a perfectly sound case for delaying shipment of what I would estimate to be the thousands of orders for the 622 that Dish has taken. However, I cannot imagine anything that justifies the company taking funds from thousands of people in advance, probably well in advance, perhaps weeks in advance, of sending one single box out the door. Can anyone?

Where I come from, there IS a term for this kind of business practice and it's not fair trade ;) :rolleyes:. And btw, the practice is neither illegal nor is it against any merchant agreement with the credit card issuers. I checked.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

    Ready for Uplink!

  • Super Moderators
  • 39,584 posts
Joined: Apr 17, 2003

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:37 PM

I'm no lawyer, but what is being paid is a 'lease upgrade fee' - it's not listed as the purchase of any equipment or service - it is just a fee for upgrading to a 622 lease.

I'm also curious just how many 622s have been requested by customers. Never forget that we live in a bubble of technology buffs. Many on the bleeding edge. We're not typical subscribers.

#20 OFFLINE   ronjohn

ronjohn

    Cool Member

  • Registered
  • 16 posts
Joined: Feb 02, 2006

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:40 PM

Even if it is a "Lease Upgrade Fee", I have not been upgraded yet. Also, the CSR said they would put a $1 hold on my card and charge the $299 when it was installed. I'm not super excited because hopefully I will have mine before I have to pay the CC company, but it is not a very professional way of doing business.




spam firewall