Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Serial control of receiver?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:53 PM

Do any of the DirecTV receiver support channel changing via a serial port? I have a friend with a custom DVR unit via his PC that he's been using to control his Charter cable (which does have a serial port that allows him to change channels). He's looking to switch to DirecTV, but would like to keep using his PC-based DVR setup. Therefore, what he really wants is a standard DirecTV receiver where he can change the channels via serial from his PC.

(He could go with an infra-red USB device of some sort to change the channels, but would rather do it via serial if possible.)

Do any of the D* receiver support this?

- John...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

The D10, D10-200 and the H10 all are current receivers that have a serial (low speed data) port. Some of the later RCA and Hughes models have serial ports, also, and can be found on eBay. There may be more, but I can't think which ones they would be at this time.

#3 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

And that serial port does allow channel control? Others are using it? Or is it just that you know there is a data port there, but it is undocumented?

Thanks! Just want to confirm that he can use it before I tell him so. :)

- John...

#4 OFFLINE   DTC mac

DTC mac

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:05 PM

The latest firmware upgrade to D-10-200 restored serial control that was previously disabled via firmware.

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:00 PM

I have a Tivo w/DVD Burner connected to a D10 receiver and use the serial port to control the channel changes for Tivo recording. Also, I use the Tivo remote to change the channels when viewing, with the Tivo utilizing the serial connection to execute the channel changes on the D10 receiver.

spam firewall