Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about R10 bought from Ebay

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GRich

GRich

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:59 AM

I recently bought an R10 off of Ebay and was going to activate it as the third Dvr in our house. When I called to activate the CSR told me that the previous owner had been turned over to collections due of nonpayment of their bill. They told me that this Dvr couldn't be activated under my name because of that and then they offered me what turned out to be an R15 for a total of $14.95. I ended up taking the new R15 but now as I have been reading some of the other posts, I am wondering if I should have hung up on that CSR and called in again to try it with a different CSR. Does anyone know if what the first one told me is true that I now have a perfectly good R10 sitting here in the box and it can never again be activated. I don't like the menus or the remote on the R15 after using my other two Tivo Dvrs and am wondering if it is still possible to get the R15 deactivated and the R10 I got from ebay activated after all. Thanks for any suggestions you have in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:19 AM

No, it's true. Did the R10 come from Texas? If so, it probably is one of the receivers that was affected by the big satellite pirate bust last year. In that case, until the whole mess is cleared up, that R10 is as dead as if it was stuck on the "Welcome, Powering up" message. About the only thing you could do in that case is file a complaint with PayPal, if you used it to pay. You were sold a receiver fraudulently.

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:23 AM

That's one of the hazards of buying receivers off of eBay. I believe the only way you could get the R10 activated would be to pay the past due bill.

I purchased a used E* receiver once off of ebay from a retailer (not private party) who listed that the receiver was clear. When I called E* to activate, they said there was still a balance owing on it. I had to return it to the retailer who didn't have a unit to replace it (and had no record of who they got the receiver from). I got my money back from them, but I really don't think they can just wipe the balance clean because someone else owns it now.

Was it a private party you bought it from? Did they advertise that it was clear? Have you explained it to the seller, and what did they say? Did you pay using PayPal and can take advantage of the buyer protection?

When I talked to E* about that receiver, they cited privacy concerns in telling me they could not tell me who the previous owner was or even how much was owed.

Good Luck, and respond back if you get this worked out as to how you did it, but I think you're hosed unless you can get your money back from PayPal or the seller.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,037 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

There are still some on-line retailers who have R10's in stock. You can get an R10 that way. If you have not yet gotten the R15 from D* (and thus used the rebate), you can submit a rebate request and get the $100 back.

Carl

#5 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:29 AM

That's one of the hazards of buying receivers off of eBay. I believe the only way you could get the R10 activated would be to pay the past due bill.

That's impossible, JLP. D* uses a different method than E*. With D*, the PPVs are kept on the access card, therefore it is possible that you can owe on PPVs bought through that receiver, still sell it and have the buyer be able to use it (with a new access card).

The issue is is most likely the entire account is in collections or the account was involved in some type of signal piracy such as the pirate ring broken up last year in Texas. It would be impossible, not to mention pointless, to help out such a person. The fact that they sold a receiver they knew was impossible to activate should tell you a lot about them-why would you help out someone like that ?

That's the problem with E* subscribers commenting on D* specific issues. Very often, the two companies do things in very different ways, so the E* specific advice is useless.

#6 OFFLINE   GRich

GRich

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:06 PM

It was a private party that I bought it from but they were in Pittsburg so it probably doesn't have anything to do with the Texas thing. The seller said that they were selling it for a friend and it did come in the original box so I know that it probably wasn't stolen from somewhere else. I didn't complain about it to paypal or ebay, I didn't pay much for it and figured I got an 80gb hard drive out of the deal and also a spare remote for my Tivos not to mention spare parts for my working R10 in case anything ever happens to it.

#7 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

Newshawk,

May just be me, but I can't help but feel hammered from your post. What gives?

First of all, I am a D* subscriber since 1996 and have only used E* equipment for SkyAngel reception. I have never been an E* subscriber.

Secondly, I was just relating my experience in an attempt to offer some possible ways to approach the problem.

Maybe it was my mistake to put the most UNLIKELY solution in the first line, but all I was doing was with my post was trying to help.

"That's the problem with E* subscribers commenting on D* specific issues. Very often, the two companies do things in very different ways, so the E* specific advice is useless." Jump off, dude.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

THere are still brand new R10's out there if you want them. If you havent used the $100 rebate already, they end up being free after rebate until the end of Feb. Makes no sense to buy a used one off of eBay unless you have already used the $100 rebate...unless I missed it, no mention of it here.

#9 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:28 AM

Newshawk,

May just be me, but I can't help but feel hammered from your post. What gives?

Sorry, JLP, I guess I let my frustrations out on the wrong person. I didn't mean to hammer you personally. It's just that I've read a few posts lately that tried to compare E* equipment directly to D* equipment... for example, in a thread on D* receiver signal strengths, someone was talking about the acceptable signal strenghts on his E* receiver. As you know, D*'s signal strength is measure on a 100 point scale, while E*'s signal strength is measured on a 125 point scale. As a result, all the info he was giving had no bearing whatsoever on the topic of that thread, D* receiver signal strengths. So many times incorrect info is running around out there and I hate to see someone muddying the waters by comparing apples to oranges.

Again, I am sorry for sounding like I was hammering you. I did not mean that at all. Please forgive me.

#10 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:35 PM

Newshawk,

I understand your frustrations and try to do my best not to add to the confusion. I have seen those types of comparisons between D* and E* and wonder sometimes if the posters feel they are helping. I've also seen an awful lot of complaining about D* policies and threats to go to cable, etc. and wonder why people don't just go and stop complaining.

There is a lot of great information on these boards - yours included. It does peg my meter sometimes to see off the wall information - especially when it's an attempt to help someone and does just the opposite.

I may have let your post hit a raw nerve - my bad. Thanks for the response, and you definitely have my forgiveness.

#11 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:51 PM

I logged into my account on DirecTV last night. If you go to order a dvr and enter the code DVR4ME, you can get a Tivo for $14.95 shipping. (no rebates)

Includes a DIRECTV® DVR (with TiVo® technology) with up to 35 hours of storage capability. Offer requires activation of DIRECTV® DVR service (only $5.99 per month — no matter how many DVRs you have.) The DVR service fee is waived for customers subscribing to TOTAL CHOICE PREMIER programming. This offer does not qualify for the DVR rebate. Your DIRECTV® DVR will be shipped to you and a DIRECTV installer will provide standard professional installation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...