Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What would happen if....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rlambert7

rlambert7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:30 PM

Let's say you set up to record channels 2 & 4 at 5pm. At 3pm you were watching Ch 5, and and 4pm you turned off the TV. Would channels 2 & 4 record at 5pm?

I know some posters have posted LONG lists of what they consider to be problems and have offered some improvements. I must say that, even though I've only be a DirecTV and DVR user for a couple of weeks, I have come across most of what these posters have listed, and I think I agree with most of their suggested improvements. I have not seen anyone mention the following, though.

I'll again use my example of setting channels 2 & 4 to record at 5pm. This time, though, I am watching Ch 2 just before 5pm. In that case I will get a "warning" at 4:55pm that the DVR must change to Ch 4, and I must "go there" or the recording for Ch 4 will be cancelled. On the other hand if I am watching Ch 4 just before 5pm, at 4:55pm it will say I must "go" to Ch 2, or the recording for Ch 2 will be cancelled. Huh!? Seems that if I have set up to record Ch 2 and Ch 4 at 5pm, as long as I was already on one of those two channels just before 5pm the DVR should be OK with that. It should only warn me if I was not on either of those two channels, and then, in that case, it should say I must change to Ch 2 or Ch 4, and give me a choice of which one to go to, or which one to cancel if I don't want to go to either of the two.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:55 AM

Let's say you set up to record channels 2 & 4 at 5pm. At 3pm you were watching Ch 5, and and 4pm you turned off the TV. Would channels 2 & 4 record at 5pm?

It should but to make sure put the R15 in standby. There seems to be a timeout period for the unit where if a button has been pressed on the remote in the last X mins that it assumes you are still there but no one has figured out what that time is yet. (really wish it didn't have it at all)

I'll again use my example of setting channels 2 & 4 to record at 5pm. This time, though, I am watching Ch 2 just before 5pm. In that case I will get a "warning" at 4:55pm that the DVR must change to Ch 4, and I must "go there" or the recording for Ch 4 will be cancelled. On the other hand if I am watching Ch 4 just before 5pm, at 4:55pm it will say I must "go" to Ch 2, or the recording for Ch 2 will be cancelled. Huh!? Seems that if I have set up to record Ch 2 and Ch 4 at 5pm, as long as I was already on one of those two channels just before 5pm the DVR should be OK with that. It should only warn me if I was not on either of those two channels, and then, in that case, it should say I must change to Ch 2 or Ch 4, and give me a choice of which one to go to, or which one to cancel if I don't want to go to either of the two.

This all depends on what channel the other tuner is recording. If the other tuner is also on channel 2 and was recording something at 4:30 but you are flipping channels before 5 and come back to channel 2 it seems the R15 doesn't flip to that tuner that is already recording it stays on the tuner it's already on.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

This is one distinct advantage of having two selectable, viewable, (buffered) tuners. On my R10, if I have two simultaneous channels set to record at the same time, I will only get a warning message for the specific tuner I am currently watching if it is on a different channel than what is scheduled to record. The other tuner will change automatically. If I do not respond to the warning, it will change automatically (about 1 minute ahead I think).

Definately smoother and more efficient than the R15's approach (even if it worked properly). I too have suffered the R15's need to change 5 minutes ahead, and at least once a problem where one of the requested shows didn't record. Yuck!

Carl

#4 OFFLINE   kb9vrg

kb9vrg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:19 AM

Based on my experience, if you put the unit into standby by pressing the power button on the remote or on the faceplate of the unit, then the two tuners would indeed tune to the proper channels.

The only issue I see with recording two programs is when one is watching "Live" programming; then the unit will want to change channels 5 minutes beforehand. If the unit is in standby or displaying a previously recorded program, the tuning will behave as one would expect it too -- again, in my experience, and record both scheduled programs.

#5 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:52 AM

Based on my experience, if you put the unit into standby by pressing the power button on the remote or on the faceplate of the unit, then the two tuners would indeed tune to the proper channels.

The only issue I see with recording two programs is when one is watching "Live" programming; then the unit will want to change channels 5 minutes beforehand. If the unit is in standby or displaying a previously recorded program, the tuning will behave as one would expect it too -- again, in my experience, and record both scheduled programs.

This should definitely be classified as a bug IMHO - it should automatically tune to what you have it set to record, UNLESS you cancel it when asked. If you do nothing, it should change the channel and record what was already set...

#6 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:54 AM

This should definitely be classified as a bug IMHO - it should automatically tune to what you have it set to record, UNLESS you cancel it when asked. If you do nothing, it should change the channel and record what was already set...

I agree, this is a bug.

#7 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:57 PM

I think Earl said that they know about the 5 minute thing and that it was a messup and wasn't supposed to be like that, I think he also said it's being fixed.

#8 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

Hopefully it will be change from 5 min. to 1 minute like the TIVO boxes for that just makes more sense to me.

#9 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:08 PM

Hopefully it will be change from 5 min. to 1 minute like the TIVO boxes for that just makes more sense to me.

The amount of time isn't the problem, it's the fact that it won't change channels unless you tell it to that's the problem. It should change the channel by default unless you tell it to cancel the recording, not the other way around...

#10 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

I agree totally with that I was just refering to the fact that when it prompts you and you tell it yes 5 minutes ahead of time it goes ahead and change the channel then even though you still have a few more minutes before it absolutely has to be changed which is kind of annoying when you are trying to watch the end of a show. and miss the last few minutes because it had to change channels that early.

#11 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:34 PM

Actually mine works perfectly fine with changing channels on it's own. I let the banner sit there when the time comes it changes channel and the banner goes away. Thats one of the things that bothers me some people have issues and others don't.

spam firewall