Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

There is software for 622!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:39 PM

I am a 921 customer and though I understand you point I personally don't agree with it. I am definitely not going down the road of what Beta means.. ;) That was covered in another thread a few days back.

Ron Agreed but the reason why so many 921 users feel they are beta testers is because, IMO, the 921 beta program was completely inadequate. as in - major bugs were not found and many that were were ignored by the developer as they released the software to the masses. The entire beta program for the 2 years was just completely an open ended non-scientific social experiment in finding how much a developer can annoy its early adopter users to the point of breakdown.

From some of the insider reports I had about mid way through the history of the 921, official beta testers were also being ignored and left in surprise as releases they thought weren't ready were streamed and at other times a release was streamed that never even saw the beta team. It was a disaster and the problems we users had shows it. Most of the official bugs were discovered by the user base, not the official beta testers as it pertained to the OTA channels and that reason was simple- E* had a completel;y inadequate beta test team where most of the testers were all in two broadcast markets, the alpha team in England. That was the reason why it was a disaster! They should have had a beta test site in at minimum each of the top 20 Broadcast markets to see the range of issues we users all uncovered and, ... I said this all along but too many on this forum felt I was picking on Mark and quickly advised me he was a nice guy. Sheesh, I'm sure Mark is and was a nice guy but that has nothing to do with his not being in every major broadcast city to test. He could only physically be in Denver and that was true whether he was a nice guy or a complete bafoon. Many people just didn't get it. Every user out there is quite justified as thinking of themselves as on a lifelong beta team for E*. That can change when E* is able to release product that comes with a known and complete list of operational issues we can find no more. What they do, however, is release software that has no list of known issues and thereby is considered perfect. Then the users discover otherwise and that leads to a feeling the ones running the hardware development and testing are all bafoons!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:47 PM

From what I understand, E* has done a better job on the 622. There will always be hiccups as the first 'real users' try to do things that the beta testers had not dreamed of doing. There will also be non-critical things to fix and new features to add as they are developed. E* still does software releases on it's older receivers from time to time as needed. Receiver software is never 'finished' - it is only 'ready'.

#23 OFFLINE   conner65

conner65

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:43 PM

From what I understand, E* has done a better job on the 622. There will always be hiccups as the first 'real users' try to do things that the beta testers had not dreamed of doing. There will also be non-critical things to fix and new features to add as they are developed. E* still does software releases on it's older receivers from time to time as needed. Receiver software is never 'finished' - it is only 'ready'.

I hope they have done a better job with the 622. The 921 was not "ready" for at least a year. Talk to anyone that had to deal with video jitters for several months. It still has a stuck aspect ratio problem and still misses recordings. I was a loyal dish supporter until I was treated like a second class customer. I have spent hours on the phone with knuckled headed CSR's until I just was about ready to put a bullet in my head. Now I am asked to send in one of my 921's for a better receiver that I won't own and I have to pay a leasing fee and I am still stuck with my second 921. I definitely don't recommend dish to my friends anymore. Dish does not take care of their best customers.
GO FALCONS!
directtv Genie

#24 OFFLINE   UTFAN

UTFAN

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:18 PM

It is a "tongue in cheek" comment. As 921 owners We have had to endure a lot of bugs and I feel are the ones who have received the least consideration from Dish.

DISH did swap out our 921 twice, third unit was the charm but after two years, continuing issues, and we were one of the early adaptors who spent a grand on the darn thing.

And progress or not, I still don't understand why we have to turn it in if we want "HD-The Next Generation.":nono:

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:31 PM

You don't have to turn it in to get a new HD box. You only have to turn it in if you want $200. If you have another use for it you can keep your 921.

#26 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:04 AM

JL- has summed it up folks. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you find your archived recordings on your 921 to be worth $200 to keep, then don't send it in. If you find that your salvage value of electronic parts is worth more than $200, don't turn it in. If you think using it for an SD and existing HD only receiver (MP2) for then next several years is a better deal then don't turn it in. One thing is certain, if you decide to keep your owned 921, then it's use will be limited to existing HD channels only and sometime in the future, only SD as all HD channels will be off MP2. At some point the $200 deal will be over and your 921 will be worth scrap heap price. Look at it like this, you own an old car that has trade in value for a car that that will run on the new gasoline. Your present car only runs on special gasoline that soon won't be sold. You can either lease the new car or buy it but the lease is less money and your trade in value of your owned car is fairly good. I traded in an older car for a leased vehicle once. This is no different except for the fact that the 622 is the only model being sold / leased. Then again you can switch to DirecTV, Cable, or stay with OTA only as your options.
Frankly, as critical as I've been on E* in the past year, I have to say, they seem to be doing this deal right for a change.

#27 OFFLINE   conner65

conner65

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:38 PM

The problem I have with this whole deal is the lease fee. I think that is nickle and dime B.S. With the lease fee they will get their money back in 2 years and they require an 18 month committment.
GO FALCONS!
directtv Genie

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:00 PM

The lease fee is identical to the extra receiver fee and replaces that fee.

You can lease your box and pay the same as if you bought your box per month. The difference is the committment.

#29 OFFLINE   conner65

conner65

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:47 PM

I was not aware of that. Thanks for the clarification.
GO FALCONS!
directtv Genie

#30 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

:new_puppy I want it,, I want it.:new_puppy 1 Apr is so far away but I want my rebate too. :icon_cry:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...