Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I tv Formerly Pax Tv ends on Directv 2/28/06

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LMckin

LMckin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

I tv formerly Pax tv ends on Directv february 28,2006

http://www.directv.c...anding/pax.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:08 PM

Cool. About time they start dumping the "info" channels.

#3 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:18 PM

A worthless channel. A waste of space on DirecTV. That is bad enough. But its chain of OTA UHF affiliates are so very much a waste of a much more limited resouce. No infomercial networks should be permited to operate OTA in places where all of the legitimate networks are not available.

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:19 PM

Heh, they list WQPX from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton even though they never even carried it as a local channel for the market.

#5 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:29 PM

A worthless channel. A waste of space on DirecTV. That is bad enough. But its chain of OTA UHF affiliates are so very much a waste of a much more limited resouce. No infomercial networks should be permited to operate OTA in places where all of the legitimate networks are not available.

The thing is, PAX/i wasn't always an informercial station, they used to be a network that had a full programming schedule with content that was safe for the entire family to watch. Which was why D* picked them up at first and they expanded to many smaller markets. I remember for a while when they first launched, they used to air the old Super Mario Bros. cartoon on their old PAX Kids block on Sunday mornings. Oddly enough, they now have a new version of PAX TV which operates on the .2 subchannel for most of their digital markets. This version has the same primetime schedule as i, but the rest of the day has some classic sticoms, game shows, movies, and no infomercials. What they should have done was made this new "PAX TV" their main channel.

#6 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

Its a shame what its become, KPPX 51 is the highest powered station in my area at 5 megawatts

#7 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:35 PM

Heh, they list WQPX from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton even though they never even carried it as a local channel for the market.

I don't believe KFPX Des Moines, KPXR Cedar Rapids, or WTPX Wausau have ever been carried, either.

#8 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:33 AM

Why wait until the 28th? Get rid of that pig now!

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#9 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:41 AM

The only problem with losing that channel here in metro Atlanta is that the local i/PAX affliate broadcasts select Atlanta Thrashers/Atlanta Hawks games. But hopefully with the creation of the CW network on the UPN local station, the soon-to-be former WB affiliate will pick up the OTA rights for these teams.

#10 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:46 AM

Now thats gone how about the other 10-20 useless channels with "paid programming" running 95% of the time and only 2-3 actual shows.

#11 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:23 AM

I thought the new I network was supposed to start airing classic TV shows from the 50s and 60s in their lineups and not so much paid programming.

It is ridiculous to have paid programs all day and game show reruns at night. Then more paid programming all night long. A waste of bandwidth on Directv for sure!

#12 OFFLINE   midnight75

midnight75

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:30 AM

Now thats gone how about the other 10-20 useless channels with "paid programming" running 95% of the time and only 2-3 actual shows.

Don't forget the shopping channels & the TV Guide channel. More waste of bandwith right there.

I hope they add something good in it's place.

I wonder if we can expect to see I TV slamming DirecTV on their website, like Lifetime did with Dish Network.
'It's time to play the feud!'
Richard Dawson

#13 OFFLINE   steveymac

steveymac

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:00 AM

the TV GUide channel isn't a waste of space... they have some neat shows, like TV Watercooler, and their Red Carpet Shows...
I think that Directv Should get rid of some of the religious channels they have, did you all notice that two more were added...NRB and TCT...I say get rid of some of these channels, and add the pentegon channel, Dish has it why can't Directv...

#14 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:51 AM

D* actually gets commission from the sales of those other paid programming channels and shopping channels, so unfortunately, those won't be going away anytime soon.

I thought the new I network was supposed to start airing classic TV shows from the 50s and 60s in their lineups and not so much paid programming.

The plan was actually for the new PAX TV to have them, which is available on the .2 subchannel for most digital OTA i/PAX stations.

I hope they add something good in it's place.

Rumor has it that both Sleuth and BET Jazz will be added in March.

I think that Directv Should get rid of some of the religious channels they have, did you all notice that two more were added...NRB and TCT...I say get rid of some of these channels, and add the pentegon channel, Dish has it why can't Directv...

D* has to carry a certain ammount of PI (Public Interest) channels, whether we like it or not. That's why they have all of those religious and not for profit channels that almost no one watches.

#15 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:10 PM

Rumor has it that both Sleuth and BET Jazz will be added in March.

And hopefully SportsNet NY as well...

#16 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

D* actually gets commission from the sales of those other paid programming channels and shopping channels, so unfortunately, those won't be going away anytime soon.

how do the sales channels know i have directv vs got it OTA vs cable? who gets commission for ota?

#17 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:27 PM

The shopping channels usually ask how you are recieving the channel when setting up an account with them. As for paid programming, they get the money ahead of time when the seller buys the air time. As for channels that air paid programming 24/7 like Celebrity Shopping (239), Direct Shopping (340), and TV Superstore (341) the money goes to the that station, which passes some of it on to the providers that carry them. For paid programming blocks programmed by D* on channels 227, 238, and sometimes 341, the money goes directly to D*.

As for i/PAX, D* wasn't getting anything for the many hours of paid programming, as it was originally a general family entertainment station when they originally signed the deal to carry them, which was one of the main reasons why they are dropping it.

#18 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:30 PM

give its spot to BBC World i say.

#19 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:57 PM

[quote name='KyL416']

The plan was actually for the new PAX TV to have them, which is available on the .2 subchannel for most digital OTA i/PAX stations.
[QUOTE]

Then they should carry the .2 subchannel programming vs. what they've go now. It is pathetic. Do local Pax stations have no identity that they couldn't carry other shows in addition to the I channel evening shows??

#20 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:14 PM

Then they should carry the .2 subchannel programming vs. what they've go now. It is pathetic. Do local Pax stations have no identity that they couldn't carry other shows in addition to the I channel evening shows??

Some pax stations carried some local sports like Atlanta's, some partnered with smaller networks like Urban America TV for the hours when it was nothing but informercials, but most of them just stuck to the national scheudle that Pax/i was giving them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...